Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why Is The NRA So Powerful?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#16    preacherman76

preacherman76

Seeker

• 11,427 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

The NRA isnt powerful. The second amendment on which they stand is.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#17    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

I just dont get all the gun bashing lately,i've never been anywhere and seen a rogue gun all hopped up on meth or a gun trying to jack someone for there gold chain.Nope never seen it happen,the problem is inside these peoples heads our culture now days is all messed up.We have become a society without morals,respect,or caring about anyone other than ourselves and we are looking for something to blame it on.Does anyone truly think criminals will voluntarily register there weapons?Turn them in?If so go to chicago where all barry's laws are in effect and take a walk late at night in good chunks of the city and see how that works out for you!

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#18    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,352 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 23 January 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

I just dont get all the gun bashing lately,i've never been anywhere and seen a rogue gun all hopped up on meth or a gun trying to jack someone for there gold chain.Nope never seen it happen,the problem is inside these peoples heads our culture now days is all messed up.We have become a society without morals,respect,or caring about anyone other than ourselves and we are looking for something to blame it on.Does anyone truly think criminals will voluntarily register there weapons?Turn them in?If so go to chicago where all barry's laws are in effect and take a walk late at night in good chunks of the city and see how that works out for you!

Insular solutions lead nowhere. I always like to put forward the good old NY City laws about handguns. Well, all it took in the good old days is to take the ferry to Jersey and within a block of the landing point there was a gun shop where anybody who wanted to could buy himself a gun, put it in his pocket and take the next ferry home, until the Brady laws came along. One might not have to do with the other, but gun violence has been on the decline since those laws were enacted. And they are still on the decline.

And toothless laws lead nowhere, if you want to ban non-registered guns the penalties have to be stiff, like several years without possibility of parole. When you get 1 year for holding up a liquor store, but 5 for using an unregistered gun in the process holding up liquor stores becomes economically not feasible. And if you use your own gun you soon will find yourself without one.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#19    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 2,061 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

Prohibition only stopped the legal distillers yet caused gang violence to explode,the war on drugs is a absolute failure,soon as they pass a new law to ban something criminals just get rich.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#20    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,352 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 23 January 2013 - 02:25 PM, said:

Prohibition only stopped the legal distillers yet caused gang violence to explode,the war on drugs is a absolute failure,soon as they pass a new law to ban something criminals just get rich.

I am not talking prohibition, I am talking control. And Booze, in most states, is a good example.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#21    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 2,061 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

I am not talking about legal citizens who obey the law,im talking about criminals control means nothing to them.Be it guns,booze,drugs,or anything else and yes booze is controlled now during prohibition not so much.

#22    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,352 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 23 January 2013 - 02:39 PM, said:

I am not talking about legal citizens who obey the law,im talking about criminals control means nothing to them.Be it guns,booze,drugs,or anything else and yes booze is controlled now during prohibition not so much.

Criminals are not in it to be criminals, as a rule they are in it to make money just like anybody else doing a job or they are mentally deranged. The solution is to make it damn expensive to earn money by being a criminal and putting the deranged into an asylum. And long mandatory sentences makes it damn expensive. And having guns controlled also does as the countries where they are show. There they have to fork out a few thousand to get themselves an old Makarov illegally. That in itself makes it cost prohibitive to use it in petty crime.

about me

#23    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 2,061 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

I get what your saying questionmark,i just am looking at all the unintended consequences that can happen that is all.Everyone should not be punished because some nut jobs had a bad day.

#24    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,352 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 23 January 2013 - 02:55 PM, said:

I get what your saying questionmark,i just am looking at all the unintended consequences that can happen that is all.Everyone should not be punished because some nut jobs had a bad day.

Where I agree.

about me

#25    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 12,349 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 23 January 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

That is very little successful lately because of the drought and American products not really competitive on the international market because overpriced. But that is OK...

Yes, there are very few things that we, the once biggest exporter in the world, can still successfully export. And the biggest demand is American guns... sometimes they even try to smuggle them out... something we cannot say for the rest of our industrial products.
Corn is an industry, an industrial product with a myriad of uses.   Anyone in Iowa would know this.   We're the biggest exporter of corn in the world.   We feed the world, literally.   Come down off your anti-American hobby horse for a moment and don't blame your country on the drought next.   Millions would starve if we didn't feed them.   Though there's always another poor reason not to show gratitude for the good things people do.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#26    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,545 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

The U.S. exports a lot of stuff. Lot's of food items, refined fuels, airplanes and machinery. Jobs- I hear a lot of people comment on exporting jobs. The U.S. has a lot of successful industries. A whole bunch of them have lobbyists just like the NRA.

#27    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,352 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

View PostYamato, on 23 January 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

Corn is an industry, an industrial product with a myriad of uses.   Anyone in Iowa would know this.   We're the biggest exporter of corn in the world.   We feed the world, literally.   Come down off your anti-American hobby horse for a moment and don't blame your country on the drought next.   Millions would starve if we didn't feed them.   Though there's always another poor reason not to show gratitude for the good things people do.

used to be, in 2012 the South American economies overtook the US. What is still true is that the US is the largest producer. And thank God that Mugabe ruined the Zimbabwe agriculture, them neither the US or Argentina and Brazil would have anything to laugh about. Check on the 2012 statistics, not on 2009.

about me

#28    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 12,349 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 23 January 2013 - 09:19 PM, said:

used to be, in 2012 the South American economies overtook the US. What is still true is that the US is the largest producer. And thank God that Mugabe ruined the Zimbabwe agriculture, them neither the US or Argentina and Brazil would have anything to laugh about. Check on the 2012 statistics, not on 2009.
Do you ever fact check what you say when you think you're safely bashing your own country?

The U.S. has seen shrinking corn export volume for the past two years, with an even bigger drop in the U.S. share of global corn trade. After decades of U.S. share of global corn in the 60% to 70% range, U.S. share is expected to fall to just 36.9% this year.

Brazil, already a major competitor for U.S. soybeans, has seen its world corn share rise from less than 9.3% in 2009-2010 to 16% this year.

http://www.agricultu...ition_9-ar27558

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#29    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,352 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

View Postrashore, on 23 January 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

The U.S. exports a lot of stuff. Lot's of food items, refined fuels, airplanes and machinery. Jobs- I hear a lot of people comment on exporting jobs. The U.S. has a lot of successful industries. A whole bunch of them have lobbyists just like the NRA.

It exports way le3ss than it imports, which was not the case until '73:
Posted Image
We are at the point that 15% of the GDP is imports, which is way to much for any healthy economy.

about me

#30    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,352 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

View PostYamato, on 23 January 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

Do you ever fact check what you say when you think you're safely bashing your own country?

The U.S. has seen shrinking corn export volume for the past two years, with an even bigger drop in the U.S. share of global corn trade. After decades of U.S. share of global corn in the 60% to 70% range, U.S. share is expected to fall to just 36.9% this year.

Brazil, already a major competitor for U.S. soybeans, has seen its world corn share rise from less than 9.3% in 2009-2010 to 16% this year.

http://www.agricultu...ition_9-ar27558

Is 36% the feeding the world? And yes, thank you for confirming what I was saying. The US used to be the biggest exporter of corn. Welcome to the basher's club.

Do you ever think before posting? Or are you just driven by  the want to be right?

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users