Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Warrior Women of America

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

The Pentagon opens combat roles to women, marking a milestone in the long history of armed women in the United States that starts in the Revolutionary War.

Molly Pitcher

One American warrior woman was on the front lines before there was even a United States. Mary Ludwig-Hays accompanied her artilleryman husband, William Hays, to Valley Forge and then to the Battle of Monmouth in 1778.

Calamity Jane

After the revolution was won, warrior women moved west with the advancing Manifest Destiny of the American frontier. One of them was Martha Jane Canary. She was born in Missouri, but moved west with her family until a series of calamities left her scraping to support her siblings in Piedmont, Wyoming.

Moving Robe Woman

While Martha Jane Canary brought calamity down upon the Native Americans, one woman warrior was fighting back.

In 1876, Moving Robe Woman of the Hunkpapa Lakota sought revenge for the death of her brother, One Hawk, during the Battle of Little Big Horn, famous as Custer's last stand. Moving Robe Woman rode out for vengeance with another group of warriors to bolster the Lakota assault on Custer's 7th Cavalry.
Annie Oakley
One of the first Americans to call for women to be allowed to serve in combat was another star of Buffalo Bill's show, Phoebe Ann Moses, better known as Annie Oakley.

Laura Bullion

Walking Robe Woman and Mary Ludwig-Hays were fighting for their people's survival, while Calamity Jane and Annie Oakley, despite their rough streaks, were generally known for their heroic adventures. Other American warrior women were decidedly wicked.

Laura Bullion was an outlaw, who rode with Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid's Wild Bunch.

Etta Place

Or maybe Bullion wasn't the last Wild Bunch woman. Etta Place, the lover of the Sundance Kid, disappeared after the probable death of the Kid in a shootout with Bolivian soldiers.

Bonnie Parker

Unlike Place, the end of the short, violent life of Bonnie Parker was well-documented. Advances in the mass media during the early 20th century made Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow infamous and famous on the national stage right up to their gruesome finale.

more: http://news.discover...ures-130125.htm

Edited by Render, 31 January 2013 - 09:47 AM.

#2    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

So true but I don't think Annie Oakley really served in combat.

#3    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,476 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

The Pentagon opens combat roles to women

Hope they are not using Bonnie Parker as a role model.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#4    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,887 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

If they all look like this, them I'm joining up again!

Edited by ealdwita, 31 January 2013 - 04:28 PM.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,450 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

I think even if they didn't serve in combat these are women that could of.

#6    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• 1,362 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

I don't recall any "heroic adventures" on Annie Oakley's part. She was just a famous trick shot, and is generally considered not to have been as good as her near-contemporary, Elizabeth (Plinky) Topperwein.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users