Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jailed for insulting Islam

Ashotep

Islam al-Behairy faced an uproar in April after remarks he made on his programme "With Islam", in which he called for reforms in "traditional Islamic discourse".

On his show on private satellite channel Al-Kahera Wel Nas, Behairy often questioned ancient Islamic preachings and centuries-old interpretations of the faith.

http://news.yahoo.co...-154950950.html

This is why I don't have much hope for Islam to change anytime soon, especially the Sunni's. I don't see where this man made fun of the religion.

• Like 5

Wow, that's just great! Thing's are looking up in Egypt! :tu:

This guy's sentenced was reduced after he insulted some dead guy's opinion about religion. Ground breaking stuff here Egypt, you've come a long way! :gun:

• Like 8

Nothing surprises me, suppose he is lucky he was not sentenced to death. :whistle:

• Like 8

What really gets me is this is after the president said Islam needed to change. However this isn't the first time they have jailed someone because they felt Islam had been insulted. Any Muslims that do want change don't stand a chance because I don't think there is enough of them. If there was they would be protesting this mans arrest.

• Like 3

Many western nations have laws against "blasphemy", or religious insults. You can get jailed for this in Austria, Denmark, Italy, the UK, Greece or Israel, among others.

• Like 1

Where did the "religion of peace" label come from? It's being used almost ironically now, when you look at the offences of Islam (hold your semantics,) compared to any other faith over the last 100 years. Serious question. Why isn't Buddhism the religion of peace? Hell, even Mormonism is a better candidate.

It sounds like a term that came from apologists, not from within the religion itself.

• Like 6

Many western nations have laws against "blasphemy", or religious insults. You can get jailed for this in Austria, Denmark, Italy, the UK, Greece or Israel, among others.

So? Doesn't make this instance any less wrong. Two wrongs do not make a right.

• Like 7

So? Doesn't make this instance any less wrong. Two wrongs do not make a right.

No, but maybe some shouldn't sit on such a high horse and say it's Islam itself that is the problem. The article states Egypt has blasphemy laws for the three religions it recognizes: Christianity, Islam and Judaism. Backward thinking is coherent all over the world, sadly.

This man didn't insult Islam, he just called for change.
  • Like 3

Again, so? How is that suppose to help or hinder this man? Just because some other group might do something similar doesn't make it right.

• Like 2

Again, so? How is that suppose to help or hinder this man? Just because some other group might do something similar doesn't make it right.

That's not the point at all.

No, but maybe some shouldn't sit on such a high horse and say it's Islam itself that is the problem. The article states Egypt has blasphemy laws for the three religions it recognizes: Christianity, Islam and Judaism. Backward thinking is coherent all over the world, sadly.

Hey, I don't hold much love for any religion, be it a death cult or an actual religion of peace. However, this is about islam, and islam is the problem currently.

• Like 3

To say Denmark has a law against it might be true but it's not enforced at all. The last time it was used was in 1938. Some people might remember this incident: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyllands-Posten_Muhammad_cartoons_controversy which clearly falls under that law and yet no one was jailed but rather people and polititians said this incident fell under freedom of speach.

• Like 1

So, if I insult certain religious ideologies I can be fined, jailed, physically disabled or be killed.

Whatever! That is so backwards, insane, etc as to make me puke AND actually want to insult.

• Like 5

So, if I insult certain religious ideologies I can be fined, jailed, physically disabled or be killed.

Whatever! That is so backwards, insane, etc as to make me puke AND actually want to insult.

I should've been dead by now. :innocent: Voice your opinion and everyone get's all butthurt over it. Like a bunch of crybaby children.

I've checked the label and humanity's past it's expiration date. No wonder everything's going sour.

• Like 3

I'm against any blasphemy laws, they allow religion to spew anything they want but your not allowed to question it. Religious communism. That is dangerous.

The man in the article never insulted Islam he was just calling for change, questioned traditional Islam. They use this law to shut him up because they don't want change.

• Like 7

I should've been dead by now. :innocent: Voice your opinion and everyone get's all butthurt over it. Like a bunch of crybaby children.

I've checked the label and humanity's past it's expiration date. No wonder everything's going sour.

I would say that this world keeps getting more and more interesting, but then again I would need to offer trigger warnings because the word "this" contains "his" which is a clear indicator the I support the oppression and suppression of someone, somewhere.

• Like 3

I would say that this world keeps getting more and more interesting, but then again I would need to offer trigger warnings because the word "this" contains "his" which is a clear indicator the I support the oppression and suppression of someone, somewhere.

Don't feel too bad. I'm a white guy, which means I'm the root of all the worldly evil to some people. Just wish people would leave each other alone. I mean, your faith is not you. It's just a belief like so many other beliefs, and if you're that insecure in your beliefs that you have to harm people. Why have it?

• Like 5

Hey, I don't hold much love for any religion, be it a death cult or an actual religion of peace. However, this is about islam, and islam is the problem currently.

Religions don't jail people. People do. ;)

• Like 2

Where did the "religion of peace" label come from? It's being used almost ironically now, when you look at the offences of Islam (hold your semantics,) compared to any other faith over the last 100 years. Serious question. Why isn't Buddhism the religion of peace? Hell, even Mormonism is a better candidate.

It sounds like a term that came from apologists, not from within the religion itself.

As far as I know it is a post 9/11 term, with Bush being one of the first to use it.

• Like 1

What really gets me is this is after the president said Islam needed to change. However this isn't the first time they have jailed someone because they felt Islam had been insulted. Any Muslims that do want change don't stand a chance because I don't think there is enough of them. If there was they would be protesting this mans arrest.

I don't know,seems like there's enough of Americans but if ever they had to gather up and stop tyranny would they? I can understand the fear they live with but I can't understand pretending that islam is a peaceful religion, when true islam is not peaceful. But they,people like this administration, continue to pretend & reverse the claim and imply that the radicals are not practicing after the prophet. I hate islam.

• Like 1

I'm against any blasphemy laws, they allow religion to spew anything they want but your not allowed to question it. Religious communism. That is dangerous.

The man in the article never insulted Islam he was just calling for change, questioned traditional Islam. They use this law to shut him up because they don't want change.

And I agree with the guy.

The more I look into Islam the more I believe it needs a reformation, like our own Christian one.

Remove the outdated medieval ideas like

woman = property = martial rape is fine = killing women for committing adultery is cool = honor killing female relatives that were raped is fine

You know, purging the things that are making it hard for Muslims to assimilate into modern liberal western democracies because, you know, these ideas are medieval and just backwards.

Edited by bubblykiss
  • Like 2