Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are alien probes scouring the galaxy ?

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#46    hacktorp

hacktorp

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 17 July 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

I have to admit "I am a AAAAB "  Thats a Absolute Alien American Affirmant Believer" as for the probes They just need to keep them away from me and I`ll be just fine !
As for the Skeptice and Non-Believers we all need a place in line some where ! You guys can stand at the rear of this one !
E.T. is way tooo Cool and a smooth operator to ever get caught on this rock snoopin around. I bet they Zip around just laughing at us ?
But keep Looking Up ! Or you will never see them ! :tu: :alien:

Yes!  They should take their silly probes and scour elsewhere!  Uranus would be just fine.

#47    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,508 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

View Posthacktorp, on 17 July 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

Yes!  They should take their silly probes and scour elsewhere!  Uranus would be just fine.
I hope you're not being rude to our friend Dont.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#48    hacktorp

hacktorp

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:04 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 17 July 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

I hope you're not being rude to our friend Dont.

No way!  I'd sooner be subjected to 'Double Secret Probe-Ation' than be rude to anyone!

#49    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,703 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

LOL now were getting to the Apex moment on the subject ! OUCH !!!
Well The Alien probes are one thing,its the Formal Dinners they throw for us Im waiting for !
They are going to pull all the Stops out ." TO SERV MAN" you member ! don't you member ?
Heey  Lucy we gotta another planet for dinner ! :whistle:

This is a Work in Progress!

#50    hacktorp

hacktorp

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

"What? Earthburgers AGAIN?  You got a LOTTA 'splainin' to do!

#51    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,685 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:44 AM

I think you would send out probes, to find the places you really want to explore.  But, I think the movie independent day has it more correct.  Just take everyone.  When you get to a new system, unoccupied, take all the resources you need move on.  I think wee cn build such a ship now.  When you need to build more such ships to either travel together or split up.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#52    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:58 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 17 July 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

How do you mean, nutcases? All UFO Sightings are the work of nutcases, is that what you're saying?
I think as a general rule, yes.  I've had dozens of experiences of this and had no difficulty finding more reasonable ways to look at it; and even an "I don't know" approach seems more rational.  Maybe my problem is the word "nutcase," as a shorthand for someone who seems to prefer the exotic over the mundane, when the mundane is really the way to go.

#53    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:04 AM

View Postdanielost, on 18 July 2013 - 02:44 AM, said:

I think you would send out probes, to find the places you really want to explore.  But, I think the movie independent day has it more correct.  Just take everyone.  When you get to a new system, unoccupied, take all the resources you need move on.  I think wee cn build such a ship now.  When you need to build more such ships to either travel together or split up.
The film hypothesized a species that by its nature quickly consumed all the natural resources of a planet and then was necessarily forced to move on.  I think a more self-sustaining society will be possible, so that any expansion will either be from curiosity or from insurance.

#54    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,583 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:46 AM

There is also an argument against Alien civilizations creating self-replicating probes in the first place. There is some probability that during the self-replicating process errors would occur in the original program of the probes. Over generations, these errors would increase to the point that the probes' program would eventually be completely different than the originally intended program.

Instead of the intended benign information gathering behavior, the behavior of some later generation of probes would become unpredictable. There would be some probability that these probes would have become aggressive and hostile to biological life.

This scenario being a statistical probability, Alien civilizations would dare not to create these information gathering self-replicating probes.

Even if the probes were not self-replicating, but self-repairing, the same scenario could occur.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#55    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:49 AM

What exactly do you envision they might evolve into?  I don't see anything similar to natural selection being around.

#56    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,583 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:22 AM

Frank Merton said:

What exactly do you envision they might evolve into?  I don't see anything similar to natural selection being around.

If you're asking me, I would assume these probes would need to have some high level of artificial intelligence to determine the level of intelligence and technology of a planetary civilization. I would think they would be programmed to detect and comprehend as much information as possible of Earth culture, for instance. I would also think the Alien technology used in these probes would be much advanced compared to our own technology.

Why go to all this expense and trouble sending probes all over the galaxy if they're just dumb receptors of basic biological life?

It would seem that in any self-replicating device there would be a probability, however small, that there would be an error in the replicating process. I would think generations of perfect replications would be much more improbable, if not an impossibility.

These errors in replicating would be similar to biological mutations, or a kind of artificial selection.They would have unpredictable results in the intelligence program of the probes. These errors would be passed on to later generations. It would only take one crazy probe to start an unlimited replication of itself exponentially to create havoc in the galaxy.

One problem with this defense against uncontrolled replication is that it would only require a single probe to malfunction and begin unrestricted reproduction for the entire approach to fail — essentially a technological cancer — unless each probe also has the ability to detect such malfunction in its neighbours and implements a seek and destroy protocol.
https://en.wikipedia...ting_spacecraft

#57    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:41 AM

Biological evolution occurs when random mutation (reproductive errors) happen that for one reason or another are an improvement over the parent's phylogeny, allowing it to pass its new material into the succeeding generations more successfully and thereby and therefore we presume eventually replace the older forms.

The factors creating this improvement are sexual and natural selection.  There would be no sex with probes, so only natural selection might be an element.  I just don't see this.  With natural breeding populations you have a niche in an environment. Here you have individual probes rarely interacting with each other or anything else.  The benefits of probes in terms of cost and accessibility to parts of the universe we can't see appear to me to vastly outweigh an almost trivial danger

#58    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,583 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:38 AM

Biological random mutation produces defects as well as improvements. Genetic mutations can be beneficial or harmful. Harmful mutations can cause genetic disorders or hereditary diseases.

We cannot say what kind of technology Alien probes are made of. Their method of replication may be similar to biological reproduction.These probes may be a combination of technology and biology. They may be real life-forms, though artificially created. Who can say what kind of technology an advanced race of beings can devise?

Due to the damaging effects that mutations can have on genes, organisms have mechanisms such as DNA repair to prevent or correct (revert the mutated sequence back to its original state) mutations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutation

However, this DNA repair mechanism itself can become defective by harmful mutations. I think it would be a danger for advanced civilizations to send out millions of self-replicating or self-repairing machines into the galaxy, knowing that there is a calculable probability that unpredictable mutations or errors will occur within some generations of probes. Especially if these probes are capable of unlimited reproductions.

#59    Asadora

Asadora

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

After reading this thread, a rather random thought occurred to me:

If there can be possible alien probes adventuring through-out space. And if there are drones that venture out all over our world... then when does one have to be able to start to tell a difference between them?

This is a genuine ponderment.

Kind Regards :)

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#60    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

Often Unsatisfactory

• 23,508 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

View PostAsadora, on 18 July 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

After reading this thread, a rather random thought occurred to me:

If there can be possible alien probes adventuring through-out space. And if there are drones that venture out all over our world... then when does one have to be able to start to tell a difference between them?

This is a genuine ponderment.

Kind Regards :)
i suppose the difference is that the Drones we use for such purposes as spying on people or assassinating America's Enemies are remotely controlled, and the decision making is left to those bravely controling them from a bunker deep underneath a mountain in Wyoming. When we start devloping self-aware Drones that can make their own decisions, then perhaps people might begin to raise objections ....

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users