Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atheist tactics in Calif

ranrod

As a non-believer, I'm often surprised by the actions of others like me. Here's one such example:

http://www.foxnews.c...go-to-court-to/

If Christians want to legally put displays for Christmas, who cares? It's like someone taking me to court for putting my Halloween decorations of witches, ghosts, and zombies outside my home (or Easter bunny decorations for that matter). It's just for fun and playing pretend for many. Taking an activist position against someone showing their beliefs sounds intolerant and anti-atheist if you ask me. We're not supposed to care, right?

Edited by ranrod
  • Like 1

Because it isn't a Christmas scene they want. It's a nativity scene they want.

Christmas is decoration of trees, lights, and gifts. If a religious person wants their holy figures on display, do it in your own home.

• Like 2

Personally I think picking on something like this is a wast of time. Christmas, although there may be presents and decorated trees, it is a symbol of the birth of Christ.

If Churches want to display nativities scenes, can't they do it on their own property. Why do they have to use public property?

Personally I think picking on something like this is a wast of time. Christmas, although there may be presents and decorated trees, it is a symbol of the birth of Christ.

My Jehovah Witness neighbor calls it a Pagan holiday and she is right. The Christmas was put on the 25 of Dec, because there was a Pagan holiday already being celebrated, not because Christ was born on that day. Blessed Solstice all.

• Like 2

The church will be suing for freedom of speech violation.

====================================================

can the church be sued for exactly the same reason ? After all, they have been doing the same thing to others for years.

Edited by freetoroam

My Jehovah Witness neighbor calls it a Pagan holiday and she is right. The Christmas was put on the 25 of Dec, because there was a Pagan holiday already being celebrated, not because Christ was born on that day. Blessed Solstice all.

Absolutely right!

And (halloween) Samhain and (Easter) Ostara and if i want to pedantic, (British summer time) the summer solstice and (British winter time) the winter solstice and a **** load of other things..........and the christians want to sue!!!!

• Like 1

I'm an atheist but I wouldn't object to the display that is being planned, and Vix's stand next to it sounds perfectly reasonable too.

What I find objectionable and feel should be banned are depictions of the crucifixion in public places ...... and that would include inside churches too. (Probably some Halloween displays should be banned too ..... sorry ranrod!)

• Like 1

The state cannot make any endorsement of any religion. End of story. Christ has to obey the same laws that Odin, Zeus, Mithra, Ra, etc, do.

• Like 1

I'm an atheist but I wouldn't object to the display that is being planned, and Vix's stand next to it sounds perfectly reasonable too.

What I find objectionable and feel should be banned are depictions of the crucifixion in public places ...... and that would include inside churches too. (Probably some Halloween displays should be banned too ..... sorry ranrod!)

I agree, I also have no qualms against a few decorations here and there, brightens the place up.

The state cannot make any endorsement of any religion. End of story. Christ has to obey the same laws that Odin, Zeus, Mithra, Ra, etc, do.

That's not what's happening though. The city of Santa Monica allows anyone to buy space for Holiday decorations. Christians took some space for their nativity scene. Atheists were also able to buy space. It's fair.

As non-believers we see what they're doing akin to believing in Santa Claus or the tooth fairy. Why would we get offended by that?

some Halloween displays should be banned too ..... sorry ranrod!)

I actually agree that some Halloween decorations are going over-the-top. When I was little were evil pumpkins, witches, frankenstein, ghosts, etc, but there no depictions of decapitations, torture, dismemberment, humans skinned alive, etc. I think that kind of stuff has to stop.

• Like 1

I think the best solution to this is saying "yes you can have your nativity scene, however we will be getting in historians and other experts to ensure scientific and historical accuracy" and not allowing the display until it's representative of the closest historical approximation to what the scene would have been in the Dung Ages.

• Like 1

That's not what's happening though. The city of Santa Monica allows anyone to buy space for Holiday decorations. Christians took some space for their nativity scene. Atheists were also able to buy space. It's fair.

As non-believers we see what they're doing akin to believing in Santa Claus or the tooth fairy. Why would we get offended by that?

The problem seems to be, from that article, that Atheists bought space as well and so this year, rather than have both, the city has decided to have none. The churches are the ones that are all butt hurt here, not the Atheists. If the city is going to allow any religious display, then they have to allow ALL religious displays, otherwise they are endorsing one over another, which the constitution prohibits. And of course faux news tries to make it the atheist's fault for freely expressing their beliefs as well.

• Like 2

I actually agree that some Halloween decorations are going over-the-top. When I was little were evil pumpkins, witches, frankenstein, ghosts, etc, but there no depictions of decapitations, torture, dismemberment, humans skinned alive, etc. I think that kind of stuff has to stop.

No! Those are the best decorations to have at Halloween!

• Like 1

I think the best solution to this is saying "yes you can have your nativity scene, however we will be getting in historians and other experts to ensure scientific and historical accuracy" and not allowing the display until it's representative of the closest historical approximation to what the scene would have been in the Dung Ages.

So theres no play this year then?

Because it isn't a Christmas scene they want. It's a nativity scene they want.

Christmas is decoration of trees, lights, and gifts. If a religious person wants their holy figures on display, do it in your own home.

Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ.

So..

Yeah.

No! Those are the best decorations to have at Halloween!

All that is an American invention, none of that happens in Samhain.

Like the All Saints day, it comes from the Celts where they celebrated their dead and ancestry.

All that is an American invention, none of that happens in Samhain.

Like the All Saints day, it comes from the Celts where they celebrated their dead and ancestry.

I know where Halloween comes from, and I don't care. I just want zombies, rotten corpses and body parts to litter the streets one day of the year.

• Like 2

my husband and I celebrate Yule from the 1st of December to the 1st of January.....nothing to do with the birth of the alledged Jesus.

• Like 1

The Christmas was put on the 25 of Dec, because there was a Pagan holiday already being celebrated, not because Christ was born on that day.

That Pagan holiday wasn't Christmas, though.

I know where Halloween comes from, and I don't care. I just want zombies, rotten corpses and body parts to litter the streets one day of the year.

PMSL

• Like 1

my husband and I celebrate Yule from the 1st of December to the 1st of January.....nothing to do with the birth of the alledged Jesus.

That's cool, but that's not Christmas.

That Pagan holiday wasn't Christmas, though.

OK, well lets embrace other cultures and I say we have a time in September where we all abstain from alcohol and pork in the day and binge on it at night, see how that goes down, very nice I would say

That's cool, but that's not Christmas.

We know, its Yule.

The problem seems to be, from that article, that Atheists bought space as well and so this year, rather than have both, the city has decided to have none. The churches are the ones that are all butt hurt here, not the Atheists. If the city is going to allow any religious display, then they have to allow ALL religious displays, otherwise they are endorsing one over another, which the constitution prohibits. And of course faux news tries to make it the atheist's fault for freely expressing their beliefs as well.

The article talks about other religions having a booth as well (the Jewish one). Others could have a booth as well if they cared, but I don't think they do. Ironically (I think), atheists care.