Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are we on the verge of a 6th mass extinction?

UM-Bot

Earth could see three quarters of its animal species go extinct within the next few decades.

An extinction event on par with that which wiped out the dinosaurs could occur within as little as 100 years, that is according to a new report by the scientific journal Nature.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/275857/are-we-on-the-verge-of-a-6th-mass-extinction

• Like 2

I always mourn the lose of potentially delicious animals/plants.

I can only hope that humanity has the foresight to save the genes of these delicious animals and plants for future generations to deep fry, broil, bbq, bake, roast, steam. saute, fry or, even, boil.

• Like 2

Apart from the Dinosaurs what were the other 5.

• Like 1

Apart from the Dinosaurs what were the other 5.

http://en.wikipedia....xtinction_event

Throughout the history of our little blue ball (yeah, yeah IKR) events occur that end the genetic potential of an astounding numbers of species. With 5 shockingly large and devastating events already documented we stand now at the beginning of another.

To put it into context...wasp-monkey-dogs will form an intelligent society in only 3.5m years and we get to witness the genesis of it all.

Lucky us.

edit; pt 2.

If you don't mind cartoon boobies watch "This ugly yet beautiful world" a Japanese cartoon that uses the mass extinctions as a basis for its plot...that and transformation and lots of cartoon boobies. But, really, it does use and explain the great dying offs very well within the context of evolution.

Edited by bubblykiss

Well, with the direction the world is going, extinction is really the best thing for earth. I don't just mean the animals, but all people. Yes, I AM a nihilist but the world is swirling down the drain anyway and it's for the best that we all die off together. Let whatever next generation of sentient creatures, or even the next race of animal that spawns from the ashes, rule over the world, and perhaps they (or it) will do a better job than we did.

Shhhh....You'll be giving the government yet another excuse to invent some kind of tax!

• Like 2

Shhhh....You'll be giving the government yet another excuse to invent some kind of tax!

The NSA has infiltrated several pods of hostile penguins to gain intel on extinction training and tactics.

I assume humans are in that 26% of mammals?

Well, with the direction the world is going, extinction is really the best thing for earth. I don't just mean the animals, but all people. Yes, I AM a nihilist but the world is swirling down the drain anyway and it's for the best that we all die off together. Let whatever next generation of sentient creatures, or even the next race of animal that spawns from the ashes, rule over the world, and perhaps they (or it) will do a better job than we did.

Not exactly. Anything that can exterminate us (including us) will exterminate most other species in the process. The earth is not going to come out of this better than it went in.

Doug

The dominant species will prevail, and the rest will fall by the wayside, interesting times ahead I would say.

Edited by Oxo1

Guest Br Cornelius

The dominant species will prevail, and the rest will fall by the wayside, interesting times ahead I would say.

There is no certainty about that. Certainly the insects, rats, mice and molluscs will survive another great extinction - but man has never faced the challenge of surviving through the collapse of the ecosystem before. He came close to been wiped out by a single volcanic eruption and what we currently face is far more dire than that. Clever will only get you so far when everything changes suddenly.

Br Cornelius

I'd like to say that we had a good run, but that's debatable. If we survive, maybe a fresh start will do us good.

• Like 2

This planet can only support so much life. With the human species polluting and being overpopulated something has to give somewhere else. One day it will be us that has to give because there will be no more left to take.

• Like 1

This doesn't take into account the idea of reversing the process of extinction. Look into the research being done on bringing back previously lost species (in particular certain breeds of goats, pigeons, and the thylacine.) The genetic work being done on the woolly mammoth also looks promising, given enough time. Similarly, the process is being viewed in terms of restoring lost ecosystems as well. We live in interesting times, and not all signs are pointing towards devastation and destruction. As much as we destroy, we can rebuild and good people are looking to do just that.

For all the good Humans have done, its equalled by the damage we've done as well, deforestation, pollution, well a myriad of things. - But once we pass the threshold there will be no-way back. when its over its going to be over.

• Like 1

For all the good Humans have done, its equalled by the damage we've done as well, deforestation, pollution, well a myriad of things. - But once we pass the threshold there will be no-way back. when its over its going to be over.

I look at it like this ! We are but here ,for the Dumb Luck of just that ! Dumb Luck. Party Hard while we can ,Tomorrow may bring the End of everything. ANd we cannot even do a thing about it !

Happy Christmas, Holidays, WHat ever Y`all Believe !

Good to See you Postin Stevewinn!