Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why the US demonises Venezuela's democracy

ExpandMyMind

On 30 May, Dan Rather, one of America's best-known journalists, announced that Venezuelan president Hugo Chávez would die "in a couple of months at most". Four months later Chávez is not only alive and campaigning but widely expected to win re-election on Sunday.

Such is the state of misrepresentation of Venezuela – it is probably the most lied-about country in the world – that a journalist can say almost anything about Chávez or his government and it is unlikely to be challenged, so long as it is negative. Even worse, Rather referred to Chávez as "the dictator" – a term that few, if any, political scientists familiar with the country would countenance.

Here is what Jimmy Carter said about Venezuela's "dictatorship" a few weeks ago: "As a matter of fact, of the 92 elections that we've monitored, I would say that the election process in Venezuela is the best in the world."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/oct/03/why-us-dcemonises-venezuelas-democracy

• Like 2

The fact that he hates the US and is working with the Iranians is reason enough to make him a target. If he's doing all this good for his nation I'm happy for them. It's rare when a pol does such things. But Hugo Chavez is no saint. Hizbullah has members working there and I've seen reports that missile bases are being planned and are being built.

Yawn.

• Like 2

Good article. Yes, MSM can say anthing at all about Venezuala, as long as it is bad. Ditto Iran.

Americans got to have their bogey men.

• Like 2

I didn't even know the US and Venezuela were at odds. I hate politics. It's always something.

I didn't even know the US and Venezuela were at odds. I hate politics. It's always something.

Any nation that sells oil for anything other than american dollars soon has the american gun pointed in thier face. Iraq sold oil for euros when ithe USA would only allow it to sell for food and we invaded (that's the real reason).
  • Like 1

I don't think the US cares about Venezuela anymore. The only time I've really seem them in the news in the last few years is when Chavez feels the need for some attention and spouts off something crazy.

• Like 1

Oh my god! Look what that evil Commie has doe to Venezuela:

Since 2004, when the government gained control over the oil industry and the economy had recovered from the devastating, extra-legal attempts to overthrow it (including the 2002 US-backed military coup and oil strike of 2002-2003), poverty has been cut in half and extreme poverty by 70%. And this measures only cash income. Millions have access to healthcare for the first time, and college enrolment has doubled, with free tuition for many students. Inequality has also been considerably reduced. By contrast, the two decades that preceded Chávez amount to one of the worst economic failures in Latin America, with real income per person actually falling by 14% between 1980 and 1998.

Oh my god! Look what that evil Commie has doe to Venezuela:

Since 2004, when the government gained control over the oil industry and the economy had recovered from the devastating, extra-legal attempts to overthrow it (including the 2002 US-backed military coup and oil strike of 2002-2003), poverty has been cut in half and extreme poverty by 70%. And this measures only cash income. Millions have access to healthcare for the first time, and college enrolment has doubled, with free tuition for many students. Inequality has also been considerably reduced. By contrast, the two decades that preceded Chávez amount to one of the worst economic failures in Latin America, with real income per person actually falling by 14% between 1980 and 1998.

Ah, but all that is very Unamerican, where is the world going to get to if there are no poor left we can call Looser to distract from our own misery?

Im half Venezuelan and Chavez is a idiot and a pig, under his rule the death rate of Homicides has increased in the ten thousands from 2,000 be. And i have been back a few times and it is getting worse and worse

• Like 1

Im half Venezuelan and Chavez is a idiot and a pig, under his rule the death rate of Homicides has increased in the ten thousands from 2,000 be. And i have been back a few times and it is getting worse and worse

I don't know about the animal, but I have to agree that he does not have a full set under his skull.

Yet the facts remain: For the majority of Venezuelans (which would be the abject poor) life has never been more promising, and even if Chavez started to eat children they would vote for him. For all that we have to be grateful to all those who over 200 years could not care less about those who hardly could afford to eat but pandered to the Spanish rooted minority.

And as long as that does not change, even if Chavez is defeated, there will be another Chavez... and this time with maybe even less in his set of marbles. And I don't see anybody willing to continue his social programs but Chavez.

That maybe however he has done some good things like improve transport by building new railways and new houses. But I know alot more than any American or any non Venezuelan for that matter

The fact that he hates the US and is working with the Iranians is reason enough to make him a target. If he's doing all this good for his nation I'm happy for them. It's rare when a pol does such things. But Hugo Chavez is no saint. Hizbullah has members working there and I've seen reports that missile bases are being planned and are being built.

If only the CIA could secretly organise some group to overthrow this terrible 'dictatorship'

Some kind of counter revolutionary group... they could arm, fund, train and advise them and turn a blind eye to them running some coke here and there.

Perhaps death squads would help?

As long as it gets the job done of course!

If Congress puts a stop to it perhaps the administration could just say 'frack it' and forget accountability and set up some entire 'secret agency' to do it illegally? They could fund this group and 'export democracy' by selling some weapons to a third party (only some ever-faithful friend to the USA of course. Perhaps someone like IRAN?) and Israel could act as the middleman if that state just happens to be some 'State sponser of Terrorism' or something.

Nothing bad though. Some missiles perhaps?

But what could we call this group?

What would 'the counter revolution' be in Spanish? Oh yes, la contrarrevolucion...

No that's a bit long, need something shorter really ;)

ANY OF THIS RINGING A BELL?

-People who live in glass houses.

Edited by Atlantia
  • Like 2

Wasn't it President Chavez that went on and on how Geo. Bush was "The Devil" and something about the stench of sulfur at a UN meeting...really? from a world leader? I think a little crazy has creeped in....I didn't like Bush either but...

Edited by Idano
  • Like 1

If only the CIA could secretly organise some group to overthrow this terrible 'dictatorship'

Some kind of counter revolutionary group... they could arm, fund, train and advise them and turn a blind eye to them running some coke here and there.

Perhaps death squads would help?

As long as it gets the job done of course!

If Congress puts a stop to it perhaps the administration could just say 'frack it' and forget accountability and set up some entire 'secret agency' to do it illegally? They could fund this group and 'export democracy' by selling some weapons to a third party (only some ever-faithful friend to the USA of course. Perhaps someone like IRAN?) and Israel could act as the middleman if that state just happens to be some 'State sponser of Terrorism' or something.

Nothing bad though. Some missiles perhaps?

But what could we call this group?

What would 'the counter revolution' be in Spanish? Oh yes, la contrarrevolucion...

No that's a bit long, need something shorter really ;)

ANY OF THIS RINGING A BELL?

-People who live in glass houses.

Have you by chance read Confessions of an Economic Hitman?

Have you by chance read Confessions of an Economic Hitman?

No I hadn't even heard of it. Just googled it. Looks rather scarey!

The fact that he hates the US and is working with the Iranians is reason enough to make him a target.

So anyone that hates the US is a target in your world? You're at odds with a fair amount of it.

I briefly worked with a woman that immigrated here from Venuzuela. The reason she left is because of how corrupt the country is. Chavez, as she describes, is essentially a dictator. She says that the entire country knows the elections are rigged, and the government is starting to manipulate the schools in order to indoctrinate the children with their views.

• Like 1

So anyone that hates the US is a target in your world? You're at odds with a fair amount of it.

And proudly so. And it isn't just "my" world....it's the real world. You should come up for air occasionally and see the truth.

And proudly so. And it isn't just "my" world....it's the real world. You should come up for air occasionally and see the truth.

Well, I guess your only option, then, is to conquer the entire world... because with that mentality, eventually everyone will become a "target".

Are you surprised that there are people in the world that hate your country? Maybe its because of the way people like you act. As soon as someone hates the actions of your government, they're "targeted". That is complete and utter bs. If that is how all americans feel, then you have no right to claim the moral high ground on anything. Period. Luckily, I believe that you and those like you are a minority in the US.

Youre essentially the american equivalent of the muslims you denounce.

Edited by Stellar
  • Like 1

in related news:

How Hugo Chávez Became Irrelevant

AS Hugo Chávez, the icon of Latin America’s left, struggles to hang on to his job, it’s tempting to read tomorrow’s closely contested election in Venezuela as a possible signal of the region’s return to the right. That would be a mistake, because the question that’s been roiling Latin America for a dozen years isn’t “left or right?” but “which left?”

Outsiders have often interpreted Latin America’s swing to the left over the last dozen years as a movement of leaders marching in ideological lock step. But within the region, the fault lines have always been clear.

Radical revolutionary regimes in Venezuela, Ecuador, Bolivia and Nicaragua joined Cuba, the granddaddy of the far left, in a bloc determined to confront the capitalist world, even if that meant increasingly authoritarian government.

Read more

uncle sam is demonizing Hugo because he refuses to 'co operate' ?

Well, I guess your only option, then, is to conquer the entire world... because with that mentality, eventually everyone will become a "target".

Are you surprised that there are people in the world that hate your country? Maybe its because of the way people like you act. As soon as someone hates the actions of your government, they're "targeted". That is complete and utter bs. If that is how all americans feel, then you have no right to claim the moral high ground on anything. Period. Luckily, I believe that you and those like you are a minority in the US.

Youre essentially the american equivalent of the muslims you denounce.

So in your world if a nation wishes you ill, works to harm you and gives aid to your enemies you would not "target" them? That sounds like fairyland to me. My words are often misconstrued to make me seem like a person with a bunker mentality and it simply isn't true. The irony of the speech I often hear here is that it is the Pax Americana that has provided that right to most of what is the free world. And it is used to denigrate the source of it's protection. I guess that's only proper, though it seems odd to me. The opinions you hold of me are your own and you are welcome to them.