Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Nixon Foundation plans year-long celebration?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,271 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...-080129516.html

I had no idea there was a Richard Nixon foundation.  When I was a child, he was considered a joke.  Can someone enlighten me regarding why he still has followers.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,325 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

Because not everyone considers him a joke.  I have to agree he did some things that wasn't good but he did start the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and was the first to open relations with China.

Edited by Hilander, 06 January 2013 - 04:06 PM.

#3    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,387 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

View Postlittle_dreamer, on 06 January 2013 - 02:21 PM, said:

http://news.yahoo.co...-080129516.html

I had no idea there was a Richard Nixon foundation.  When I was a child, he was considered a joke.  Can someone enlighten me regarding why he still has followers.

All recent Presidents have a foundation that supports their library and other areas of interest.

Watergate aside, he was actually a very well respected President and statesman right up to his death.  All of his successors in the White House valued his opinions on matters of State - Clinton being one of the most often cited.

And, frankly, many (me included) consider Watergate a minor scandal by today's standards.

Edited by Rafterman, 06 January 2013 - 04:46 PM.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#4    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,218 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

Positive for Nixon: his administration left lasting achievements for the USA.
Negative for Nixon: After he resigned nobody really trusted an American Prezz again.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#5    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,271 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Thanks for your replies.  I realize that he was elected twice by a majority of Americans more than 40 years ago.   Just wanted to get a sense of how things were different then.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#6    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsafe at Any Speed

• 24,126 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

I've never quite understood what ol' Tricky Dicky was supposed to have done exactly. i'm not entirely sure what Watergate was really. It was probably something shifty, i expect.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#7    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,218 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 06 January 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

I've never quite understood what ol' Tricky Dicky was supposed to have done exactly. i'm not entirely sure what Watergate was really. It was probably something shifty, i expect.

Watergate probably did nothing for him, perverting the course of justice, conspiracy to cover up crimes and destroying evidence is what done him in. The funny thing about it is that the tape recorders he installed in his offices (due to his paranoia) produced the smoking guns.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users