Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hispanics flee Arizona ahead of immigration l

Agent X

Arizona's tough new immigration enforcement law is fueling an exodus of Hispanics from the state seven weeks before it goes into effect, according to officials and residents in the state.

Though no one has precise figures, reports from school officials, businesses and individuals indicate worried Hispanics — both legal and illegal — are leaving the state in anticipation of the law, which will go into effect July 29.

Schools in Hispanic areas report unusual drops in enrollment. The Balsz Elementary School District is 75% Hispanic, and within a month of the law's passage, the parents of 70 students pulled them out of school, said District Superintendent Jeffrey Smith. The district lost seven students over the same one-month period last year, and parents tell Smith the Arizona law is the reason for leaving.

My link

Good.

The only problem is I can see is that they'll probably come to California.

:angry2:

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rosewin

• Orkid

• Agent X

• venqax

Top Posters In This Topic

My link

Good.

Absolutely fabulous. I wonder who has come to the conclusion that "legal" Hispanics are leaving too. All in dread fear of this law. I think legal people know perfectly well that they have nothing to worry about. I never saw any Hispanic US citizens or green card holders take off running when the INS drove up. Not once.

My link

Good.

They can go to Los Angeles since the Mayor there has been on Arizonas case.

My link

Good.

California, New Mexico and Utah.

The only people that should be concerned with ANY tightening of the US immigration policy are the ones that are here illegally.

As this article indicates, the only ones fleeing the "Tighten Law" are the ones that shouldn't be there to start with. Those who ARE legal aren't going to just pack up and more away from jobs, homes, family and friends. Just the ones that shouldn't be here to start with.

If EVERY state in our Union had this kind of law being enforced, the Feds wouldn't have to worry about being responcible for catching and returning illegals.

I wish they'd make a law like that here.

Wow . I have always wondered who here was Rasist,Now I know.

How is it racist? Wouldn't it be more along the lines of "Nationalist" or "Patriotic"? Is it racist when a Frenchmen tells a German to come to his country legally? Is it racist when Canada enforces it's border laws on the US border?

Personally, I think it's just a bottom of the bucket, last ditch, effort when someone pulls the race card. Not everything in life revolves around race. Insisting that your government enforce teh laws is no more racist than insisting that they arrest bank robbers.

As a side note, "Mexican" isn't a "race", it's a nationality. As an additional side note, many Mexican would classify themselves as "white" and many are in fact whiter than I am. What's more, I'm part Creek Indian. Many Mexicans are of Mayan decent.... does it seem logical for one Native American to be racist against another Native American?

Throughout history countries have made laws against one group or another. It is usually during a war, famine, or some other such disaster. The victims are always the weakest members in society as well. Not as bad as the witch hunts and Inquisitions against heretic and Jews but the same elements.

Good.

I guess it is doing exactly what they wanted. Good for them.

Too bad. California is already in a lot of trouble. Add a couple million more illegals and maybe the state gov will crack.

I had heard large numbers of them were going to Utah.

Absolutely fabulous. I wonder who has come to the conclusion that "legal" Hispanics are leaving too. All in dread fear of this law. I think legal people know perfectly well that they have nothing to worry about. I never saw any Hispanic US citizens or green card holders take off running when the INS drove up. Not once.

I think the legals would be leaving because they are related to, married to, or are children of illegals. That would be my guess.

Wow . I have always wondered who here was Rasist,Now I know.

Wow. I know who is a Progresive now.

It is not Racist to enforce a law to catch ciminals. And illegal immigrants are criminals. I don't care if these people are Mexican, Columbian, Canadian, Australian, Kenyan, German, Japanese, or Indonesian. If they are here illegally, they are breaking the law and should be rounded up and sent home.

Edited by DieChecker

A lot of the legal immigrants may be scared or bothered because they have close family members that are here illegally and they are helping them out. It's the whole family unification thing.

As a side note, "Mexican" isn't a "race", it's a nationality. As an additional side note, many Mexican would classify themselves as "white" and many are in fact whiter than I am. What's more, I'm part Creek Indian. Many Mexicans are of Mayan decent.... does it seem logical for one Native American to be racist against another Native American?

Mexican is an ethnicity and a nationality. Most Mexicans race would be classified as mestizo so have both European and indigenous blood. Many who have lived in America for generations are very much American, they speak English as a primary language, yet their ethnicity is still Mexican.

If the race card was actually pulled, beyond these silly little laws, and actual ethnic tensions arose, it would be interesting to see what side they would take. Automatically they want to be ruled by the US and not Mexico. But the question would really be decided if they felt themselves defenders or if they felt themselves being attacked as well. In the end it is doubtful this population would want to be ruled by anything other than English speakers even if that meant themselves.

The true problem is though that most Americans are just not having baby's except for Hispanics and fundamentalists Christians. These are the two populations who will become the dominant groups if birthrates and immigration rates are left unchecked. The true question is does American wish to preserve its 'ethnic' integrity and push others out or if it wishes to maintain its 'institutional' integrity and pass on as a great inheritance its legacy in tact to changing demographics.

My link

Good.

They're already coming to Utah. :blink:

We have had a large number of illegals here in Northern Utah for quite some time now, they're growing at a shocking rate. I think Utah has been too 'lovey, huggy, welcome everyone we can convert to the dominant religion' for way too long and now we're up to our necks in it.

And yes, many of them do have relatives in SoCal and AZ who are heading up this way and have been, steadily for the last 20 years.

Edited by BlondiGeist

And the AZ economy going right into the toilet. They are reaping what they've sown.

Mexican is an ethnicity and a nationality. Most Mexicans race would be classified as mestizo so have both European and indigenous blood. Many who have lived in America for generations are very much American, they speak English as a primary language, yet their ethnicity is still Mexican.

Actually, they are generally refered to as "Latinos". Although, there is NO nation hwich goes by that name. An immigrant from Mexico may refer to himself as a Mexican in the same way that I might refer to myself as a German simply because my dads family came from there. It's not the same thing as being a member of a "Race of Germans". Nationality is not a race.
If the race card was actually pulled, beyond these silly little laws, and actual ethnic tensions arose, it would be interesting to see what side they would take. Automatically they want to be ruled by the US and not Mexico. But the question would really be decided if they felt themselves defenders or if they felt themselves being attacked as well. In the end it is doubtful this population would want to be ruled by anything other than English speakers even if that meant themselves.
"These Silly Laws" Silly? Really? Can you name any other country that doesn't have a policy regarding immigration or penalties for breaking those laws?So, ever country on the Earth has silly laws then?
The true problem is though that most Americans are just not having baby's except for Hispanics and fundamentalists Christians. These are the two populations who will become the dominant groups if birthrates and immigration rates are left unchecked.
Once again, it comes down to the word "Legal". If you're breaking the law and get caught, you should expect to pay a penalty for doing so. That penalty is supposed to be based on the level of offence. For instance, you don't get the death penalty for speeding nor would you likely be given a citation for murder.
The true question is does American wish to preserve its 'ethnic' integrity and push others out or if it wishes to maintain its 'institutional' integrity and pass on as a great inheritance its legacy in tact to changing demographics.
There is no homogenious American ethnicity. It's often said that we're a melting pot for just that reason.... although I think of us as more of a bag of mixed nuts.

The very fact that we have a wide ranging immigration policy demonstrates that we aren't all that concerned with an evolving culture or a different racial make up. People from all over the world are free to come here if they do so legally. (The Statue of Liberty said so and I'm not p[icking a fight with a copper lady).

As for our immigration policy being interpreted as "racist" or "wrong", it only is in as much as preferring more of one race or nationality over another. Since we, like any other country, can only absorb so many at a time, allowing or prefering illegal immigrants from one place over legal immigrants from any and every where else could be considered as being wrong. Since we have more illegals jumping the border than legals from the rest of the planet, we are by default demonstrating a preference for one land over any and all others. And yes, I DO think that's wrong.

English speaking Americans who are ethnic Mexicans call themselves Mexicans. Latinos and Hispanics are umbrella terms that include other ethnic groups beyond Mexicans. I should know because I am one.

We are not Indians, we are not white, we are mestizo, that is our official race. The census can say otherwise but academically our race is mestizo, our ethnicity is Mexican, and our nationality is American. Some of us do have more white blood than others but we never consider ourselves white. We know who we are, English speaking Mexicans who are American citizens, but ethnically we are not like you, not like Puerto Ricans, and not like Cubans.

Of course our ethnic group gets along well with other ethnic groups in America, including recent Mexican immigrants who are not part of our ethnic group but closely related, and it should stay that way as long as we are not targeted or feel that we are.

Edited by Rosewin

"...and it should stay that way as long as we are not targeted or feel that we are." No one and no law is targeting any race or ethnic group. Just illegal immigrants who break into our coutry. Conflabulating the two is like saying that purse snatcher laws are anti-black or that drinking and driving laws are anti-Irish or that putting up Christmas decorations is anti-Jew. Saying that enforcing our immigration laws is racist is racist in and of itself.

Throughout history countries have made laws against one group or another. The victims are always the weakest members in society as well. Not as bad as the witch hunts and Inquisitions against heretic and Jews but the same elements.

Wow. But in this case they aren't members of the society at all. They are criminals who are not even supposed to be here. The weakest members are being un-targeted! This sounds like englightened progress. Unless witches, heretics, and Jews are sneaking into the country too-- there we'd have to put our collective foot down.

"...and it should stay that way as long as we are not targeted or feel that we are." No one and no law is targeting any race or ethnic group. Just illegal immigrants who break into our coutry. Conflabulating the two is like saying that purse snatcher laws are anti-black or that drinking and driving laws are anti-Irish or that putting up Christmas decorations is anti-Jew. Saying that enforcing our immigration laws is racist is racist in and of itself.

That quote specifically pertained to the practice of the law and not just the concept the law. In addition that quote also applies to future 'measures' passed that are 'ethnically' based and how they affect us. Let us see how it is working in three months or half a year. If all is good and this is not ethnically based there is no worries. If more laws are passed and our specific demographic feels targeted and such 'issues' are pushed there will be considerations to be made for we are neighbors and friends but the past is also not easily forgotten. We are very patriotic, we fill our ranks and the front lines, beyond any other ethnic group if I am not mistaken.

This is just how history happens, time and again it has, this is nothing different.

Edited by Rosewin

Wow. But in this case they aren't members of the society at all. They are criminals who are not even supposed to be here.

I hate to break it to you but criminals are members of society as well.

I hate to break it to you but criminals are members of society as well.

Of course American criminals are members of society. Bad ones. That's why I didn't say criminals, I singled out the criminals who are not supposed to be here. I'm not just stereotyping all criminals. Jeez, that wouldn't be fair. There are direct descendants of the Mayflower who are criminals! Gosh.

"They're leaving to another state where they feel more welcome," he said. Un-quote.

No. They're leaving to a State where they can continue to break the law in peace and quiet and not be accountable for it. Among other things. :angry2:

English speaking Americans who are ethnic Mexicans call themselves Mexicans. Latinos and Hispanics are umbrella terms that include other ethnic groups beyond Mexicans. I should know because I am one.

We are not Indians, we are not white, we are mestizo, that is our official race. The census can say otherwise but academically our race is mestizo, our ethnicity is Mexican, and our nationality is American. Some of us do have more white blood than others but we never consider ourselves white.

Being one doesn't really make you a spokesperson for all of them. I can go outside right now and ask five different 'Hispanic' neighbors what they are and get five different answers. I've seen/heard it a hundred times.

RE: The bolded quote;

Why not? In and of itself that sounds like a racist statement. Is there something wrong with Hispanics who have more White in them that they would need to deny/hide/omit this?

Why don't you consider yourself an Hispanic Caucasian or something? Why does a bi-racial person have to be identified as JUST one ethnicity?

Take President Obama. Why is he 'just' Black? When it's a fact he is HALF Black, half White.

I don't understand any of it.

It just boils down to this; The United States cannot 'save' everyone who wants a better life when we haven't even gotten our own (who by no choice of their won, were BORN here and are legally 'Americans') taken care of satisfactorily. We just can't fit everyone. It's just logic. The law is the law and illegal is illegal. Come into the country the correct way and fine, lovely, dandy, great.

But don't sneak over here, lie, deceive, drain resources and live off other legal Americans and tell me how proud you are to be Hispanic or Mexican or Cholo or whatever and fly the Mexican flag over here and complain about AMERICA! Why not take their own country that's so wonderful, back and MAKE it better?