Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Once an Athiest - Now What?

Ziggy Stardust

For years I was an Athiest, believing only in science.

After I began astral travelling I realised the existence of a non-physical realm and non-physical entities - I realised the existence of a metaphysical world seperate from this one.

Now I wonder - what's to stop a supreme entity- known as god, from controlling this metaphysical realm and perhaps subtly influencing the physical world and it's inhabitants.

I also believe in angels. So I have the foundations on which I can build a religious philosophy, however - I have never thought much of the bible, and I have never agreed with christian ideals such as 'if you do not follow god you will burn in hell.'

Am I religious or what? If I was to buy a crucifix and wear it around my kneck, would I be worthy of doing so? I believe in god, but do not strictly follow him.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• raider91

• Ziggy Stardust

• Link of Hyrule

• Bella-Angelique

Do to others what you would have others do to you if you were them.

That is all of it. There is really no more than that, because eveything else comes from this.

Like:

If you were evil how would you wish someone to restrain and control you to keep you from harming others.

If you were good how would you wish someone to reward and encourage you to keep doing more.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Understand that once you are aware of them some are much more likely to try to mess with your head to confuse you, because just like us they have both good and evil among them.

Knowing that there is only ever one truth even though there are many perceptions of it helps with this, and knowing that truth is what is at the core essence of what we call God.

Edited by Bella-Angelique

Why would any man-made symbol have power, socrates? Why would one be worthy or unworthy to wear a crucifix? I mean, I can understand wearing one as a form of remembrance or respect, perhaps. But an object is an object and has no intrinsic power of its own. I'd probably go as far as to say that asking - "am I worthy to wear it/approach it/engage with it" comes very close to idoloizing the object.

I believe there is a spirit realm out there somewhere, beyond our natural understandings, and I believe there are some out there who are attuned to this realm and can (to varying degrees) see, and perhaps interact with, that world.

I'm just asking questions to consider :tu:

Regards, PA

All paranormal stuff, have nothing to do with god's existence ..

I'm an atheist, and i also believe in Paranormal ...

Existing of paranormal stuff, doesnt prove or disprove god's existence.

Something inside is guiding you and allowing you to ask questions. Your belief in God is a terrific foundation. None of us are perfect. Just the idea that you might like to wear a crucifix must mean it has some wonderful symbolism for you. If you want to wear one, do so. Pick one out that stands out to you. Mine was given to me and haven't seen one like it. Black with tiny gold and rose gold roses. You used the word worthy, just thought I would point that out. Only by asking for forgiveness are we worthy. Sadly, the word religious has become to mean some negative things. Is believing in God a terrible thing? Take it slow, try to keep an open mind, and let whatever it is guiding you keep doing so. That way when it finally comes to an answer you know it will be the right one and not someone nudging you. Hope this helps. :blush:

Edited by RollingThunder06

Something inside is guiding you and allowing you to ask questions. Your belief in God is a terrific foundation. None of us are perfect. Just the idea that you might like to wear a crucifix must mean it has some wonderful symbolism for you. If you want to wear one, do so. Pick one out that stands out to you. Mine was given to me and haven't seen one like it. Black with tiny gold and rose gold roses. You used the word worthy, just thought I would point that out. Only by asking for forgiveness are we worthy. Sadly, the word religious has become to mean some negative things. Is believing in God a terrible thing? Take it slow, try to keep an open mind, and let whatever it is guiding you keep doing so. That way when it finally comes to an answer you know it will be the right one and not someone nudging you. Hope this helps. :blush:

That's extremely helpful. Thanks alot :)

my opinion is that God is leading you to him slowly by showing you this.You can believe in God and still not be a christian. Religion seperates this one thing in to so many ways it gets confusing. I believe God is showing you this because he wants to build a better relationship with you. You should probably try reading the bible to see if that helps any.Ill pray for you. :D:innocent:

my opinion is that God is leading you to him slowly by showing you this.You can believe in God and still not be a christian. Religion seperates this one thing in to so many ways it gets confusing. I believe God is showing you this because he wants to build a better relationship with you. You should probably try reading the bible to see if that helps any.Ill pray for you. :D:innocent:

I can't help but wonder - If god wants me to follow him why doesn't he somehow validate this, by atleast appearing to me in a dream? But I suppose that's what faith is all about - it is placed on a basis which appears to be nothing, which is what makes it so powerful. It's just... This physical world in which we live seems too real and rigid... It's so hard to imagine god's influence on it, because the reality of our society is so vivid. If I had some kind of proof I would follow him for sure, but there's still a shred of doubt in my mind, because he has ever made himself known to me. Atleast not in a way that I have noticed. It feels awkward when I pray, because I'm not sure who I'm praying too. How can I strengthen my belief in him?

I would consider you an 'Agnostic' you believe there is something out there but there is always that possibility there is nothing at all. A man made necklace does not make you religious, and who is to say you are not "worthy" of wearing this necklace? It says in the bible that our purpose is to tell everyone about God until the ends of the earth...

well about the whole crucifix necklace if you wore it no one should say you're "unworthy" ! good thing is you are allowing yourself to ask questions about God. some people do wear the crucifix necklace for appearance, but they not understand it either. sometimes i wonder why im not getting a big sign from God, but i have to realize things take time. and taking time to realize the little things in life can make a difference like the fact that even though we do doubt God at times and forget things, he's gracious enough to even allow us another chance to follow Him! the Bible is a good reference b/c it's God's holy word.

if this is confusing im real sorry but u hoped this could maybe help some one! :)

For years I was an Athiest, believing only in science.

After I began astral travelling I realised the existence of a non-physical realm and non-physical entities - I realised the existence of a metaphysical world seperate from this one.

Now I wonder - what's to stop a supreme entity- known as god, from controlling this metaphysical realm and perhaps subtly influencing the physical world and it's inhabitants.

I also believe in angels. So I have the foundations on which I can build a religious philosophy, however - I have never thought much of the bible, and I have never agreed with christian ideals such as 'if you do not follow god you will burn in hell.'

Am I religious or what? If I was to buy a crucifix and wear it around my kneck, would I be worthy of doing so? I believe in god, but do not strictly follow him.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Whatever we imagine god to be, it will inevitably be inaccurate. Being human, by our limited perception, however we picture the divine, will be a mirror of our own limited conciousness. We cannot imagine the incomprehensible, so we give it a face, a frame, rules, according to our personality, culture, generation.

To me, the universe is divinity and creation in one & inseparable. Imagine a huge sphere, filled with stars, planets, sky, earth, animals, plants, people, you, your cells, atoms.... The divine is the sphere and what's in it at the same time. Like you are your body, your bones, your liver, heart & kidneys, etc...

The Divine is beyond our human values. There is no God looking down on us, judging us by our actions, whether we are good, or bad, worthy or unworthy. No Heaven & Hell; no eternal damnation; no right or wrong. How can creation deem unworthy what it is itself? The Divine is all there is, and all there is is divine. Everything is permeated by it, interwoven, inseparable. Creation loved you before you even existed. The reason why we are here is to experience, love and learn; to become and understand everything there is, and return to the sacred womb from which we came .

It is not a question for the divine to manifest itself, it is there all around and in you; it is more a question of you opening yourself to the divine. The word religion comes from latin re-ligio and means literally back to the roots (-ligio comes from lignum=wood), metaphorically, it means return to our origins, our inherent knowledge of our connectedness to the divine.

But all religions try to express one reality. When I was little, My Mum once explained it to me like that: Imagine God to be a well, streaming into a lake. All people of the earth will go and fetch water from it. Some will use an earthen dish, some a cup, some a gourd, some a wooden bowl. The different vessels they use are the different religions they believe in; but the water they drink remains always the same...

Edited by QueenOftheCramped

I can't help but wonder - If god wants me to follow him why doesn't he somehow validate this, by atleast appearing to me in a dream? But I suppose that's what faith is all about - it is placed on a basis which appears to be nothing, which is what makes it so powerful. It's just... This physical world in which we live seems too real and rigid... It's so hard to imagine god's influence on it, because the reality of our society is so vivid. If I had some kind of proof I would follow him for sure, but there's still a shred of doubt in my mind, because he has ever made himself known to me. Atleast not in a way that I have noticed. It feels awkward when I pray, because I'm not sure who I'm praying too. How can I strengthen my belief in him?

this is one reason you can not actually "see" God.God is talking to Moses here.

19 And the LORD said, "I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the LORD, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 20 But," he said, "you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live."

Acts 2:17,

" 'In the last days, God says,

I will pour out my Spirit on all people.

Your sons and daughters will prophesy,

your young men will see visions,

your old men will dream dreams.

Genesis 40:1-23

1 Some time later, the cupbearer and the baker of the king of Egypt offended their master, the king of Egypt. 2 Pharaoh was angry with his two officials, the chief cupbearer and the chief baker, 3 and put them in custody in the house of the captain of the guard, in the same prison where Joseph was confined. 4 The captain of the guard assigned them to Joseph, and he attended them.

After they had been in custody for some time, 5 each of the two men—the cupbearer and the baker of the king of Egypt, who were being held in prison—had a dream the same night, and each dream had a meaning of its own.

6 When Joseph came to them the next morning, he saw that they were dejected. 7 So he asked Pharaoh's officials who were in custody with him in his master's house, "Why are your faces so sad today?"

8 "We both had dreams," they answered, "but there is no one to interpret them."

Then Joseph said to them, "Do not interpretations belong to God? Tell me your dreams."

9 So the chief cupbearer told Joseph his dream. He said to him, "In my dream I saw a vine in front of me, 10 and on the vine were three branches. As soon as it budded, it blossomed, and its clusters ripened into grapes. 11 Pharaoh's cup was in my hand, and I took the grapes, squeezed them into Pharaoh's cup and put the cup in his hand."

12 "This is what it means," Joseph said to him. "The three branches are three days. 13 Within three days Pharaoh will lift up your head and restore you to your position, and you will put Pharaoh's cup in his hand, just as you used to do when you were his cupbearer. 14 But when all goes well with you, remember me and show me kindness; mention me to Pharaoh and get me out of this prison. 15 For I was forcibly carried off from the land of the Hebrews, and even here I have done nothing to deserve being put in a dungeon."

16 When the chief baker saw that Joseph had given a favorable interpretation, he said to Joseph, "I too had a dream: On my head were three baskets of bread. [a] 17 In the top basket were all kinds of baked goods for Pharaoh, but the birds were eating them out of the basket on my head."

18 "This is what it means," Joseph said. "The three baskets are three days. 19 Within three days Pharaoh will lift off your head and hang you on a tree. And the birds will eat away your flesh."

20 Now the third day was Pharaoh's birthday, and he gave a feast for all his officials. He lifted up the heads of the chief cupbearer and the chief baker in the presence of his officials: 21 He restored the chief cupbearer to his position, so that he once again put the cup into Pharaoh's hand, 22 but he hanged [c] the chief baker, just as Joseph had said to them in his interpretation.

23 The chief cupbearer, however, did not remember Joseph; he forgot him.

God shows things through dreams.I'm not asking you to go to church or to pretend like you know all about God, just keep praying and God will show you what you need to know through time. It would also help reading through the bible. :)

there are many verses about dreams and visions if you need help finding them just ask.