Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Puppy-Sized Spider Surprises Scientist

Still Waters

Piotr Naskrecki was taking a nighttime walk in a rainforest in Guyana, when he heard rustling as if something were creeping underfoot. When he turned on his flashlight, he expected to see a small mammal, such as a possum or a rat.

"When I turned on the light, I couldn't quite understand what I was seeing," said Naskrecki, an entomologist and photographer at Harvard University's Museum of Comparative Zoology.

A moment later, he realized he was looking not at a brown, furry mammal, but an enormous, puppy-size spider.

https://uk.news.yaho...53.html#VTsywTr

• Like 3

As cute as a puppy too - as no doubt all the members here would agree, right DoT? :innocent::whistle:

• Like 4

As much as I like spiders; can we not use "puppy" as a unit of measurement? It strikes me as a bit bizarre.

• Like 1

His hand in pic is below the log,( further away from camera ) and the spider close to the camera......

The Spider is not as big as he says......

• Like 2

As cute as a puppy too - as no doubt all the members here would agree, right DoT? :innocent::whistle:

I think DoT's busy right now (putting up an electric fence around her property no doubt).

Kill it with extreme prejudice! frantic.gif

After catching the specimen he found in Guyana, which was female, Naskrecki took her back to his lab to study. She's now deposited in a museum.

http://www.khou.com/...orest/17551417/

Awww ... leave spidey alone ~

• Like 2

I will happily forget i ever saw the vile creature..Golum is more appealing to my eyes!

I just found this video which fits rather well in here. :D Sorry for those of you who don't like spiders, including me I might add!

Puppy-Size Tarantula Found: Explaining World's Biggest Spider

http://voices.nation...-south-america/

• Like 1

'Beware their hair'

:lol:

yup ... you don;t wanna mess with spidey on a bad hair day :P

I just found this video which fits rather well in here. :D Sorry for those of you who don't like spiders, including me I might add!

http://voices.nation...-south-america/

From that same article: "Many of the locals in northeastern South America regard T. blondi as a tasty snack. "

oh-hell-no.jpg

oh come on. it's not any stranger than eating lobster.

"puppy sized" is such a strange measurement though. puppies can vary in size quite a lot! it's not an illustrative example!

• Like 3

"puppy sized" is such a strange measurement though. puppies can vary in size quite a lot! it's not an illustrative example!

True.Thank god it wasnt the size of a Great Dane pup.Id have run away quicker than Usain Bolt if that had been me.

It certainly is for me. :yes:

Some would say eating dog, horse or cats are no stranger than eating rabbit, cow or chicken.

• Like 2

From that same article: "Many of the locals in northeastern South America regard T. blondi as a tasty snack. "

oh-hell-no.jpg

Yup, catch it, brush of the irritable hairs and cook it on a stick marshmallow style, double check all the hairs are gone and crunch...

I remember watching young kids catching and cooking these as a treat on a docu' once.

His hand in pic is below the log,( further away from camera ) and the spider close to the camera......

The Spider is not as big as he says......

Well, would you want to put your hand anywhere near that spider? I know I wouldn't :no: