Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Mars discovery "one for the history books"

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#31    Chooky88

Chooky88

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

Last time they made an historic announcement I died if boredom and needed resuscitation. It will be some dull carbon chemical

#32    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,111 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

View PostChooky88, on 21 November 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

Last time they made an historic announcement I died if boredom and needed resuscitation. It will be some dull carbon chemical

I assume it's less exiting than ketchup :

It wasn't scientific caution that kept Zare from announcing his results. It was a rule many scientific journals enforce that says scientists are not allowed to talk about their research until the day it's officially published. Zare had to follow the rules if he wanted his paper to come out.

He did break down and tell his family. "I remember at the dinner table with great excitement explaining to my wife, Susan, and my daughter, Bethany, what it was we were doing," says Zare. And then he experienced something many parents can relate to when talking to their kids.

"Bethany looked at me and said, 'pass the ketchup.' So, not everybody was as excited as I was," he says.

http://www.npr.org/2...sts-mum-for-now

(but it could be about the 1996 discovery)

My guess: iridium.

Edited by Abramelin, 21 November 2012 - 12:24 PM.

#33    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

Well the last huge discovery they made was that lifeform on earth and they didn't really make thta big of a deal out of it.

So by the way they are boldly saying it's "one for the history books" it must be a bigger discovery than that surely.

Or they are causing loads of hype, if so then it's a pretty pathetic thing to do. Also why nto jsut tell everyone what they think they have found and then say "but we are not sure yet?" What's with all the hype and then makign a big deal out of it. It's like they treat the public like children. Media does this with games and films etc with announcements, I expect more from Nasa. :td:

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#34    ExoPaul

ExoPaul

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

They have discovered evidence of Elithium....... the fact they found this evidence inside a dead Muton half buried in the Martian sand is beside the point, the fact is..... they found evidence of a new element!

#35    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

If they've found sufficiently complex organic compounds, the most reasonable explanation for them would be the presence of life on Mars. Whatever it is they've found, we won't have to wait too long to hear about it. The news conference about this matter will reportedly be held at the meeting of the American Geophysical Union in San Francisco on Dec. 3rd through 7th.

#36    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

View Postseeder, on 21 November 2012 - 02:35 AM, said:

Did you read it? The reveal comes in a couple of weeks once they double check the data..

This was originally posted on the UFO boards.  I never post anything here because you-know-who told me to get lost and never come back.

#37    Socio

Socio

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

Would be  real cool if it is a fossil of some sort.

#38    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,956 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

I asked my boss who is on the science team and she just smiled and said she couldn't tell me.

Very exciting.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#39    paperdyer

paperdyer

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

Maybe they will find evidence that WE ARE THE MARTIANS!  We wrecked one world and started over on another.  The cycle repeats.  Venus is next!

#40    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

a dark, sarcastic, depressing blanket of nihilism

• 25,401 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

View PostChooky88, on 21 November 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

Yes, exactly. The kind of things that Scientists consider epoch making is not necessarily what the ordinary Person would.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#41    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,443 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

The phrase the NASA scientist used was 'one for the history books'. I doubt that this new discovery will be of interest to scientists only, and boring to almost everyone else. If they had something of this sort, he could have said, instead: 'it will cause us to rewrite the textbooks on Mars'. We'll know what it is in a couple of weeks.

Edited by bison, 21 November 2012 - 04:13 PM.

#42    Ashyne

Ashyne

Atheist & Skeptic

• 1,638 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

They discovered that Mars once had flowing water, again. This time, it's a confirmation.

#43    blind pew

blind pew

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

NASA = never a straight answer

#44    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,969 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

Hot dog stand?

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#45    ShadowBoy86x

ShadowBoy86x

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

View Postblind pew, on 21 November 2012 - 04:43 PM, said:

NASA = never a straight answer

that gets used to much, please stop lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users