Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

10 Things You Didn't Know About Voodoo Dolls

Still Waters

Voodoo Dolls reminds us of creepy ghostly movies we saw in our childhood like the cruel 'Chucky' from Child's play, Dolly Dearest and even Karishma Kapoor's Bollywood flick, Papi Gudiya. These dolls no doubt gave us chilly goosebumps and nightmares; however, they are far from the real voodoo dolls.

While the real voodoo dolls can be scary, their effect on targeted individuals is worse than what one can imagine. Voodoo dolls are the magical dolls created and used for taking revenge with one's enemies by destroying them slowly.

http://daily.bhaskar...-PHO.html?seq=1

Click on the image arrows to continue..

• Like 1

Growing up around Louisiana, you see this alot.

Edited by Karasu
  • Like 1

10 lies about Voodoo dolls maybe?

Got to number 5 and had to shut the tab down, does the author really believe this crap?

• Like 2

Growing up around Louisiana, you see this alot.

Makes me wish I grew up near Louisiana, would love to see how this 'works' and the fear it instils in people in action.

Makes me wish I grew up near Louisiana, would love to see how this 'works' and the fear it instils in people in action.

It's quite fascinating. Also, you can walk down streets with an open container. Nothing like walking to the corner store to get some more beer, while drinking a beer.

• Like 3

It's quite fascinating. Also, you can walk down streets with an open container. Nothing like walking to the corner store to get some more beer, while drinking a beer.

Sounds just like my local shops ;)

• Like 1

Makes me wish I grew up near Louisiana, would love to see how this 'works' and the fear it instills in people in action.

There, you've got it. It works by social factors, like fear, which can be pretty powerful. :unsure2:

• Like 1

I went to a great Voodoo ceremony, really enjoyed it, and it was effective! ... no dolls or pins anywhere .

• Like 1

I know two things about vodoo dolls. One I don't put much stock in the use of negative thoughts like that. It hurts the thinker. Two I think they are creepy.

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 2

I suppose for those who believe these stories and who have grown up around the superstition and evil portrayed around them, they become a part of their lives and if told there is a voodoo doll made for them, I can see how they can quite easily scare themselves to death (maybe a heart attack0, make themselves ill through worry or even commit suicide (which will be contributed to the doll demon doing it)

But it seems over time people have used it to gain power over others by scaring them with dark stories or by indoctrinating them to gain control over them, which is similar to many other religions.

Voodoo dolls are more complicated than they’re usually portrayed. A voodoo doll doesn’t actually symbolize a person in the respect that what happens to it, happens to the person. Instead, a doll is only associated with the person in question—usually by attaching a picture of the person, or something that was in intimate contact with them, such as a lock of hair (attaching this personification is actually the purpose of the voodoo straight pin usually seen in a voodoo doll, which is commonly believed to be an instrument of pain).

Other things are usually added to the doll, and these vary based on the intended purpose. Garlic, flower petals, perfumes, or even money can be added—not as a direct message to the person, but as an appeal to the spirits to open themselves to the doll and the wishes of those involved. The voodoo doll can be used for a huge variety of purposes, and most are benevolent. The voodoo doll in itself is not an evil or dark thing, but, like many religious and secular symbols, it can be made dark by the person who wields it.

http://listverse.com/2013/12/11/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-voodoo/

• Like 1

I had some Voodoo jackass try some hocus pocus crap with a doll on me once. He stuck a pin into the dolls head, I slapped him with my backhand.......guess which one of us felt pain.

Edited by Ralaman
  • Like 2

Dolls with pins looks similar to acupuncture. It might be done for medicine purposes, like unblocking flow of energy, relieving cramps, ridding pain and tumors. Using the dolls to inflict harm on a person is abuse and goes against any medicinal discipline.

• Like 2

I think voodoo can be useful.

But yet it's kind of a cowardly way to take out your enemy.

I rather walk up to my enemy and say:

Hello,

My name is inigo Montoya..

You drank my coffee...

Prepare to Die

• Like 2

I think voodoo can be useful.

my experience with it was great ! :)

But yet it's kind of a cowardly way to take out your enemy.

I rather walk up to my enemy and say:

Hello,

My name is inigo Montoya..

You drank my coffee...

Prepare to Die

It had nothing to do with any of that.

This idea sounds more like a 'poppet' in witchcraft and other practices that are NOT real Voodoo (or Voodou).

A Voodoo Doll , as you guys seem to be discussing is a USA invention ... a bit like Tex/mex food is nothing like Mexican food ( well not really , especially nowadays ... 'cheese' in a liquid dispenser ? ? ? < shudder> ... thats actually worse for you than any Voodoo Doll.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitian_Vodou#Myths_and_misconceptions see point 7

• Like 2