Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

where does satan dwell?

raider91

I know Satan is in Hell burning and everything,but where is Hell? I'd love to have that answered. Does he live in the middle of the Earth, the Sun, another planet, another universe, where? :devil:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• raider91

• draconic chronicler

• jagerthorn

• 67thbook

Why ask the question when he's quite obviously sitting right there at the end of your post?

laugh out loud

Think if anyone knew they'd go visit him already?

Maybe he only dwells in the imagination?

Satan exists wherever god does. My best guess is "in the hearts of Men" (without meaning to be sexist about it) If god as an independent entity lives elsewhere, then Satan exists very close to him. Hell, as most people visualise it is not a biblical concept nor supported by biblical text. It probably came from an amalgam of "pagan " religions ( I think the word Hel Is an old norse concept) It certainly was introduced by the early Catholic church who did not seem to feel that the original biblical reward/punishment system was enough to keep believers in line. There is a lot of theological and metaphysical discussion about the use of God and satan as extreme metaphors, for extremes of good and evil. This leads to debate about whether extreme examples of opposites are actually very close to the same thing. In another metaphorical sense, Satan/lucifer was a fallen angel, a creature of light, with many of the same qualities as god, who exercised "his" god given right of choice to take a different path. Mankind has demonised him more than the original story, and he has become the scapegoat for many human failings, just as Jesus has become the symbol of our salvation from these failings.

IMO, Satan exists. But hell does not exist, except in the sense that Hell is really just a hole in the ground (a grave). SO next time you vist your grandparents graves, well, they are in hell. We are all destined for hell, unless we get cremated instead. Ironic, huh - in order to avoid hell, one must be put into a fiery furnace........ :devil:

So where is Satan? He's around somewhere, on the prowl to entice people into disobedience of God. The most tangible place to consider would be that he is in our hearts and our minds.

Regards, PA

Satan dwells in Dante Alighieri's very fertile imagination. And in those minds of people obsessed with him. (Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, etc.)

yes , satan actually used to be a follower of God until he thought he could take Gods place and was cast out of Heaven.

yes , satan actually used to be a follower of God until he thought he could take Gods place and was cast out of Heaven.

That is part of a later Christian mythology that does not appear in the only scriptures Jesus endorsed. In the Old Testment, and implied in the New Testament by Jesus, Satan is one of the "Sons of God", and "Lord of the Earth" who reports the inequities of mankind to God, and is sometimes sent to inflict punishment. There is no rebellion of fallen angels in the Bible, nor is the serpent of Eden identified with Satan until pagan Greek converts added this to the New Testament.

The punishing Hell of modern Christian mythology ruled by Satan was invented by the Medieval author Dante. Before his book, Hell was recognized as the belly of heavenly seraph-dragons as recounted in the apocolypse of Baruch, and other early Christian literature and art. This is why virtually every Pre-Dante Cathedral in Europe portrays the damned being herded into the gaping mouth of a dragon. And according to these scriptures these dragons normally reside in heaven, and only sent to earth to conduct heavenly retribution, like the future exterminination of one third of the human race.

The original Satan was never a fallen angel named lucifer, this is more of the later Christiain mythology. Nothing in the Bible claims he was ever an angel, the only description is a dragon or serpent, and we know the highest heavenly creatures are the Seraphim which means fiery flying serpent in Hebrew.

So if we accept the premise that the God of the Bible is the real creator entity and the Old testament books are divinely inspired, then Satan is a winged reptilian that appears in many ancient cultures and popularly referred to as a "Dragon". Perhaps he may still dwell on the Earth, and perhaps sightings of long necked cryptic animals in remote places like the congo are of this "dragon". Most of the other Seraph-dragons would dwell in heaven. As the Apocolypese of Baruch states, and as seen in much ancient Christian iconography, these dragons consume the souls of the wicked, obliterating them foerever.

So back to the original question, Satan and the other Seraph-dragons do not dwell in Hell, they literally ARE Hell.

Satan was not mentioned as a cherub.

EZEKIEL 28:12-19. says that he was the gaurdian cherub in eden.So he was a cherub. God also explains Hell very well Satan cant BE Hell because he is not a lake of fire or the pit of where you will here knashing of teeth. He is Satan which means slanderer who tempts, acusses, and deceives.

Satan was not mentioned as a cherub.

EZEKIEL 28:12-19. says that he was the gaurdian cherub in eden.So he was a cherub. God also explains Hell very well Satan cant BE Hell because he is not a lake of fire or the pit of where you will here knashing of teeth. He is Satan which means slanderer who tempts, acusses, and deceives.

Ummm, God didn't say his obedient "Son" (called a son of God in the book of Job), was going to be imprisoned in an abyss and later put into a lake of fire. An unkown writer who some claim to be the apostle John said that. And he copied it verbatim from an earlier Perisan legend about a pagan god named Ahurga Mazda who was good, bound and cast into an abyss a dragon who was evil. And later the dragon escapes the abyss and is finally throne into a fiery lake of molten metal. If this story sound familar, it should because John just changed the names of the Dragon and God. So somehow, I don't believe God's appointed "Lord of this World" is very worried about somebody plagiarizing a Persian fairy tale about a wicked dragon hundreds of years before Jesus was born, and believe it is going to happen to him. And how stupid is it to believe if it all came true and he ended up getting wrapped in chains by an angel and thrown into an abyss, he would have to be a pretty stupid dragon to continue p***ing God off enough to get thown into a Lake of Fire, even a lake of fire copied from a persian fairy tale.

Here's the bottom line: Jesus never authenticated the New Testament - these books were written after he was gone. BUT Jesus did endorse as the word of God the Holy Torah and other books of the Old Testament. And guess what? There are no devils in those scriptures, and Satan is an obedient, trusted servant of God, and this is long after the Garden of Eden, suggesting the New Testament was also wrong about Satan being the serpent in the Garden.

So who are you going to believe: Jesus and the Old Testament scriptures he said were true, or a strange revelation with many elements copied from Pagan persian fairytales that were suppposed to happen 1900 years ago, but didn't? You really can't have it both ways.

I agree with you you have good "points". Yes he does or did follow God and was known as his most beautiful angel, but thats why Satan was sent to Hell, "FOR BEING STUPID". He thought he was better than God and tried to take his place, and he was cast out of Heaven. He tries again to overpower God and fails and for that is sent into the lake of burning sulfur day and night for eternity.And thats like a hobby for Satan"being stupid" and always thinking he came overthrow God. :D

I agree with you you have good "points". Yes he does or did follow God and was known as his most beautiful angel, but thats why Satan was sent to Hell, "FOR BEING STUPID". He thought he was better than God and tried to take his place, and he was cast out of Heaven. He tries again to overpower God and fails and for that is sent into the lake of burning sulfur day and night for eternity.And thats like a hobby for Satan"being stupid" and always thinking he came overthrow God. :D

Where is this written?

I agree with you you have good "points". Yes he does or did follow God and was known as his most beautiful angel, but thats why Satan was sent to Hell, "FOR BEING STUPID". He thought he was better than God and tried to take his place, and he was cast out of Heaven. He tries again to overpower God and fails and for that is sent into the lake of burning sulfur day and night for eternity.And thats like a hobby for Satan"being stupid" and always thinking he came overthrow God.

Where is this written?

Satan thinking he could overtake God is in Ezekiel 28:11-19.

Satan being thrown into lake of burning sulfur is Revelation 20:7-10

hope that helps :D

Edited by raider91

I agree with you you have good "points". Yes he does or did follow God and was known as his most beautiful angel, but thats why Satan was sent to Hell, "FOR BEING STUPID". He thought he was better than God and tried to take his place, and he was cast out of Heaven. He tries again to overpower God and fails and for that is sent into the lake of burning sulfur day and night for eternity.And thats like a hobby for Satan"being stupid" and always thinking he came overthrow God.

Satan thinking he could overtake God is in Ezekiel 28:11-19.

Satan being thrown into lake of burning sulfur is Revelation 20:7-10

hope that helps :D

No it doesn't help.

Ezekiel is not talking about Satan, he is talking about the King of Babylon. Show me the word Satan in that passage.

The Revelation passage is copied verbatim from a much older Persian myth. The Persian dragon gets bound and cast into an abyss, later escapes and is thrown into the lake of fire. This was written hundreds of years earlier than the book of Revelation.john. The Revelation writer just changed the names of the dragon and the angel.

There is no fiery hell in the Bible which Jesus endorsed (Old Testament). They lake of fire was also stolen from Perisan Mythology. "Hell" is stolen from Greek Hades. Satan doesn't dwell there until Dante added that in Medieval times.

I will say it again. The Bible never says Satan is an angel. Cherubs are guardian dragons. They are found in Eden. They are also found in most of the worlds other religions that happen to have Sacred Trees. A dragon surrounds the Norse tree of life, a dragon guards the golden fleece of immortality hangin in a tree in Greece. In the oldest story of all, long before the Bible story, a dragon guards the sacred trees and offers immortality to Adape, who would later be known as Adam. This original version was written down at least 1500 years before the one in the Bible, and in those 1500 years, the story got mixed up and the good dragon because the evil serpent. This is a matter of historical record. The Hebrews changed the story, but never identified the serpent in Eden as Satan, becasue the real Satan in the bible is an obedient servant and Son of God in the Book of Job (and Jesus endorsed these hebrew Scriptures).

After Jesus ascended, his followers were trying to come up with a religion suitable to pagan greeks and romans, so decided there should be a bad God or entity to explain why bad things happen. They thought the Satan of the book of Job was the best choice, even though nothing in the Bible said he rebelled against God. Then they decided Satan was the serpent in the Garden of Eden even though the Hebrews never believed it.

Basically you have a bunch of pagans with little knowledge about the original Hebrew scriptures, trying to make a new religion based on this religion with enough pagan beliefs thrown in to make it acceptable to the pagan converts. This is the only reason there is an evil Satan. He is nowhere in the only scriptures Jesus endorsed.

In IInd Samual and Psalms, God is riding on the back of a huge fire breathing Cherub. Now does that sound like an Angel to you? Whenever this scene is reproduced in ancient Christian art, the Cherub is a dragon.

You see, these ancient theologians and scholars know more about the bible than the modern Christian mythology you were taught in Sunday School.

Edited by draconic chronicler

yes i know ,Chapters 1 and 10 of the book of Ezekiel describe the "four living creatures" (Ezekiel 1:5) as the same beings as the cherubim (Ezekiel 10). Each had four faces-that of a man, a lion, an ox, and an eagle (Ezekiel 1:10; also 10:14) - and each had four wings. In their appearance, the cherubim "had the likeness of a man" (Ezekiel 1:5). These cherubim used two of their wings for flying and the other two for covering their bodies (Ezekiel 1:6,11,23). Under their wings the cherubim appeared to have the form, or likeness, of a man's hand (Ezekiel 1:8; 10:7-8,21). Cherubs were made to praise the Lord.

Also if there is no bad Satan that would have to mean youre saying God is doing all these bad things to us.

P.S- i wasnt saying hope that helps to you. the two bible scriptures were for someone else.

Edited by raider91

Perhaps Satan is just a simple abbreviation for everything tempting and evil? The dark path and the supposable 'evil and animalistic' side of man in which we should never tread.

Maybe he isn't a spiritual entity, as most of us picture him ;).

well then youre saying God is the one behind the Evil. I would have to think if not satan, there must be someone evil behind all of this.

well then youre saying God is the one behind the Evil. I would have to think if not satan, there must be someone evil behind all of this.

Which wouldn't impress me one bit. To me, God intended Satan to be like he is.

Perhaps Satan is the ultimate test of life, and if we deny him we can prove our so called 'perfection' to God and show him that we can do good, and that we don't sin (which is nearly impossible, sad to say).

Job 1:6 And there was a day when the sons of the gods came together before the Lord, and the Satan came with them.

Job 1:7 And the Lord said to the Satan, Where do you come from? And the Satan said in answer, From wandering this way and that on the earth, and walking about on it.

Apparently he made bail pending Judgment day, And is hoping for a re-trial, He needs as many souls as he can get on his side before that day. :devil:

Which wouldn't impress me one bit. To me, God intended Satan to be like he is.

Perhaps Satan is the ultimate test of life, and if we deny him we can prove our so called 'perfection' to God and show him that we can do good, and that we don't sin (which is nearly impossible, sad to say).

it is impossible to not sin, Jesus and God are the only ones that are perfect.We have to get through Satans tests to get to Heaven.

Job 1:6 And there was a day when the sons of the gods came together before the Lord, and the Satan came with them.

Job 1:7 And the Lord said to the Satan, Where do you come from? And the Satan said in answer, From wandering this way and that on the earth, and walking about on it.

Apparently he made bail pending Judgment day, And is hoping for a re-trial, He needs as many souls as he can get on his side before that day. :devil:

Im very glad you put this.I can now underline it in my Bible. :tu:

Raider91----Aside from your Biblical quotes falling short of exposing any devil/satan as you believe there to be, let us do away with the subtleties of modern day Biblical revisionists and quote directly from my 1976 King James- Isaiah 45:7:- “I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.” I really don't care what any post 1976 version of any Bible has to offer, and that which comes after does not affect that which was before.

To wit:- The internet age and BibleGateway.com has succumbed to modern translation whereby it states that passage per the King James as: I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and create calamity; I, the LORD, do all these things.

Interesting phraseology after all those years.

It is certain that -any Lord God, the only omnipotent, and omniscient, the creator of all, cannot have not created evil. Such a concept cannot exist without his having ordained it! No revisionist can alter that fact except to hope to do so by deceitful means via rewriting that which was already produced, in a concerted effort to undermine those who find and expose the vulnerable words of the Bible. It is no wonder that the Catholic Church wishes to revert back to that pretty much defunct language—Latin as a means of reviving her waning flock. To change course for a few decades- reinvent the translation and come up with a wholly new and improved Bible that has eliminated all the new age translation arguments against it goes a long way with young impressionable minds decades removed from the debate.

Any satan/devil character you would back is an invention of the Christian church where such an entity cannot find its roots within the Old Testament, no matter how hard you try.

As per Job, there is nothing within that book to suggest that this was speaking to the god of the Jews-to a Jew- a monotheist or a polytheist, or that it was anything but an allegorical story like those often told in past times to get a point across.