Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

For Just A Moment...

MID

41 years ago yesterday...

linked-image

And 22 years ago today:

linked-image

January has a history...

It is well to take a moment and remember what was sacrificed...

Edited by MID

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MID

• Pericynthion

• Daughter of the Nine Moons

• Lilly

Mid, you just took me way back. 22 years ago today I was home sick from school [ironically enough like today] while the show I was watching was interrupted with the news of the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster. Wow.

:(

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons
I'm sick...can't form sentences...:p

Mid, you just took me way back. 22 years ago today I was home sick from school [ironically enough like today] while the show I was watching was interrupted with the news of the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster. Wow.

:(

Somehow, you know it just doesn't seem like that long ago...but I sure know what you mean.

Even today, if I allow myself, I still get that horrible feeling in my gut.

Sometimes we forget the price paid for exploration and knowledge.

linked-image

Yes, I think sometimes we do forget.

It's not healthy to forget that stuff...

"Per Aspera ad Astra"

Godspeed the crews of Apollo 1 and STS-51L.

linked-image

Per Aspera Ad Astra...indeed Peri.

What a picture.

My thanks for that. For a pilot, no image could convey it better.

"They slipped the surly bonds of Earth...and touched the face of God."

Ya know, Pericynthion's beautiful picture almost makes me want to fly. Almost...not quite, but almost.

MID, try not to think of the bad times, think of the good times. Remember, those brave people died for the good times! :yes:

per aspera ad astra — "through adversity to the stars"

How very appropriate although I admit I had to look it up

What about the cosmonauts who died in the Soyuz program? Vladimir Komarov died when the parachute failed on Soyuz 1 during reentry and the 3 crewmembers of Soyuz 11 died when their capsule depressurized before reentry.

Ya know, Pericynthion's beautiful picture almost makes me want to fly. Almost...not quite, but almost.

MID, try not to think of the bad times, think of the good times. Remember, those brave people died for the good times! :yes:

Yes, Lil, they did.

And trust me, I try to not think about those things...the way I felt then.

But you know, every once in a while...something old oozes out, and you're right back there again.

But you're right:

All of them would've said, "Fix it, and get on with it."

That, we did....

per aspera ad astra — "through adversity to the stars"

How very appropriate although I admit I had to look it up

It sure is appropriate....

:tu:

What about the cosmonauts who died in the Soyuz program? Vladimir Komarov died when the parachute failed on Soyuz 1 during reentry and the 3 crewmembers of Soyuz 11 died when their capsule depressurized before reentry.

Cradle, a valid point.

There were several names, and several missions I didn't mention or refer to in my OP.

Soyuz 1, Soyuz 11, STS-107.

Further members of the fraternity who gave everything.

I metioned the two missions I did because they occurred on the two days mentioned...1-27 and 1-28.

STS-107 is another week down the road, 2-1, and the Soyuz disasters were both in April, oh so long ago...

But we should as well honor everyone, regardless of the date, those who have fallen in the effort to explore the heavens and expand human consciousness:

Gus Grissom

Ed White

Roger Chaffee

Vladimir Komorov

Vladislav Volkov

Georgi Dobrolvoski

Victor Patsayev

Dick Scobee

Mike Smith

Ellison Onizuka

Christa McCauliffe

Ronald McNair

Judy Resnik

Greg Jarvis

Rick Husband

Willie McCool

David Brown

Kalpana Chawla

Mike Anderson

Laurel Clark

Ilan Ramon

Trust me, I don't forget any of them, and others who have fallen as well, perhaps not in mission disasters, but in the effort.

They are all heroes who paid the ultimate price.

And they should all rightly be honored.

These names define what Peri's quote and his picture meant,

Per Aspera Ad Astra.

Nuff said, I think...

That pic with the cross and planes is both beautiful and eerie at the same time. It reminds me of Peace and War.

Thanks for the post.

Edited by Truffles

What a picture.

My thanks for that. For a pilot, no image could convey it better.

"They slipped the surly bonds of Earth...and touched the face of God."

You're welcome, my friend. Found it on a NASA site and thought it seemed appropriate here. It's a lovely shot. As for your quote, P/O Magee certainly had a way with words, didn't he?

That pic with the cross and planes is both beautiful and eerie at the same time. It reminds me of Peace and War.

Thanks for the post.

You're welcome. Yes, that's a really moving photo for me, too. In case you (or others here) aren't familiar with the display, this is a photo of the "missing man" formation being flown by NASA T-38s. It's a salute done to honor the memory of a fallen pilot. The flyover usually starts with four aircraft in tight formation. As they approach the viewing area, one of the planes pulls up sharply and climbs away, leaving a hole in the formation -- an empty space that symbolizes those comrades who are no longer with us. Here's a nice video example.

They are all heroes who paid the ultimate price.

And they should all rightly be honored.

Well said, sir. Heroes indeed ... each and every one of them.

Computer problems have kept me off this site for nearly a week and thus I missed posting on this saddest of anniversaries.

These brave cosmonauts have certainly not been forgotten by those of us with an interest in spaceflight. If you click on this link you will see a thread from last year which remembers all the fallen astronauts and cosmonauts.

You're welcome, my friend. Found it on a NASA site and thought it seemed appropriate here. It's a lovely shot. As for your quote, P/O Magee certainly had a way with words, didn't he?

Oh yea, it was mighty appropriate, and yes he sure did...

Computer problems have kept me off this site for nearly a week and thus I missed posting on this saddest of anniversaries.

Well welcome back, Waspie...

And while we are reflecting on those fine people who lost their lives in this endeavor, let us also reflect on the present, and wish Godspeed to the crew of STS-122, who, if all goes well, one week from now will be heading into the void to continue the work that all of those we remember gave their lives for...

"Good Lord ride all the way..."