Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Liberal Blogger Fabricates Rape Threat

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,394 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:35 AM

Dude pipe down. You sound like a liberal blogger.

Posted Image

#17    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,987 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:41 AM

Some of us sometimes have other business.

I like the word "sin."   It has a nice ring to it, full of the devil and pulpits and repelling demons.

I would challenge you to find something "bad" that can't have a good side and something "good" that can't have a bad side.  I'm not a moral relativist -- I think right and wrong are objective realities -- but the list of sins and virtues that we are usually fed is far too simplistic.  

Honesty is an example.  There are plenty of times when it would be seriously wrong to tell the truth if its going to hurt someone.

#18    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,394 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:42 AM

According to a Facebook page that apparently belongs to Lanker-Simons
she is a member of the University of Wyoming Gender & Women’s
Studies group as well as the school’s chapter of The Nonviolent
Communist.

Anyways, she sounds like a great girl.

Posted Image

#19    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,394 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:46 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 02 May 2013 - 03:41 AM, said:

Some of us sometimes have other business.

I like the word "sin."   It has a nice ring to it, full of the devil and pulpits and repelling demons.

I would challenge you to find something "bad" that can't have a good side and something "good" that can't have a bad side.  I'm not a moral relativist -- I think right and wrong are objective realities -- but the list of sins and virtues that we are usually fed is far too simplistic.  

Honesty is an example.  There are plenty of times when it would be seriously wrong to tell the truth if its going to hurt someone.
Is that like saying a father avenging the death of his son by killing the killer would be a case of finding good in something bad like murder?
Or less criminal, a father killing an intruder in his own house that is attacking his family would be a case of finding good in something bad like murder?

Posted Image

#20    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,987 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:50 AM

Wether or not to kill Hitler when one has the chance always makes a good example for murder.

This is actually a very hard matter and I think why Jesus substituted "Love" for the Law, or why the Buddha preached "Compassion" and "the Middle Way."

View Postwhitelight, on 02 May 2013 - 03:47 AM, said:

I like that you edit the posts and distort the exchange,  It shows you have no morals,
Please demonstrate.

#21    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,394 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:52 AM

Good luck with whitelight Frank. I'm off to bed...

Posted Image

#22    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,987 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:54 AM

Thanks; its morning here so I have all day, although the way my computer is acting I think I may have to reboot soon.  I'm actually rather puzzled by his reaction so I will have to hang around.

#23    whitelight

whitelight

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:55 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 02 May 2013 - 03:50 AM, said:

Wether or not to kill Hitler when one has the chance always makes a good example for murder.

This is actually a very hard matter and I think why Jesus substituted "Love" for the Law, or why the Buddha preached "Compassion" and "the Middle Way."

Please demonstrate.
  What the hell are you talking about?

#24    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,987 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:02 AM

The question as I see it is how do we determine right from wrong.  It started out with my pointing out that we need to be cognizant of the fact of pious fraud -- a fraud done with no visible motive except to convert or persuade.  Then I for some reason I forget mentioned that not all frauds are necessarily "sins" (when I use that word it is tongue-in-cheek -- what I really mean is "bad."  The example was pulling a fraud in combat in order to fool the enemy.  One might point out that God had the Israelites pull frauds of this sort several times.

The problem as I see it is "moral absolutism," wherein we take it on ourselves to judge the moral standards of others.  I think we can judge an individual act based on the harm or good it does, but not a person.  For ourselves we constantly need to make moral judgments, and I think the "rules" (such as, say, The Ten Commandments), while perhaps well meaning simplify our moral task too much.  I would suggest you pick up a good summary of Kant (I wouldn't try reading him going in without first a commentary) to see if that helps.

#25    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

• Bitter words with sweet flavor are poison just the same.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:16 AM

Frank, pretty sure Whitelight's a troll. You're not going to get anywhere with him.

As far as judging acts as opposed to judging the people who commit them, when all I have to go on is what a person has done that's what they're going to be judged by. I agree in practicing tolerance and the middle road, but if I always judged acts as isolated from the people who performed them, I probably wouldn't be here posting.

Edited by Nathan DiYorio, 02 May 2013 - 04:17 AM.

Posted Image

#26    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,987 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:18 AM

In short you don't have a valid argument so you go ad hominem.

Yea I have kinda gotten addicted to this posting business: there is a reason.  I'm confined to my home because of serious illness and am bored.  I think though I will decline to respond to you further unless you have something significant, and at the moment I need to reboot.

#27    whitelight

whitelight

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:34 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 02 May 2013 - 03:17 AM, said:

Saying any "sin" is always bad is moral absolutism, which never works except for fanatics (there are always exceptions to any moral rule -- I can think of times I might play a fraud -- such as in combat to fool the enemy).  The "wise" part is not wisdom in the usual sense but the "wise" sense with a wink.  I hope that will help get you off your horse.

#28    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

• Bitter words with sweet flavor are poison just the same.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:22 AM

Holy crud. Just say everything in one post and stop cluttering the thread with multi-posts.

Posted Image

#29    The Sky Scanner

The Sky Scanner

Observer

• 5,540 posts

• The loud ones never last!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

Thread Cleaned

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#30    MstrMsn

MstrMsn

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

• "If you don't like the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question!"

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:45 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 02 May 2013 - 03:41 AM, said:

Don't really care about the rest of the post, as morals are subjective, as is one's idea of right and wrong.

I care about this last part that I kept. Lying to someone to spare them any emotional pain isn't just the stupidest thing you can do, but it's also the most pointless. When you lie to someone, inevitably, they find out. And what do you think will hurt them more? That you told them the truth, or that you lied to them?

Reading quite a few of your posts, I thought you seemed like a fairly smart person. After reading this, I was wrong, as a smart person could still find a way to tell someone the truth without it hurting.

We are born with 2 fears: Falling, and loud noises, all others are LEARNED.
You say fear is all in the mind. I say you are right; for it is our imagination that makes things seem scary.
If you want to learn how to not be afraid, ask.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users