Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

ghost hunting equipment

heavensbeauty

:innocent:Hi I am new here, but not to the paranormal, I have been interested in it all my life, and had a few experiances with happenings in homes i lived in, I never actually went ghost hunting before but wanted to, well next friday I am going to the waverly hills tb sanitarium in ky. you may have seen it on ghost hunters lately, I lived near there all my life, but never dared sneak in there like others i knew not in fear of ghosts but getting caught, well now I am going to finally go legally, although since all the publicity its having I may or may not have a experiance there, although others say they do, anyways, I am planning to take a video camera, maybe a digital camera also, but I wanted to like get a thermometer and tape recorder, I know i can get a tape recorder for the evp's at any store like walmart but can you get the digital thermometer there also and other things that would help the investigation? I have seen online stores I found cheap ones I could buy, but I am not sure it would be here in time for me to take it with me that trip.

Oh and this is a great site! I found it just browsing,

HeavensBeauty

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• heavensbeauty

• klamath

• Pajero

• Mors Profundis

Welcome to UM!! All I can say is PLEASE be careful on your investigations. Protect yourself always!!

EVP meters help a great deal in detecting paranormal activity in an isolated spot, but they cost a bomb, even in online auctions. I guess if you're not planning to turn into a hardcore explorer who goes ghost-hunting every now and then, a digital thermometer would do just fine for detecting those sudden drops in temperature.

It's also good to bring along some pepper spray (if you can grab hold of some) cos you'll never know what you'll meet in these abandoned places (drugs addicts, wild dogs, etc)

Happy hunting! :D

Edited by Pajero

im new ere, but like heavensbeuty im also not new to the paranormal,i have had very few occasions while a family member passed away about a year ago,jst after it i had 2 or 3 occasions where i was visited by him. the first time i was realy scared and wasnt surewhat i was goin to do, a few month after it happened agen i askd him questions,i heard noises but couldnt make out what he was saying. pitty i realy wanted a anser. oh well. it hasnt happened for a while so i supose ill jst have to wait and see if he appears agen.

happy-hunting-heavens-beauty

In our fire department we have Thermal Imaging Cameras (TICS) that are very accurate and can spot temperature differences of just a few degrees. With so many people claiming cold spots, I think it might be a good tool, although I've never seen a good one being used, just cheaper infra-red cameras...

Welcome to UM!! All I can say is PLEASE be careful on your investigations. Protect yourself always!!

well its not really abandoned at all anymore a long time ago it was, the owners do tours every weekend and although I would rather it be few people, they have groups of 66 people in each group they do sometimes, it is alot of people at all times, thats why I want to try one of the all nite tours but first it cost $100 and I thought well maybe I'll save for that cuz im sure it won't be that many people doing that one, but i was wrong, they are already booked up till july for the all niters, so at least I get the hour tour, and well anythings better than nothing, and even in big groups i heard people still experiance things.

HeavensBeauty

Saw this one on sale on Ebay right now, but it costs USD$4500 at it's "buy it now" price. There are no bids yet at the current moment. Starting bid for the camera is USD$3950. Ouch. :wacko:

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by Pajero

well its not really abandoned at all anymore a long time ago it was, the owners do tours every weekend and although I would rather it be few people, they have groups of 66 people in each group they do sometimes, it is alot of people at all times, thats why I want to try one of the all nite tours but first it cost $100 and I thought well maybe I'll save for that cuz im sure it won't be that many people doing that one, but i was wrong, they are already booked up till july for the all niters, so at least I get the hour tour, and well anythings better than nothing, and even in big groups i heard people still experiance things.

HeavensBeauty

thats cool but very expensive and forget me buying anything on that buy now for on ebay, i just got ripped over about $200 buying kitchen tiles from someone on ebay, and its been 3 months and i haven't got my tiles, money back, and now i am threating him with a lawyer but he aint replying me!

I'd watched a special in which a woman took her dog to a haunted site to help pinpoint a specific spectral hotspot....not as hightech sure, but alot more cuddly than an inrared cam...

Saw this one on sale on Ebay right now, but it costs USD$4500 at it's "buy it now" price. There are no bids yet at the current moment. Starting bid for the camera is USD$3950. Ouch. :wacko:

user posted image

user posted image

Actually that's pretty cheap for a thermal infared camera. Looks like it does a decent job of capturing the images and the depths of temp. Too bad I still don't have $4,500 to purchase this :no::(<_<

Oh also Heaven, You don't need a EMF reader, just grab a compass and if it starts doing weird things then you know you are in a magnetic pull, that's a good time to start taking photos and hit record on your tape recorder. I haven't seen any digital thermometers from Walmart, I got mine from Ebay.

One of my friends from another paranormal group is going in Sept and they've invited ggghost to go. I would like to but prices of the trip and then the $100 overnight fee is pretty expensive.

Good luck and please let us know what you find out!

Oh also Heaven, You don't need a EMF reader, just grab a compass and if it starts doing weird things then you know you are in a magnetic pull, that's a good time to start taking photos and hit record on your tape recorder. I haven't seen any digital thermometers from Walmart, I got mine from Ebay.

One of my friends from another paranormal group is going in Sept and they've invited ggghost to go. I would like to but prices of the trip and then the $100 overnight fee is pretty expensive.

Good luck and please let us know what you find out!

Thanks for the info, I never would have thought about a compass. and yeah prices are kinda high, well at least i thought so first time I heard it, one tour for $20 per person but after hearing of people who have already taken the tour, they said its about 1 1/2 hours, so I guess thats not too bad and the money is for them fixing up what vandels wrecked so I guess its worth it, I figured I will go for the $20 first to see if its worth it, then maybe another time I will go for the others.

thanks a bunch!

heavensbeauty

Can't wait to see what you get. Please post when you get done and let me know how it goes.

Take care and be careful :yes:;)

I will definitly let you know how it went, oh and I went to radio shack found a real good digital compass with a digital thermometer on it! I sure hope I get something, I am not getting my hopes up although I know it to be very haunted, and I have seen on tv things like on ghost hunters BUT I also know if a spirit does not want to be seen it won't be, and besides on ghost hunters there was what about 10 people give or take a few up there late into the night, well for one there will be about 2 groups of anywhere for 20- 60 people and also its not the all nighter but the 1 1/2 tour, but people say they still see things even in the large groups, its just not very quiet to hear things and everyone snapping pics they say its hard to catch anything but some do, but I'm starting on the tour then may save up for the all nighter!

I will write how it goes and if I catch anything I will try to post it on here!

heavensbeauty

I will definitly let you know how it went, oh and I went to radio shack found a real good digital compass with a digital thermometer on it! I sure hope I get something, I am not getting my hopes up although I know it to be very haunted, and I have seen on tv things like on ghost hunters BUT I also know if a spirit does not want to be seen it won't be, and besides on ghost hunters there was what about 10 people give or take a few up there late into the night, well for one there will be about 2 groups of anywhere for 20- 60 people and also its not the all nighter but the 1 1/2 tour, but people say they still see things even in the large groups, its just not very quiet to hear things and everyone snapping pics they say its hard to catch anything but some do, but I'm starting on the tour then may save up for the all nighter!

I will write how it goes and if I catch anything I will try to post it on here!

heavensbeauty

well I went friday night and I have to admit it was amazing , that place is great! my video as you all predicted went out! I didn't have anything out of the ordinary happen except for the photos taken with my digital camera I got orbs galore just about everywhere! I have never had as many as I got at waverly! now on the 4th floor was a little different, I did not really see the shadow people they told me to look for but I got a real weird feeling of being watched and a pull to a room behind me as everyone had their attention to the tour guide, I turned slowly feeling someone watching me, my heart pounding and hairs sticking up on my neck, I decided to look at my compass, which I was checking throughout the tour but until the 4th floor it did nothing unusual, but it began spinning out of control! my nephew caught that too, when my fiance came it had stopped though, I then had a headache so bad I clutched my head and tears came to my face I almost had to leave then, but I stuck it out, painfully, we were about to leave that floor when I kept behind looking in every room as I was going, when I "thought" i saw what looked like a man sitting up against a wall with long stringy hair and long trench coat, I freaked out and hurried to the group and to my fiance but kept my mouth shut, I probably imagined it. but after we left that floor, my headache went away as fast as it came! as we ended our tour and heading to my van, my nephew said I thought i would have been more scared than i was, except for the 4th floor, he said it scared the crap out of me, I said what the compass doing that, he said well it was freaky yeah, but I thought i saw someone sitting against a wall in a room up there! i said really? what did they look like? and he started to describe what I saw! I said remember men in black, the first movie, where will smith goes to talk to a alien, and he said well not much of disquise, and then the dog began talking? i said what I saw kinda reminded me of that man next to the dog, he said yeah yeah me too! That was totally weird, I would like to go again, but to do maybe one without tour guides, no offense to them they were wonderful in telling the stories, but its hard to hear other things when people are talking, we did hear footsteps, banging, after the tour guide said now no one should else be in here, other times we heard something she would say they other group is in the building, so you could not be sure if it was them, or the patients , I would like to go for the overnight cuz i heard your on your own if you want there, and can go practically anywhere there, on the tour you were not allowed in many rooms, and thats hard especially when I felt a pull to go, but not allowed! I heard they also do half night tours, does anyone know if they have the tours then too, or is it like an overnight, where you can explore on your own? the overnight, I am not sure I could handle I would probably be too scared, besides its too expensive for anyone to go with me, so I want the half night if they allow you to explore on your own. also I got many pics. a few is kinda weird where some people who saw my pics said they look like it could be a face in a few on the ceiling, but I am not sure its an old building with paint peeling but it sure looks weird on a few!!! other than that I got so many orbs its wonderful!!!!!!

I had a wonderful time, and I defientlly recommend if you haven't gone there GO! you won't be dissappointed! at least I wasn't!!!!!

heavensbeauty

Oh that does sound like you had a good time. Eeek the guy from MIB w/the dog was scary looking and then to see something similiar would of been awesome.

Did they tour guides give you time to wander around and investigate? I'm glad the compass worked for you. Did you take pictures when it went crazy? Have you gotten those pictures back yet?

So it was fun and you had a good experience? Thanks for the update!

~Nicki

I'm glad you had a good time, but Dear God, woman, have you never heard of punctuation?

Divide your writing into paragraphs and sentences, it makes it a lot easier to read and understand.

This is getting to be the ruination of the net-everybody can express themselves, but nobody can understand what they said!

Otherwise, glad you had the experience, and very glad you were safe.

Hey, glad you had a good time. ;) I have never been ghost hunting before either lol.

Do you think you post some of your pics of orbs that you got, please?

• 2 weeks later...

well I went friday night and I have to admit it was amazing , that place is great! my video as you all predicted went out! I didn't have anything out of the ordinary happen except for the photos taken with my digital camera I got orbs galore just about everywhere! I have never had as many as I got at waverly! now on the 4th floor was a little different, I did not really see the shadow people they told me to look for but I got a real weird feeling of being watched and a pull to a room behind me as everyone had their attention to the tour guide, I turned slowly feeling someone watching me, my heart pounding and hairs sticking up on my neck, I decided to look at my compass, which I was checking throughout the tour but until the 4th floor it did nothing unusual, but it began spinning out of control! my nephew caught that too, when my fiance came it had stopped though, I then had a headache so bad I clutched my head and tears came to my face I almost had to leave then, but I stuck it out, painfully, we were about to leave that floor when I kept behind looking in every room as I was going, when I "thought" i saw what looked like a man sitting up against a wall with long stringy hair and long trench coat, I freaked out and hurried to the group and to my fiance but kept my mouth shut, I probably imagined it. but after we left that floor, my headache went away as fast as it came! as we ended our tour and heading to my van, my nephew said I thought i would have been more scared than i was, except for the 4th floor, he said it scared the crap out of me, I said what the compass doing that, he said well it was freaky yeah, but I thought i saw someone sitting against a wall in a room up there! i said really? what did they look like? and he started to describe what I saw! I said remember men in black, the first movie, where will smith goes to talk to a alien, and he said well not much of disquise, and then the dog began talking? i said what I saw kinda reminded me of that man next to the dog, he said yeah yeah me too! That was totally weird, I would like to go again, but to do maybe one without tour guides, no offense to them they were wonderful in telling the stories, but its hard to hear other things when people are talking, we did hear footsteps, banging, after the tour guide said now no one should else be in here, other times we heard something she would say they other group is in the building, so you could not be sure if it was them, or the patients , I would like to go for the overnight cuz i heard your on your own if you want there, and can go practically anywhere there, on the tour you were not allowed in many rooms, and thats hard especially when I felt a pull to go, but not allowed! I heard they also do half night tours, does anyone know if they have the tours then too, or is it like an overnight, where you can explore on your own? the overnight, I am not sure I could handle I would probably be too scared, besides its too expensive for anyone to go with me, so I want the half night if they allow you to explore on your own. also I got many pics. a few is kinda weird where some people who saw my pics said they look like it could be a face in a few on the ceiling, but I am not sure its an old building with paint peeling but it sure looks weird on a few!!! other than that I got so many orbs its wonderful!!!!!!

I had a wonderful time, and I defientlly recommend if you haven't gone there GO! you won't be dissappointed! at least I wasn't!!!!!

heavensbeauty

hi,

waverly hills sanatorium has become a very lucrative business.they herd you in like cattle.i live in louisville and although the place is interesting,they are ghost hunting it to death.there are several great places in the old louisville section of town that you may want to check out.i believe someone just released a book about them.i started out doing investigations several years ago,long before there were emf meters and all the fancy equipment they have out nowadays.the person who recommended the compass was right on.they work great.my aunt was a patint at the sanatorium in 1960 and i have been there when it was still going.that place was creepy even back then.