Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Abstinance vs. safe sex in schools

saucy

This debate is about what schools should officially teach about sex, is teaching about waiting until married, effectively not having sex better than teaching about safe sex and using condoms etc... Which method is more effective in preventing disease and pregnancy and which method is better accepted amongst the kids, their parents, teachers, etc... Once I get two people who want to debate, I will come back on with the rules and such.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• saucy

• Kat_Kloud

• BurnSide

• Saru

Okay, this debate should be fun. It will be me vs. Kat Kloud. It will be a short debate, a four poster, one introduction, two body posts and one conclusions. Kat Kloud will debate on the side of safe sex and I will debate no sex before marriage. Kat Kloud, I'll let you start, but I won't be able to respond until Thursday, so give me some time. Let's have some fun!

We, as human beings, tend to go with our instincts on many of the decisions we make. Our body already knows its properties and functions; it lets us know what it needs and wants daily.

Once we hit a certain age, it is only natural to do what our bodies and instincts tell us is right. It's as simple as that. Having sex is just as natural as anything else we do. No matter how hard one tries, nor how many strict laws are put forth, sex in highschool is inevitable: it's just that "stage" in life that will always happen. It doesn't mean that person is "bad" or has been "shamed"; it means they followed their bodily instincts and acted like the human they are.

Handing out condoms in between classes is definitely not what I had in mind, but a set presentation meant for self-awareness would be the best idea. There are a lot of diseases circling the world out there, and it is better to let young adults know the reality of it that to be told "don't do it at all". We all know humans will be humans and they will do it anyway, so they should at least know how to be safe about it.

One must also keep in mind that the entire world is not composed of such religious believers; that getting married means close to nothing to some people. Love is not bound only to these such believers, and a couple should be able to share that specific moment without having to be married through a religion they do not believe in.

It all boils down to the fact that, as humans, we are bound to follow our instincts whether we are in our last year of school and seventeen years into our life, or not.

Hey, are we just talking about high school here? I think not. Recent studies show that less high school kids are having sex, but the reverse side of that good news is that more middle school kids are having sex. At the ages of 11 and 12, before they even know what intamacy and love outside of Justin Timberlake, they are having intercourse. Does anyone find that wrong? My opponent's arguement is that sex is a natural feeling and it's only natural for kids to have sex. It's just as natural for them at 12 when puberty starts to hit as it is at 17 or 18. This just isn't a religious issue. What bypasses most people's minds before enteracting in sex is that it's a dangerous practice, especially in high school. High schoolers (mainly the boys) have turned sex into "getting laid" and having bragging rights over their friends etc. The girls do it just to make their boyfriends happy and they think it's love, but it's not love. You hear stories all time about girls who get pregnant and the boy wants nothing to do with her and leaves her to raise a child and more often than not, it ruins what she could've been. She would've dropped out of high school and had to of worked two jobs to pay for the child. Instead of telling stories like these or even the horrific tales of AIDS, they pass out condoms and say it's perfectly okay to have sex as long as you're wearing a condom. Tell that to my cousin who both had her boyfriend wear a condom and she was on the pill and she fell "in love" with her boyfriend and ended up pregnant with twins and the father wants nothing to do with her or the babies. Tell that to the nine out of ten girls who regret losing their virginity before they were actually ready and claim they were pressured. When you tell teenagers it's okay to have sex, they will and it almost always hold disasterous results.

Everyone knows the consequences of having sex. That's what the presentation I spoke of is mostly about: consequences. That is why it is their choice. There are tons and tons of conversations and lessons given to students telling them the consequences, how falling victim to peer pressure happens, and so on.

But, as I stated before, whether you tell them it's okay to do it or whether you tell them it's not okay to do it, they will still do it. I'm sorry about your cousin, but that was her choice, and she knew what the consequences might be. Afterall, that is the whole purpose of sex: to reproduce. If one chooses to have sex, they are risking everything and they should know that.

Last year in school a presentation was held to show us what some of the diseases can do to one's body if they aren't informed and have sex anyways... and the pictures weren't pretty. Some of the guys said they were even afraid to do it after that little insight. Things like these are eye-openers.

So, teaching about sex is not neccisarily saying "yeah, weee. Go out and do it to your heart's content! You're all safe!" It's more like: "Alright: we know we can't stop it from happeneing so here are a few ways to stay safe."

Know what I mean?

As for the children in middle school! blink.gif Where are the parents?!?! And if this is happening in middle schools, then jeeze somebody get some of those STD videos rolling, they'll run home to their mommies crying.

And wait a minute, I know there are plenty of highschoolers going arond bragging here and there and "doing it to make their boyfriends happy and thinking it's love"... but that doesn't mean one cannot find their true love in highschool. Keep in mind that the people doing this are those (sorry but I don't like these) "trend followers" One person does something and claims it's cool, and the rest go and do it. It's inevitable. There are followers and there are leaders. It all falls upon the ones teaching the students. They mold and shape these people. Make them think like leaders! Help them seek individuality! This is already taking place in the hisghschools, and as statistics show (straight from your mouth) the number of students having sex in highschool has gone down.

Administation and parents have yet to notice that their middle schoolers aren't acting like little kids anymore! They need to have these "talks" and such without feeling that "Oh MaH GaWd they're too young for that sort of talk to reach their ears!" Middle schoolers "learn" what they know through gossip, and gossip (as we all know) is not the truth at all. The truth needs to be fed into their little naive brains.

Good post Kat Kloud!

Perhaps you know and maybe you don't know the extent to where the teenagers are taking this sex thing. THEY ARE SEX FEENES!! They try it once because they are curious and though they wish they didn't, they don't stop. They become addicted. At parties is a major orgie, boys and girls who don't even know each other find themselves in bedrooms and such just because sex feels good. It happened to my sister a few times. They're out there giving and receiving oral sex in front of everybody and there's no shame whatsoever. No morals and no shame. No respect for themselves or anyone else. It's just sex. Can someone find love in high school? Sure. Does that mean they have to sleep with with the one they love within a week of them getting together? Teenagers do not understand the consequences. The fact is, most schools do not show what the many diseases do to a person or what kind of life a single mother has to live and how they have to give up their major goals in life. Many end up having abortions which is worse off, but they just didn't get pregnant at 13, but they just committed murder. Again, no morals or shame. No consequences for their actions. It just is. Most schools just teach, "Hey, put on this condom and all will be fine. It's safe sex!" Is that really safe sex? NO!! The only real safe sex is waiting until marriage. Why is that safe sex? 1) Waiting until marriage means that both partners are virgins. You don't get this eerie feeling or wonder how many people your partner has been with. 2) Your partner has no diseases. 3) Sex after marriage pretty much insures your partner isn't after you just for sex. There is a real, deep loving relationship in there not based on sex. 4) By the time you get married, you're most likely out of high school, graduated college and set in your careers and are emotionally and financially ready to care for a child if that happens. You are also more responsible and not giving up any dreams to raise that child. It doesn't always happen like that and some people can handle raising a child and college, for that's what my older sister has tried to do. She was trying to become a doctor and couldn't handle that and raising a child, so she quit half-way, waited for the child to get a bit older and is not ready to continue her education, but most people aren't as fortunate to be able to do that.

*takes a swig o' Dr. Pepper*

Alright well I've already stated my point.

At parties is a major orgie, boys and girls who don't even know each other find themselves in bedrooms and such just because sex feels good. It happened to my sister a few times. They're out there giving and receiving oral sex in front of everybody and there's no shame whatsoever.

Where did you get this information? I've never heard of that happening around here. I sure as hell don't do it. Neither do my friends and all the people I know. So can you give an estimate of how many kids are doing this rather than just saying "this is what's happening"? cause. You know.

Can someone find love in high school? Sure. Does that mean they have to sleep with with the one they love within a week of them getting together?

Highschool lasts for four years where I come from. What is this "one week" business? As I see it, why would two people who truly love each other go do it after one week? that's not love. not unless it's some weird... blink.gif weird. love. huh.gif

Also, here in the united states, half of the "kids" in highscool are 17 and 18 years old, and age at which people have graduated and gone to college in other countries. I would write more, but I must go to.... Girl SCOUTS!

want some cookies?

Maybe those things don't happen at your school, or at least you don't know about it, but I know it happens. It happens many times at my school. There was a lock in two years back and one of the chaperones noticed there was a line of boys coming out of the girls bathroom. She went in and saw two girls, both cousins, getting paid to give oral sex to boys. That happened at the school! That's just one of many stories. Often times couples are caught having sex in school bathrooms. The parties I mentioned do happen. Yes, high school lasts four years. I know of no relationships that last all four years, but some do. Most kids find someone to "date" just to get laid. There are very few if any teenagers who decided to wait before sex and I'm not talking just about waiting until marriage. They can't go but a week. High school kids range in ages from 13-20, some are older if they keep failing their classes. This debate isn't about what you can do legally. Legally in Michigan you can have sex at age 16, but that doesn't mean you should rush out and do it. It's immoral. It's wrong. It's dangerous.

But, as I stated before, whether you tell them it's okay to do it or whether you tell them it's not okay to do it, they will still do it. I'm sorry about your cousin, but that was her choice, and she knew what the consequences might be. Afterall, that is the whole purpose of sex: to reproduce. If one chooses to have sex, they are risking everything and they should know that.

Last year in school a presentation was held to show us what some of the diseases can do to one's body if they aren't informed and have sex anyways... and the pictures weren't pretty. Some of the guys said they were even afraid to do it after that little insight. Things like these are eye-openers.

So, teaching about sex is not neccisarily saying "yeah, weee. Go out and do it to your heart's content! You're all safe!" It's more like: "Alright: we know we can't stop it from happening so here are a few ways to stay safe."

As I said.

You don't need to close a thread before the judges have given their verdict Saucy, just leave it open with [being Judged] in the subheading.

Debater 1: Saucy

Relevancy: 8

Countering: 6

Style: 6

Persuasiveness: 7

Saucy Total: 27

Debater 2: Kat_Kloud

Countering: 8

Style: 8

Kat_Kloud Total: 31

Arsenik, i have removed your post. Debates are only for the debaters participating in the debate, no one else can post their views on these debates.

Especially since the debate is closed and currently being judges by our judges.

Relevancy: 7

Countering: 7

Total: 27

Debater 2: Kat_Kloud

Countering: 8

Style: 7

Persuasiveness: 9

Total: 32

Persuasiveness: 6

Total: 25

Debater 2: Kat Kloud

Countering: 7

Persuasiveness: 8

Total: 30

Persuasiveness: 5

Total: 25

Debater 2: Kat Kloud

Total: 28

And there we have it, the results are in!

Saucy scores a good 26 average.

Kat_Kloud wins the debate with an average of 30!!

Thanks to both debaters for taking part. thumbsup.gif