Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cuisine de creepy-crawly: recipe book

Still Waters

This cook has taken his love of bugs to the kitchen table, using insects to add crunch to his recipes.

Channelling Heston Blumenthal's argument that cooking with insects can be delicious and sustainable, David George Gordon has created an entire recipe book using creepy crawlies.

http://www.dailymail...uring-bugs.html

• Like 1

He doesn't look the full ticket. Suppose all the normal food books have been done to the max now for anyone one to make some serious money out of a writing another one so why not do one on insects?

I think I will write a cook book about mud pies, can't be any crazier than this guy.

Yuck! I'll start cooking bugs when I absolutely have to. For now, I'll just watch other people cook and eat them.

Thanks, though... :wacko:

• Like 1

Cooked in such barbaric ways. We've hunted animals, cut trees and now insects? Escargots are tasty but I've stopped eating them at restaurants when I was told how they're being boiled alive.

But again, if this will save the world one day then may it be. I can only imagine how people in North America will react to this if introduced in the market like other food. Thinking about it, lobsters and shrimps are water bugs too and they're delicious lol.

Edited by Euryleia
  • Like 1

He doesn't look the full ticket. Suppose all the normal food books have been done to the max now for anyone one to make some serious money out of a writing another one so why not do one on insects?

I think I will write a cook book about mud pies, can't be any crazier than this guy.

except insects are edible, and are eaten regularly in many parts of the world. don't dismiss something just because you're ignorant of it.

Hell, I would try insects if they are made to look different and were seasoned right.

Eating shrimp is the same.

I actually tried a cricket once. It was dried like a chip and packaged with some kind of bacon flavoring. It still looked like a cricket and let me tell you, it was so difficult to even put in my mouth that my eyes started tearing and I started dry heaving before it even hit my tongue. When I finally chewed it up it wasn't so bad but it was the thought that made me sick.

I think it would have been better if the legs, head and wings were off.

You won't catch me eating bugs/insects, not knowingly anyway :unsure2:

I've posted news articles before about people serving them up in restaurants so this isn't as unusual as it once was, and in some countries this is the norm. Although not to my taste, this guy's book isn't as daft an idea as it first sounds.

• Like 1

Interesting but I am not sure I am quite ready to eat a gloppy spider just yet. Maybe an ant or something small that can be cooked to a crisp.

This is not how it should be done. If you cook with insects, try to process the insects into something different, that doesn't look like the real thing. Like this, most people won't even go near it.

except insects are edible, and are eaten regularly in many parts of the world. don't dismiss something just because you're ignorant of it.

Wow, thats a touch strong.

I am not ignorant of people insects, I was saying that the normal cooks books had all been done.

Normal to us people who do not eat insects as part of our daily diet.

I take it you will be buying his book as you seem so passionate about it. Hope you do, cos I doubt it will be a big hit here in England.

erg, i'm sorry, that was a bit too harsh of me.

and no, i'm not about to buy his cookbook. i got way too many cookbooks that i never use anyway! i just think that the idea is interesting, and i don't like the idea of not trying something just because it's unfamiliar.

erg, i'm sorry, that was a bit too harsh of me.

and no, i'm not about to buy his cookbook. i got way too many cookbooks that i never use anyway! i just think that the idea is interesting, and i don't like the idea of not trying something just because it's unfamiliar.

You attack someone and call them ignorant and then you say they are being harsh? you are having a laugh!!!

I'd gladly try some of them but the Tarantula (anything to do with Spiders) is a no-go.

I heard those are the best because they taste like crab. Now, I love crab legs but... I'll wait until all the crab in the world is gone before I try the spiders. lol

Interesting but I am not sure I am quite ready to eat a gloppy spider just yet. Maybe an ant or something small that can be cooked to a crisp.

I unknowingly ate some chocolate covered ants once... they taste like Nestle Crisps. They were good and I probably would have ate more if I wasn't told they were ants.

Edited by Lava_Lady

You attack someone and call them ignorant and then you say they are being harsh? you are having a laugh!!!

no. i said i was being harsh.

that is why i apologized.

• Like 1

no. i said i was being harsh.

that is why i apologized.

Sorry, i apologize for reading it wrong.

Your`re sorry, I`m sorry. hugs.

lol

• Like 1

honestly, i do agree that the book seems pretty attention seeking. insect eating is fascinating, but he's also selling it at his practice of it. ah well, he's a chef. hard to find one without a pretty big ego.

I unknowingly ate some chocolate covered ants once... they taste like Nestle Crisps. They were good and I probably would have ate more if I wasn't told they were ants.

I've had the same (knowingly) and I enjoyed them, too. :)