Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UM Awards for 06

SAMURAI-X

I was just lookin at the FAQ thing and couldn't find this, so sorry but when is the next UM award for 06 gonna be, can't wait to see whos gonna win some of these things.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OlDrippy34

• Walken

• snuffypuffer

• SAMURAI-X

Haha, feeling lucky?

*votes for RamboIII* :D

PM Saruman once, SAMURAI-X. He'll tell you for sure.

and come back and post what he tells!

Should be sometime around the end of this month, that's when the first two were held. :tu:

Unfortunately there isn't going to be any awards this year, I made up my mind at the end of last year's awards that they would be the last.

The main reason for this is because I don't believe that the award system is fair. When it boils down to it the awards are little more than a popularity contest, which is not what I originally intended them to be. There were quite a few complaints in this regard last year, and I found myself agreeing with them. The awards turned out not to be based on who has contributed the most or who has provided the best discussions or quality of posts, instead it's based on how many votes are received, usually based on popularity.

It was never my intention to hold a popularity contest, and I wasn't happy that the awards had become that. Awards for winning a chess or debate tournament are fair enough, but holding an award system where visitors vote for who wins the prize is not a fair enough representation of who deserves to win them, in my opinion.

^ Thats very true but I must admit i was looking forward to voting but thanks anyway :)

On the best male/female member I agree, and perhaps a few others also, but awards such as "best topical thread" were based on other merits than popularity.

Dayum, I was lookin' forward to a Most Deprived, Insane Member nomination...Ah well....

*Curls up on floor shaking while eating a hairy cabbage*

And I guess Saru does have a point with the awards being pretty rigged by popularity. Especially stuff like Best Member, etc. Like when Burnsie won about 90,000 billion different awards last year *Shudder*

I'm sorry to hear that, I was looking forward to voting but what you said is true, thanks for the info Saruman :tu:

I was looking at last years and burnside did get a bunch of votes but he does have a good avatar.

Unfortunately there isn't going to be any awards this year, I made up my mind at the end of last year's awards that they would be the last.

The main reason for this is because I don't believe that the award system is fair. When it boils down to it the awards are little more than a popularity contest, which is not what I originally intended them to be. There were quite a few complaints in this regard last year, and I found myself agreeing with them. The awards turned out not to be based on who has contributed the most or who has provided the best discussions or quality of posts, instead it's based on how many votes are received, usually based on popularity.

It was never my intention to hold a popularity contest, and I wasn't happy that the awards had become that. Awards for winning a chess or debate tournament are fair enough, but holding an award system where visitors vote for who wins the prize is not a fair enough representation of who deserves to win them, in my opinion.

Whatever you say boss. I see what you mean, and there's still the chess tourney.

Oh damn, looks like I won't get "Weird Guy that I can Never Identify With"

After all :(

Unfortunately

You know when SaRuMaN opens his statement with "unfortuantely", that theres gonna be no UM awards this year. :rofl:

I wanted some award... maybe most diverse or sumtyn.

How about just have the forum leaders vote? (membership won't know who voted for who) Not that I'd really Want to get a most annoying or useless member award...

maybe get a list of nominees and member can accept nom or not, then mods vote

or just ignore me

How about just have the forum leaders vote? (membership won't know who voted for who) Not that I'd really Want to get a most annoying or useless member award...

maybe get a list of nominees and member can accept nom or not, then mods vote

or just ignore me

LOL most ignored member award? :D

Nah, too many people were feeling hurt and left out by the ratings system. It's better to just let the thing go than to let it keep becoming a glorified beauty pageant.

Nah, too many people were feeling hurt and left out by the ratings system. It's better to just let the thing go than to let it keep becoming a glorified beauty pageant.

I wasnt around last year when it was going on...but I read through it...and I saw it looked like a popularity contest

Exspecially when some stick to the one or two boards....how can others know what they are like???

Take you Snuffy...All I know is that you are a regular member but I dont know what you are like on UM...because I post in the skepts boards....therefore couldnt vote for you LOL and so on :D

I think hes just mad he didn't win any awards :lol: jk

Darn it, I was hoping I might get best sig this year, I wanted to enter mine last year but I never got it finished in time :(

Not to worry, I can see why they were stopped. If it was just Mods and Admin voting would it be fairer?

We might be able to come up with a system for deciding on a fair way of picking winners for each category, but it definately wouldn't be the same system as we've used in previous years.

Whatever happens, negative award categories will definately be out.

I think hes just mad he didn't win any awards :lol: jk

Even if they came back in a different form I wouldn't be winning one :lol: I don't have that style.

On the best male/female member I agree, and perhaps a few others also, but awards such as "best topical thread" were based on other merits than popularity.

I would argue that the thread that won this award was done so through popularity... as it was a thread started by the member who won the best female member, and was just them saying that they had no ghostly experiance when they went to a graveyard.... And only 3 or 4 threads out of the thousands on UM were nominated....

Oh damn, looks like I won't get "Weird Guy that I can Never Identify With"

After all :(

i was gonna win that one.

Ah, the UM awards. So many memories. So many strange moderators beating me other the head with clubs. Oh, the years...where did they go, friends?

The UM awards hold a special place in my heart, as the specific period of time I transitoned between the feilds of 'boy wonder' and 'guy everybody hates'. I'm glad they won't be running, anymore, because frankly the idea of another low life trying to move in on my turf fills my acriminous soul with disgust.