Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 4 votes

What are you reading?

• Please log in to reply
1560 replies to this topic

#1216    schizoidwoman

schizoidwoman

The roosting goose...

• 12,538 posts

• Much mischief is done by the misuse of mercury...

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:56 AM

I've just started The Dress of the People by John Styles, and so far it's a very good read.

#1217    danbell06

danbell06

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

• BNAG.... < That's Bang out of order!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:43 PM

I'm reading, "The Watcher" by Charles Mclean. It is, upto now, the best book I've read.
So many twists and turns, you never know whats going on. In the first couple of chapters there is a big big shock. Highly recommended

'There was no warning of any kind . . .'

Friday rush-hour. Martin Gregory, laden with packages, just manages to catch the 4.48 train. Tomorrow is his wife's birthday - he has a surprise in store - and he plans to devote the weekend to her and their beloved dogs. But Saturday morning, Martin rises early and does something so horrific, so inexplicable and so out of character his only option is to run . . .

And from this shocking incident the journey begins. With the help of a therapist he can't trust, and friends who no longer trust him, Martin's quest for meaning takes him down shifting realities and twisting corridors of time into the deepest recesses of the human mind. It is a world of menace and obsession from which neither he - nor the reader - can escape, for Martin Gregory is either lost in a dark maze of madness and horror, or frighteningly sane

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Posted Image

#1218    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

The Shield And The Sword/The Knights Of The Order by Ernle Bradford

The epic story of the Sovereign Military and Hospitaller Order of St. John of Jerusalem, of Rhodes, and of Malta. The oldest Order of Chivalry and the third oldest religious Order of Christendom. As told by one of the masters, historian Bradford.

(I also have the author's biography on the brilliant Muslim pirate-admiral Babarossa, known as Hayrettin Pasha to the Turks, who terrorized the Mediterranean seas for the Ottoman Empire during the 16th Century.)

Edited by dside, 13 July 2012 - 10:36 AM.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#1219    Viviana98

Viviana98

Paranormal Investigator

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

I'm in the middle of a book called Stiff by Mary Roach

#1220    regi

regi

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

An Unspeakable Crime, which is about the investigation, prosecution, and all that came later with a case from 1913 in which a 13 year-old was found murdered in the basement of the National Pencil Factory in Atlanta, Georgia where she'd gone to pick up her paycheck.
According to the book (I didn't know this) in those days, defendants didn't take the stand, but were allowed to address the jury before the jury decided on a verdict.

I'm looking forward to reading The life and Death Of Thelma Todd, which my local public library ordered, per my request.

#1221    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

The Devil's Colony by James Rollins...who's books I usually enjoy, but Im really not digging this one so much. Probably because it might be hinting at Mormonism as being a valid religion.

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#1222    Miss Shadows

Miss Shadows

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

• Welcome to my home. Now get the **** out.

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

I just finished 'After the Darkness' by Sidney Sheldon (and I think it was finished off by Tilly Bagshawe, lesser known), and it was a good book in my opinion, but I feel like it lacked the overall plot-depth I've found in Sheldon's other novels, and I guess I just don't like how a lot of the ends seemed to be left untied, and how the story itself literally concluded. I don't know what exactly I was expecting, but it's probably one of my least favorite Sidney Sheldon novels I've read. However, I'm approximately 30 pages into 'The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest', and wading through the criminal investigation matters is a bit tedious for me, but I still can tell I'm going to Love this one just as much as the previous two books in the series. What'd Stieg Larsson (the author) die of anyway? Am I the only one who finds it a little odd in some way that one of his characters died in the middle of writing a book?

American with an accent, Christian with a tat, sociopath with a heart, child with no mother, Lover with no Lover, confidently doubting, amused but not laughing, woman but child, feisty yet caring, sweet when not bitter.

#1223    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

View Postregi, on 13 July 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

An Unspeakable Crime, which is about the investigation, prosecution, and all that came later with a case from 1913 in which a 13 year-old was found murdered in the basement of the National Pencil Factory in Atlanta, Georgia where she'd gone to pick up her paycheck.
According to the book (I didn't know this) in those days, defendants didn't take the stand, but were allowed to address the jury before the jury decided on a verdict.

You're talking about the case of Leo Frank, right ?? Very interesting case. :yes:

#1224    cenobite

cenobite

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

• old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

just starting the dark volume by gw dahlquist, will report more when im further in

TCB

#1225    Miss Shadows

Miss Shadows

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

• Welcome to my home. Now get the **** out.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

View PostViviana98, on 13 July 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

I'm in the middle of a book called Stiff by Mary Roach
Is that the one that's sort of about the history of burials and corpses? How they used to prepare cadavers and all that? Or am I thinking of something totally different?

American with an accent, Christian with a tat, sociopath with a heart, child with no mother, Lover with no Lover, confidently doubting, amused but not laughing, woman but child, feisty yet caring, sweet when not bitter.

#1226    Viviana98

Viviana98

Paranormal Investigator

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

View PostScreamingSarcasm, on 23 July 2012 - 08:49 AM, said:

Is that the one that's sort of about the history of burials and corpses? How they used to prepare cadavers and all that? Or am I thinking of something totally different?

Ya its about the history of human cadavers...have you read it?

#1227    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:22 AM

The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn

I have quickly come to the conclusion this is definitely one of the best books I have ever read. Shocking and heartwrenching, further amplified by the Russian author's warm and engaging voice. This book has punch.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#1228    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:55 AM

I am still casually reading The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn and wouldnt be surprised if it takes me months to finish it

But am also now reading The Balfour Declaration: The Origins Of The Arab-Israeli Conflict by Jonathan Schneer (British author and the book is  a National Jewish Book Awards Winner)

#1229    didymusclairvoyant

didymusclairvoyant

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

I read books off and on, was never really a hobby of mine but the last cool & unique book I've been reading every now and then is called "Random Thoughts" by Steve Russo. I wasn't very interested into reading it at first but whenever I first picked it up and opened it to see more of what it was about, instantly I became attached to it. Pretty interesting book, I recommend it

• 4a. Advertising: Do not use your signature or profile to promote commercial products, services or web sites.
  • 4b. Image Size: Signatures should be no larger than 500x150 pixels. Images used in signatures or avatars should not exceed 100k.
  • 4c. Distracting images: Please avoid the use of flashing or overly distracting animated signature or avatar images.

#1230    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,484 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:26 PM

The Darker Side by Cody McFadyen . All his books with the FBI agent Smokey Barret are seriously freaky and really good.

They have a 7even feeling over them..... but more of everything.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users