Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Discount offered to gun-carrying customers

Still Waters

Walk into many stores, restaurant or workplaces nowadays, and you see the signs reading "No weapons allowed."

But a popular local restaurant is bucking that trend by not only encouraging people to show off their guns, but offering a discount to those who do.

http://www.wafb.com/...rying-customers

Interesting, living in the UK I would never experience such a thing. I'm just trying to decide if I'd feel more of less safe going to a restaurant with everyone walking round with guns. I guess with armed cops there I would feel safe but of the civilians I'd have no idea which ones were nutters or on illegal drugs or even mentally ill and on psychiatric medication.

• Like 1

Interesting, living in the UK I would never experience such a thing. I'm just trying to decide if I'd feel more of less safe going to a restaurant with everyone walking round with guns. I guess with armed cops there I would feel safe but of the civilians I'd have no idea which ones were nutters or on illegal drugs or even mentally ill and on psychiatric medication.

I'm not familiar with this particular town but it's probably pretty small -everyone knows everyone else kind of place. Probably very friendly, actually. The discount for wearing guns would be a plus in most small southern towns - except AT THE BAR!
  • Like 1

different rate for Loaded and unloaded weaponry ~ shoot a rat and you get a free cheeseburger ~

• Like 1

Take's "Do you want fries with that?" to a different level... :yes:

Yeah, it'd be like...

"Do you want fries with that? Well, punk, do you?"

(add your own Clint Eastwood squinty stare for best effect)

• Like 2

Well, would you open fire in a place full of people who can fire back? Probably not and probably not anyone else either.

Verdict: Safe

• Like 4

I guess with armed cops there I would feel safe but of the civilians I'd have no idea which ones were nutters or on illegal drugs or even mentally ill and on psychiatric medication.

lmao, sure thing, cops here show everyday how safe they make thing around you. wake up. it is the cops that will kill you a lot sooner than any nutter, looks like you see everyone in usa either nutters or on illegal drugs or even mentally ill and on psychiatric medication.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

I'm assuming Europeans think regular US civilians are walking around with guns strapped to our hips in the open.

It's very rare to see someone with a gun in public, if they aren't a cop.

Of course, I'm not stupid enough to think that there aren't folks with concealed weapons out there right now....but it doesn't make me nervous.

• Like 5

I just envisioned someone accidentally discharging a weapon, then a bunch of people draw their guns to see who fired. The first person they spot with a gun drawn gets shot, it spirals out of control and you have a restaurant full of shot up people.

• Like 1

I just envisioned someone accidentally discharging a weapon, then a bunch of people draw their guns to see who fired. The first person they spot with a gun drawn gets shot, it spirals out of control and you have a restaurant full of shot up people.

rright, just like it happens in carry states everyday. if anything it would be a cop shooting first, killing some poor sob holding a fork, or a butter knife, and get promoted after

Edited by aztek

Growing up in a redneck bar, back in the day when it was illegal to carry guns into them, a lot of people had them anyway. Nobody was ever shot.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 2

I'm assuming Europeans think regular US civilians are walking around with guns strapped to our hips in the open.

It's very rare to see someone with a gun in public, if they aren't a cop.

To quote a line from that film, A Funny Thing on the Way to the Forum, "you know it's not true, I know it's not true. Who cares what others think?"

While in the US the general public in most states have no major issues seeing folk walk around brandishing weapons to various levels, the rest of the world reads stories like this and wonders if a heck of a lot of Americans still think themselves in the wild west. Which of course wasn't as it's shown in the films, but look at it from our side. We see reports of guys knocking around towns with what looks like machine guns strapped on their backs, we hear of how gun advocates want to do away with registers of gun owners, want to put more guns out in the public, and seem hell bent on arming the population on mass. Yes, it's perception, rightly or wrongly, but to read the above report and see a business that isn't technically in the gun trade offer deals to customers coming in armed is it any wonder that folk outside the US think such behaviour isn't a bit mad?

I've said before here on threads concerning gun ownership in the US, it's none of my business. Your country, your laws. But on the perception front, it does come across as rather strange. And possibly may be open to a legal challenge. After all, you reward one group but not say a non gun owner who might be a good customer for his or her regular trade, but because they don't carry they don't get a better deal in the same place?

Oh, one final bit. Been watching the new Hawaii Five 0, and a thought does pop on the thing of having McGarret and co. walking around Honolulu. Do your real plain clothes cops also go around with badges on belts and guns in holsters that everyone can see? Doesn't that sort of make the idea of plain clothes officers a bit redundant? :whistle:

Edited by Shayde
  • Like 1

Do your real plain clothes cops also go around with badges on belts and guns in holsters that everyone can see? :whistle:

only if they want you to see, normaly they cover it, but iti s very easy to spot such cop. bulletproof vest shows from under clothes, and almost brick size radios that always make noise are giveaways. also they almost always have a badge on the chain around their neck, rearly on the belt, unless off duty, nothing like in the movies

Edited by aztek

To quote a line from that film, A Funny Thing on the Way to the Forum, "you know it's not true, I know it's not true. Who cares what others think?"

While in the US the general public in most states have no major issues seeing folk walk around brandishing weapons to various levels, the rest of the world reads stories like this and wonders if a heck of a lot of Americans still think themselves in the wild west. Which of course wasn't as it's shown in the films, but look at it from our side. We see reports of guys knocking around towns with what looks like machine guns strapped on their backs, we hear of how gun advocates want to do away with registers of gun owners, want to put more guns out in the public, and seem hell bent on arming the population on mass. Yes, it's perception, rightly or wrongly, but to read the above report and see a business that isn't technically in the gun trade offer deals to customers coming in armed is it any wonder that folk outside the US think such behaviour isn't a bit mad?

I've said before here on threads concerning gun ownership in the US, it's none of my business. Your country, your laws. But on the perception front, it does come across as rather strange. And possibly may be open to a legal challenge. After all, you reward one group but not say a non gun owner who might be a good customer for his or her regular trade, but because they don't carry they don't get a better deal in the same place?

Oh, one final bit. Been watching the new Hawaii Five 0, and a thought does pop on the thing of having McGarret and co. walking around Honolulu. Do your real plain clothes cops also go around with badges on belts and guns in holsters that everyone can see? Doesn't that sort of make the idea of plain clothes officers a bit redundant? :whistle:

Oh, the power of the press and Hollywood!

Although there are extremely dangerous parts of towns, much like there are anywhere, shootouts and gun accidents are very rare. Guns are so common we kind of just assume everyone has one. When I was a child, of six years old, you'd already been taught not to touch it if you found one. You knew what they could do, because you'd been target practicing, and the mystique was totally gone. It wasn't like a "forbidden fruit" so to speak. You gave your parent's property, including their guns, respect.

Things changed...drastically in the 80's. Your guess is as good as mine as to what it was. There is nothing to be flippant about.

• Like 1

Ha, I actually drove by this town on the interstate highway. Just another highway exit. But Louisiana is kind of weird, just to drive through anyway.

could i get the discount and Supersized for a BIG gun? How about a double order for Two guns?

If I walk in there with a squirt gun can I get the discount?

Oh! I know! Go in with a spud gun. That way you can also get ammo insitu, and be a proud bearer or arms. Non lethal arms yes, but still, it ought to count. :yes:

Yes, yes, poking fun at the idea. Can't help it... :whistle:

I wonder if there is a limit on the size of the guns ?

~ What's the smallest pistol out there I can get ? Cheapest one I mean ... that would make the discount really count ~ :yes:

~

I wonder if there is a limit on the size of the guns ?

~ What's the smallest pistol out there I can get ? Cheapest one I mean ... that would make the discount really count ~ :yes:

~

i doubt you can get any, legaly that is.

• Like 1

i doubt you can get any, legaly that is.

that's true ~ I wonder they check for licensed firearms when offering the discount ...

~

that's true ~ I wonder they check for licensed firearms when offering the discount ...

~

they are not leos, not to mention not all states have actual lisence that one has to carry

they are not leos, not to mention not all states have actual lisence that one has to carry

well then ... does that not make this offer of discounts discriminatory and prejudiced against those that do not own firearms ?

~

well then ... does that not make this offer of discounts discriminatory and prejudiced against those that do not own firearms ?

~

Maybe, but so what?