Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Time to Give Up on Lake Monsters

Rafterman

Noted Cryptozoologist Matt Bille's thoughts on the state of "lake monsters" in 2013. There's just no "there" there. It's time to finally give up on them and let them reside in the annals of myth where they belong.

http://mattbille.blogspot.com/2013/03/give-up-on-lake-monsters.html

Some may think me illogical, since I believe in an oceangoing unknown of which there are NO photographs (the Mary F pictures are completely unconvincing.) But there's a difference between a breeding population in 139 million square miles of ocean and one in a lake, even a big lake.

I salute and encourage the efforts of those who try to find creatures in such lakes. I wish you amazing success. You may find something that's wandered up form the oceans: it can happen with known animals, it can happen with unknown ones.

But I'm not anticipating you'll find any endemic lake creatures. Years pass bringing more evidence, but never bringing hard evidence. I think it's a gap that will never be closed.

About Matt Bille:

http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/moc-bille/

• Like 4

He doubts!...until he gets eaten by one!

I like this from Bille "...large undiscovered animals lurk almost at our doorstep..."

And thus my obsession with bigfoot! Though I don't believe anymore i still like the "idea".

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

He doubts!...until he gets eaten by one!

I like this from Bille "...large undiscovered animals lurk almost at our doorstep..."

And thus my obsession with bigfoot! Though I don't believe anymore i still like the "idea".

Well I think we all like the "idea".

I never put a great deal of faith in lake monsters myself, lakes are relatively small and a creature of the size and type described would simply have been spotted on a more frequent basis. You can't hide a battleship in a river for very long.

• Like 2

I gave up on lake monsters a long time ago. Now Bigfoot is another story.

Some lakes(very few) are quite unique, being very deep with extensive, unexplored caverns and some with an unknown deep water source.

Sorry, I have no links.

• Like 1

Some lakes(very few) are quite unique, being very deep with extensive, unexplored caverns and some with an unknown deep water source.

Sorry, I have no links.

The Scottish lochs are like this, which is why so many people still hunt for monsters there. I read somewhere that it has extensive underground and underwater caverns which no one has been able to explore. If I was rich I'd fund an expedition lol,.

• Like 1

This is what you get when people's critical thinking is subverted by social business media. Some people went to the Loch and sought for an highly active pelagic (near the surface) plesiosaur-like animal instead of a benthic (near the bottom) giant amphibian only active during the summer. No wonder why they left empty-handed. Now I fear if it's may be too late for finding one.

I'm inclined to agree, although the Ilamina Lake Monster, as a large fish in a pretty large lake, still seems possible.

Whatever cryptozoologists decide to do about lake monsters, three things will continue to happen:

1) people will continue to see lake monsters

2) ambiguous evidence will continue to surface

3) a cryptid or the remains of one will continue to not surface

By giving up on lake monsters cryptozoologists are missing a golden opportunity to understand why people see things that are not there which is the root of many cryptozoological mysteries...

• Like 2

NW just nailed it...

The creatures that live in these lakes my phaseshift or disapear to another realm ;). Making them all the more ellusive and all the greater reward for the catch. We could have connections to ofher worlds or realitys we hve yet to even begin to understand. Besides that there have been lake monsters for sure, almost positive there was a pleiasaur in one at some time, but it might be long dead. Either way aren't alligators and crocodiles scary enough? Let alone a bullshark that can swim 300miles+ up stream.

Sorry, I have no links.

True - but that doesn't mean that its appropriate to assume that there are large, undiscovered, aquatic mega-fauna residing in them. Big animals need lots of food AND a healthy population to maintain species diversity. Then you need to think about the food chain that these large animals would participate in - there is simply no evidence for that.

The ONLY thing we have to support Lake Monsters are sightings. Thats it. Crypto sightings are driven by belief, confirmation bias, and pareidolia - not by reality. Not to mention that in places like Loch Ness there is a healthy tourist industry that needs a continued belief in the monster to survive.

I gave up on lake monsters a long time ago. Now Bigfoot is another story.

Its just a matter of time until these "creatures" are in the same file as witches, Trolls and Dragons.

Where they belong.