Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mongolian Death Worm: Legendary Creepy-Crawly

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,685 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:10 PM

www.aolnews.com said:

Mongolia, a land of mystery. Where the grave of great warrior king Genghis Khan, who created an empire stretching from the Baltic and Black to the Bering seas, remains undiscovered. Where the national dish has become Mongolian barbecue, the stir-fry buffet variety invented in the United States.

And where giant, scarlet worms burrow in the barren expanse of one of the world's largest, coldest deserts, spewing fiery acid and electrocuting unlucky camels from a distance.

Yes, a creature so fearsomely odd that its name -- which also happens to be the title of a cheesy Syfy Channel/Lions Gate DVD release set for April 26 -- deserves the honor of its own paragraph:

Just as intrepid explorers still search for Genghis Khan's grave, reality-TV crews still anxiously seek the sausage-like, homicidal pseudo-penis dentata dubbed the olgoi-khorkhoi, or the "intestine worm." Even the august National Geographic sent its own beast hunter, Pat Spain, in search of the Mongolian Death Worm.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Goodnite

Goodnite

Outsider looking in.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

• Before I refuse to take your questions, I have an opening statement.

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

After reading the article I suppose its just a mis-identified snake or centipede or something along those lines.

The King of the Beasts

#3    Pandapwnage

Pandapwnage

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 60 posts

• I looked upon his ghastly visage, his gruesome features, his depressed eyes, and I gasped for I realized that I, I was the visage. What have I become?

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:00 PM

View PostGoodnite, on 25 April 2011 - 03:26 PM, said:

After reading the article I suppose its just a mis-identified snake or centipede or something along those lines.
I'd agree with the centipede theory, the electrocution theory could be the poison seeping into the skin, providing an electric feel to it.

#4    The Russian Hare

The Russian Hare

Silent assassin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

• Boat Tailed & Hollow Pointed

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:33 PM

I asked around about it when I went to the Gobi, the one guide who knew what I was talking about just said it was some kind of local legend

But if I go again I will ask more thoroughly, and take pics.... IF I SURVIVE! dun dun dun  B)

I plead the Fifth, but if you get pushy with me I'll plead the Second. Posted Image

#5    Mike G1

Mike G1

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 30 posts

• Skeptical of the skeptics.

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

Mongolia and its deserts are some of the least explored portions of land in the world. A cryptid could exist there easily and remain unidentified by science to this day, why not. It's not like the claims are that it shoots lasers out of its head. Electric shock is a scientifically cataloged form of defense in nature by some animals. As is the spitting of acid. I won't commit 100% belief into its existence until I see one, sure. But that doesn't necessitate that I have to commit 100% disbelief in its existence just because I haven't seen one.

And if a centipede is the generally accepted misidentified animal behind this mystery, then you'd basically have to call each witness a liar or blatantly wrong, as I believe this creature is consistently reported by eye witnesses as having no legs, much less a whole lot, like a centipede does. You can't really take the witnesses claims and pick and choose which apsects of it you want to keep and likewise throw away because they don't fit a pet explanation.

Edited by mike gomez1, 25 April 2011 - 06:49 PM.

Posted Image

#6    minuteman

minuteman

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

• Nothing is permanent, not even death

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:35 PM

View Postmike gomez1, on 25 April 2011 - 06:45 PM, said:

And if a centipede is the generally accepted misidentified animal behind this mystery, then you'd basically have to call each witness a liar or blatantly wrong, as I believe this creature is consistently reported by eye witnesses as having no legs, much less a whole lot, like a centipede does. You can't really take the witnesses claims and pick and choose which apsects of it you want to keep and likewise throw away because they don't fit a pet explanation.

true, but at the same time, a lot of the witnesses probably have no clue what a centipede is, as they aren't native to Mongolia (as far as i've found) and is usually reported in the most remote places in the country (less education perhaps?). and if you think about it, a centipede's legs don't really look like normal legs, and could very easily be misinterpreted by witnesses as being a worm.
Destination Truth did a segment about the Mongolian Death Worm. i don't remember much about the episode, so i'll have to give it a rewatch later tonight when i get home from work.

Posted Image

#7    Emin

Emin

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:49 PM

Interesting, never thought a worm would be capable of electrocution, i didn't read the full article but i'd think this would require some deeper research, where there's a giant worm i'm sure there is  a giant hole in which it dwells, i suppose that must be found first. Also finding common locations and similarity of weather or time could help.

I am an Emin of truth!

#8    Pandapwnage

Pandapwnage

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 60 posts

• I looked upon his ghastly visage, his gruesome features, his depressed eyes, and I gasped for I realized that I, I was the visage. What have I become?

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:05 PM

Mongolia and its deserts are some of the least explored portions of land in the world. A cryptid could exist there easily and remain unidentified by science to this day, why not. It's not like the claims are that it shoots lasers out of its head. Electric shock is a scientifically cataloged form of defense in nature by some animals. As is the spitting of acid. I won't commit 100% belief into its existence until I see one, sure. But that doesn't necessitate that I have to commit 100% disbelief in its existence just because I haven't seen one.

Just because they don't see legs doesn't mean they aren't there. All I'm trying to do is rationalize about what this could possibly be with the given statements.

#9    Mike G1

Mike G1

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:10 PM

This will get you up to speed quick on the Death Worm, and by Charles Fort's great nephew no less...

Part 3
Part 4

Posted Image

#10    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,246 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:22 AM

There was a Destination Truth about the Death Worm. They interviewed several old men who lived on the edge of he desert and who even led the team to holes the worms supposed lived in. It was not very convincing.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#11    Mike G1

Mike G1

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:52 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 26 April 2011 - 04:22 AM, said:

There was a Destination Truth about the Death Worm. They interviewed several old men who lived on the edge of he desert and who even led the team to holes the worms supposed lived in. It was not very convincing.

That's because DT is a pretty weak show.

Posted Image

#12    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,089 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:10 PM

View Postmike gomez1, on 25 April 2011 - 08:10 PM, said:

This will get you up to speed quick on the Death Worm, and by Charles Fort's great nephew no less...

Part 3
Part 4

Interesting documentary, but I am not allowed to see part 4 in my country, jeesh (copyright infringement).

#13    Cryptozological Mascot

Cryptozological Mascot

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

• “Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.” –Martin Reese, British Astronomer

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:51 PM

Icky Icky Icky poo poo!

The world is my oyster... and I'm allergic to sea food.
My Background / Credentials

#14    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,647 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:34 PM

Mongolia and its deserts are some of the least explored portions of land in the world. A cryptid could exist there easily and remain unidentified by science to this day, why not.

While it's very plausible assumption, the same has been said with the Sasquatch, the Yeti, and the Loch Ness monster.

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#15    swoop1234

swoop1234

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:33 PM

GOD DAMN MONGORIANS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users