Photo

The Big Move

Posted by karmakazi , 29 November 2012 · 386 views

I've been thinking a lot about the upcoming cross country move, because it's getting really close!  Our lease runs out in January and I've sent notice that we will be vacating when the lease terminates.  I've made decisions as far as when I'm going to give notice to my employer and I've taken the first steps of setting up a post office box in the new city.

I bought a dog crate that is big enough for both of my cats, a small litter box and a nice fluffy bed for them to sleep on, and it's in the living room with the bed inside in the hopes that the cats will get used to it before they actually have to spend three days in it.  At first they sniffed it and ignored it... then I draped a sheet over it to make it more cave like, and Max immediately claimed it as his "safe" spot.  He sleeps in it a lot and he runs to it when he's looking for a spot to hide.  Blitz pretty much ignores it unless Max is in there, then he walks over and sniffs Max.  Beyond that, he hasn't really gone inside.  The good news is I was more concerned about Max handling it than Blitz... Blitz doesn't like travelling and he really doesn't like being put in his carrier, but while he's in there he does not freak out quite the way that Max does.  So, knowing that Max has really taken to the cage is a relief.  We're planning on giving them mild sedation, that should help too.

I found out that the post office has a service called General Delivery, which with a zip code and your name will address a package to wait at the main post office for that zip code.  Then, show id and pick up your mail within 30 days... it's going to be a huge help, since I was planning on shipping my art supplies and a few other things.

The cat cage is taking up about 1/2 of the space in my hatchback, so it limits how much we can carry with us.  Of course we aren't taking any furniture, our TV is probably going to ship by UPS and so we can take our computers and a few boxes of stuff in the car, and anything else would have to be shipped USPS in flat rate boxes.

The best part about this move (other than moving someplace that almost never has snow or humidity) is that it has forced me to take my minimalist nature several steps further.  I've had to consider what I really, truely need to take with me, what I can just buy again later (if I even need it), and if there are any posessions that really mean much to me at all.  As it turns out, there are a few.    The first of course, is my artwork.  That was a no-brainer, definitely going with me in the car so that I can best protect it.  I made the tough decision to remove my canvases from their stretchers and transport them that way, in order to minimize damage and space.  The rest is in portfolio books which are heavy but easy to pack.  Then, there are a very small number of mementos that mean anything to me... one item from each of my great grandmothers, Blitz's baby teeth (yes, I know, I'm weird), and a few photos and things like that.  It all fits in a space smaller than a shoe box.

Anything else we are taking is purely convenience... art supplies that I'd prefer not to have to buy again (some of this stuff is expensive or I can't find it any longer), clothing, computers, a few kitchen items and a couple of decorative things that I really love.

One is a plastic life size replica of a human skull, which I painted to make it more lifelike.  I purchased it to use in photoshoots and ended up really liking how it looks sitting on a shelf.  The other is a teal glass vase that is just really beautiful to me and it was one of the first things I bought when I moved out on my own.  It's something I could part with if I had to, but since I can keep it I would prefer to.

Other than that... I've gotten rid of a lot already, and we are going to be discarding the furniture, plates & most other kitchen things, most books are already gone and more will be going, CD's have all been discarded, and I've significantly pared down my art supplies... I even went so far as to donate all of my acrylic paint, brushes and blank canvases.

I am, however, clinging to my Prismacolor markers... Oh how I love them :D

Anyway, all that rambling adds up to a tiny car half packed with stuff, most of which will be clothing and electronics, maybe a dozen 12x12x12 boxes shipped and the ability to start over in a new city / state / climate.  In this process, I've learned that there isn't much I want in my life, and the three most important things have heartbeats... not plastic, glass, wood, plaster or manufactured.  Everything else could be destroyed or left behind, and other than the artwork, I wouldn't be heartbroken over it.  The destruction of all my art would be more difficult, but it's nothing that I can't survive.  After all, I can always make more... and I would anyway so... :D

exciting!!

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

• Photo
    The Big Move
    By _Only
    Nov 29 2012 05:55 PM
  • Photo
    Choice
    By The Mule
    Nov 13 2012 11:57 AM
  • Photo