Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Holy Spirit Possession

SpiritWriter

What are your experiences in Holy Spirit Possession and or Speaking in Tongues? You may also include stories you have heard of others you are intimately acquainted with.

When I put these two together I do not mean that they need to coincide together. I believe you can "be filled" with the Holy Spirit and have a different experience all together than ONLY speaking in tongues. But I do mean some sort of "supernatural" type of experience coinciding with "spiritual rebirth", "awakening", the like, or simply Holy Spirit possession, which should be remarkably different than any other type of spirit possession I would imagine and made known to you in some way that you can describe.

Please describe any event that you think would fall under the category of Holy Spirit possession even if it has nothing at all to do with a spirit taking over your voice. I believe God performs this in different ways for different people, so whatever it is, please share!

For the tongues I do not presume either that this would happen only under the influence of Holy Spirit Possession.. So I am interested in any stories you would have about either, no matter what they may be.

For myself I experienced Holy Spirit Possession once and began singing... in English, but it was definitely another power that took over my voice. So although it was not "in another tongue" it was still similar in that the spirit used my voice. Yet another time a power came over my voice and caused me to pray... again this was in English, but it was not by my power that I was speaking so again I attribute this to Holy Ghost possession, although, again, I was not speaking "in another tongue."

My experience with "speaking in tongues", as in another tongue or spiritual language, specifically, WAS NOT authentic. I was in church one day, way back when I first became a Christian and there was an altar call to receive tongues. We stood in a line and the pastor's mother came along and laid hands on us. She said "repeat after me: abblablammbabab" and I did repeat after her. Each person in line also repeated after her and the pastor announced: "Behold all that came down to the altar can now speak in tongues."

So that was fake... but I did continue to pray speaking in "tongues" which merely got me into a ecstatic state, which I don't think is a bad thing to do, but a far cry from authentic "speaking in tongues" which would be from some sort of spirit possession, holy or otherwise I would imagine.

I have heard stories of being filled with the spirit and speaking in tongues that do actually seem spiritual which I believe because I trust the source of the story...

Please share your experiences and don't be afraid to do so!!!

Edited by SpiritWriter

I had a friend who after ceremony, began speaking in "tongue". She didn't know what she was saying, no one else no what she was saying. I made a long distance call to someone whom I thought might have an explanation. She called my friend, who started speaking in tongue to her, and the language was identified as that of the Yoruba people of W. Africa. The thought was that one of the Ifa orishas or dieties was speaking through her, as she had no familiarity with the language at all, being born & raised in Dayton, Ohio. This went on with her for 6 months; she never knew when she opened her mouth what language she'd be speaking.

• Like 1

I had a friend who after ceremony, began speaking in "tongue". She didn't know what she was saying, no one else no what she was saying. I made a long distance call to someone whom I thought might have an explanation. She called my friend, who started speaking in tongue to her, and the language was identified as that of the Yoruba people of W. Africa. The thought was that one of the Ifa orishas or dieties was speaking through her, as she had no familiarity with the language at all, being born & raised in Dayton, Ohio. This went on with her for 6 months; she never knew when she opened her mouth what language she'd be speaking.

Did anyone identify anything that she was saying by any chance.. as in translating it to know the message?

My one and only experience around others speaking in tongues was at an evening church service, years ago.

Several people were speaking in tongues at once and no one interpreted. How could anyone interpret for 6 people at one time?

For me that made this "gift" selfish and confusing. Aren't the other biblical gifts intended for the benefit of others, not just the recipient? They never even shared with the rest of us anything they had received.

My experience went even further. The entire congregation started speaking in tongues, then randomly they would all stop and only one person in the congregation would speak, then they would start up again all together then stop and another would speak, then start up again. It went for awhile.

I never asked what they were speaking about, it seemed looked a group trance to me and didn't "feel right".

Just had to add:

After the sermon, tea, coffee and biscuits were served. The group I was with were all chatting away when a middle aged man started heading our way, the reaction from one person in the group was "oh no, here comes "so and so" (I don't remember names right now) and the rest of the group were all in groaning and eye rolling mode. When he arrived and spoke it was obvious he was suffering from a mental disability, he was clearly child like but he was so happy.

I seriously cannot comprehend how a group that had just supposedly experienced nothing less than the Holy Spirit coursing through them and what was supposed to be revelation being expounded by various members throughout a considerable period of time could revert to bigotry and discrimination when one of the most needy in their congregation only needed patience and a smile from them.

Anyway, the leader of this group was prosecuted for embezzilment and fraud a couple of years later.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 4

From a 'psycho-spiritual' perspective it might be handy to look at some results of the research of Dr Wilson VanDusen and some 'psychological' syndromes *.

On the 'physical' level it is deemed possible that some people can speak in a language, with various degrees of comprehension, that had been unfamiliar with them . It is even more rare that it is a language others can identify.

The 'insistence' of being able to speak another language, that is unknown to everyone else, is a symptom of a psychotic disorder.

On the deeper psychological level, Dr VanDusen classified patient's 'hallucinations' (alternate personalities) as of 'high order' or 'low order'; these classifications came from the observation of many of the patient's 'personality hallucinations' trait's, different language was one of them.

Higher order hallucinations (the good ones) did , at times communicate knowledge the patient was unaware of including a case of foreign language - that is, while the patient was 'possesed' by a 'good personality' it could speak a language unknown to the patient, but a known language ( which one, I cant remember at the moment .... going off memory here). A bad order hallucination could be a personalty that talked gibberish and claimed it was a real language. In some cases where it appeared they knew what the patient did not, further research showed that the patient had indeed, been exposed to that knowledge in the past, in childhood, or had it lodged in the unconscious .

Good orders wanted to and did help in the patients recovery and bad orders were disruptive to recovery ( being ; the 'split personality' being re-integrated and balanced)

On a religious or spiritual level the good hallucinations would be forces related to the Holy Spirit and the bad hallucinations to that which opposes it ... however one wants to see them ( I see them as 'split' Superconscious / Id - the Id can be seen as realm that relates to 'demons' and 'devils' but 'demon' is a result of the modern 'dualistic split' of the mind ... the concept seems to have started with daimon an entirely different thing).

An interesting thing is one can test them ; the bad order hallucinations behave exactly like the mischievous demons in the medievalist popular accounts that must be bought to task in the magicians circle. They behave the same way, and strangely enough, the same rules apply to them. They are split forces from and of the personna that have an essential affinity with 'identity' so when split from the self, they try to convince others, and the patient, that they have their own identity. So they assert knowledge outside of the self of the patient ... they can trick, as they have access to the patient's unconscious ... but not outside of it - as they often claim.

Of course some people 'babel' and 'pentecostal tongue' for a variety of weird reasons that are not psychotic ... but I dont see how it helps.

If people want 'messages', from'beyond' , they seem to come better by symbol, image and vision.

* http://www.theisticp...nce_spirits.htm

• Like 1

Not sure I'm remembering this correctly, but weren't the spirits of the Goetia considered just aspects of our own psyche, that could be summoned and bound? Not only that they are supposedly a means of conveying a message to the subconscious, much like how a servitor works? I'm not sure if I'm correct on this, so feel free to correct me. I'd rather know if I'm right or wrong rather than go under an assumption.

It sounds a like like Vodoun where they would try to either get possesed by a good or bad spirit...

i think holy spirit angels etc.. are the good spirits of ancient rituals where they try to get possessed.

Like in the bible they believe when they get possessed by the good spirits

they can do miracles and magical things while the spirit is inside them..

Some people think it's your own mind doing it all..

other things it's outside super natural forces..

if it was our own mind the whole time.. then that shows are mind is more powerful

and magical than we think. If it's outside forces.. then there are other beings in other realms who have powers

and can be harnessed in our world.

I always found it interesting how some magicians say there spirits are all in your head.

And others say they make them appear to physical form and talk to them.

• Like 1

King Solomon had bound the 72 spirits of the Goatia in order to help him build his temple if I'm not mistaken. I believe there separate entities all together

• Like 1

King Solomon had bound the 72 spirits of the Goatia in order to help him build his temple if I'm not mistaken. I believe there separate entities all together

Yes he probably put those spirits to work for him to build his temple.

The magical books Key of Solomon and Goetia have always been interesting to me...

some magicians say they actually make the spirits appear in physical form..

others say it's just in their own mind...

if it's just in the mind.. then i don't think there would be a need for circles and names of God

angel Michael the Archangel to protect you from demons etc...

I guess until we have 100 proof of how this stuff works..

it will be a mystery. Or maybe only Solomon knew all the secrets to make

it all work..

• Like 1

All the different lore surrounding Solomon is astounding and fascinating.

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 3

Conserning the matter of seperate entities and entities particular to our psyche. .. I say the matter directly corrolates to one another. Yes it is a matter of the pyche (spirit) but that doesn't mean it isnt true.. or that another would not also experience the exact same phenomenon and as a matter of fact they would, or an offset of it. We are all related, have the same compounds in varying degree and cosmological make up where these forces/energies/entities exist. Not only are we individuals with our own experiences, we are components of a larger "body" who is experiencing the cumulative effect of the all. Philosophies have been creative in articulating this but we definitely can see a common thread in some experiences and that of seperate entities is one of them. I rather enjoy entertaining the "psychological" aspect of it as well. Being able to think of it and describe it in different ways has its usefulness!

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 1

What are your experiences in Holy Spirit Possession and or Speaking in Tongues? You may also include stories you have heard of others you are intimately acquainted with.

When I put these two together I do not mean that they need to coincide together. I believe you can "be filled" with the Holy Spirit and have a different experience all together than ONLY speaking in tongues. But I do mean some sort of "supernatural" type of experience coinciding with "spiritual rebirth", "awakening", the like, or simply Holy Spirit possession, which should be remarkably different than any other type of spirit possession I would imagine and made known to you in some way that you can describe.

Please describe any event that you think would fall under the category of Holy Spirit possession even if it has nothing at all to do with a spirit taking over your voice. I believe God performs this in different ways for different people, so whatever it is, please share!

For the tongues I do not presume either that this would happen only under the influence of Holy Spirit Possession.. So I am interested in any stories you would have about either, no matter what they may be.

For myself I experienced Holy Spirit Possession once and began singing... in English, but it was definitely another power that took over my voice. So although it was not "in another tongue" it was still similar in that the spirit used my voice. Yet another time a power came over my voice and caused me to pray... again this was in English, but it was not by my power that I was speaking so again I attribute this to Holy Ghost possession, although, again, I was not speaking "in another tongue."

My experience with "speaking in tongues", as in another tongue or spiritual language, specifically, WAS NOT authentic. I was in church one day, way back when I first became a Christian and there was an altar call to receive tongues. We stood in a line and the pastor's mother came along and laid hands on us. She said "repeat after me: abblablammbabab" and I did repeat after her. Each person in line also repeated after her and the pastor announced: "Behold all that came down to the altar can now speak in tongues."

So that was fake... but I did continue to pray speaking in "tongues" which merely got me into a ecstatic state, which I don't think is a bad thing to do, but a far cry from authentic "speaking in tongues" which would be from some sort of spirit possession, holy or otherwise I would imagine.

I have heard stories of being filled with the spirit and speaking in tongues that do actually seem spiritual which I believe because I trust the source of the story...

Please share your experiences and don't be afraid to do so!!!

Besides people with problems and their own subconscious memories or a multiple personality coming out their voice instead of vision. People can channel things in different way to be translated into the human perception. It's the sources way of making something a concrete reality instead of just one person hearing it , I would assume.

Some use their own voice and with some there is something else using their vmoice from the breath, I'd say something else is called the tongues, but it comes in different forms.

Whether it's our own voice within, our higher self that connects with the subconscious knowledge, it really helps to put things into to words the expand and organize all the thoughts to our conscious memory. We all do it when we work out a hard math problem or something. It helps the concentration.

Speech is a power in itself, it is an idea coming into the physical realm that's one reason Logos is the Word, it's the first in the process of creation. Different tones and patterns that connects with different forces or other people. Mantras or Divine words like Solomon lore .. part of the rites was tapping into a sound that set off kind of a magical program ANYONE could do, like a voice activated computer mechanism to the Heavens. Not all of the words were really words with any meaning attached but the just the sound and melody intoned correctly. One mistake and something else would appear hence all the circle stuff for protection.

I went to a very evangelistic type community church once with my grandmother, the place was full of the spirit as they say. They didn't plan on it but people started giving testimonies after singing at end of service. Some started speaking in tongues but others were there that knew the foreign language and it had a message directed at them, something they were praying about for help or in one embarrassing case telling a married guy to get rid of the girl on the side! This was the only time I experienced that kind of thing in a church service. I know a lot of fantical churches fake it but this just came over them and they never had happen in a service before. My grandmother was a saintly woman who went to all different denominations and I knew this congregation was different then most. They WANTED to go for the feeling,fellowship and community work not because, oh I have to go church its Sunday sort of members at all. I'm a person of vision and I saw spirits floating all around the place that night above us before and during the event. SOMETHING went into the guys who got the tongues! It wasn't A Holy Spirit but seperate ones! I didn't tell anybody but my grandma that since everyone was saying it was Jesus that went in. She told me she saw the different spirits there all the time when she went to that church too. That was a very different Christmas service for me.

The real purpose of tongues is the message or else it's a fake or maybe even a possession or multiple personality. Then again maybe some of it that we here about the "jibberish" IS the King Solomon type that people are picking up on too?

• Like 2

Not sure I'm remembering this correctly, but weren't the spirits of the Goetia considered just aspects of our own psyche, that could be summoned and bound? Not only that they are supposedly a means of conveying a message to the subconscious, much like how a servitor works? I'm not sure if I'm correct on this, so feel free to correct me. I'd rather know if I'm right or wrong rather than go under an assumption.

Its a fair assumption from the perspective of a modern person ... it depends on how far back your 'weren't' goes.

It sounds a like like Vodoun where they would try to either get possesed by a good or bad spirit...

i think holy spirit angels etc.. are the good spirits of ancient rituals where they try to get possessed.

Like in the bible they believe when they get possessed by the good spirits

they can do miracles and magical things while the spirit is inside them..

Some people think it's your own mind doing it all..

other things it's outside super natural forces..

if it was our own mind the whole time.. then that shows are mind is more powerful

and magical than we think. If it's outside forces.. then there are other beings in other realms who have powers

and can be harnessed in our world.

??? :unsure: why would anyone want to deliberately invite a 'bad spirit' into them ???

My experience with 'Voodoo' evidenced no such thing . I dont even know of any 'bad spirit' Loa .

I always found it interesting how some magicians say there spirits are all in your head.

And others say they make them appear to physical form and talk to them.

Its both .

Edited by back to earth

Yes he probably put those spirits to work for him to build his temple.

The magical books Key of Solomon and Goetia have always been interesting to me...

some magicians say they actually make the spirits appear in physical form..

others say it's just in their own mind...

if it's just in the mind.. then i don't think there would be a need for circles and names of God

angel Michael the Archangel to protect you from demons etc...

The need may not be an essential . It might help though ... or not. If one wants to practice magic, one should understand what is going on in a dynamic like this one. The Magician (or yogi or monk or ... other cultures and religions practice magical rituals, like Tibetan Buddhists ... some are very full on ones. like the Chod Rite meditations, the visualisations of corpses, etc.) should be 'riding' and in control and using the deep and compelling aspects of the psyche as his tools and vehicle. According to Jung, we have a 'religious instinct' - use it! 'Magical operations', should not be concerned with 'reality', as such.

These sort of things may protect you (or not), depending on your makeup and internal 'wiring' , just as well as a circle and 'Angel Michael' ;

chemchog.jpg

Edited by back to earth

All the different lore surrounding Solomon is astounding and fascinating.

:)

and the Queen of Sheba

The-Visit-Of-The-Queen-Of-Sheba-To-King-Solomon,-Illustration-From-Hutchinsons-History-Of-The-Nations,-Early-1900s.jpg

• Like 1

Back to Earth - Based on writings there are bad spirits in that they don't really care for humans, and if you called on one of these that didn't care for humans what are the odds that they would be hostile towards humans. I mean I can name a few off the top of my head

Djinn

Demons

and I'm sure there are plenty others that really don't care for humans.

• Like 2

Back to Earth - Based on writings there are bad spirits in that they don't really care for humans, and if you called on one of these that didn't care for humans what are the odds that they would be hostile towards humans. I mean I can name a few off the top of my head

Djinn

Demons

and I'm sure there are plenty others that really don't care for humans.

Yes .... but I dont understand the point you are making or why you are addressing me about it ?

Unless you are referring to my comments about Loa ? If you are , its equally confusing ... a Loa isnt a Demon or a Djinn , nor do they have anything to do with Voodoo .... if you follow the thread of the conversation it makes more sense than just picking out a comment and applying it out of context.

And also if you had read some posts in this thread you would see an extensive one where I outline some of the dynamics of a 'bad spirit'.

.... I mean ... we are only on page 2 here ... try reading page 1 first.

• Like 1

I think I read it from one of Crowley's works. Been quite a ways back since I read that, so long that I can't remember where it came from. I'll have to look it up again.

I've been around many who speak in tongues -- and can do it myself -- but I've not yet encountered anyone who can interpret them. The gift of tongues can be greatly misused.

Edited by J. K.

It could be a form of mania.

Epilepsy was thought to be a form of possession, before we knew the underlying cause, and Jesus didn't argue the point.

People living two thousand years ago couldn't have conceived of such a disorder.

To be truly filled with the Holy Spirit, is to be filled with the Spirit of Truth, making arguments and saying things, which you don't seem capable of understanding, either conceptually or intellectually. That's the real deal, in my experience.

Christians have thankfully generally given up on the idea of epilepsy as a form of possession. One day, speaking in tongues, may be regarded as simple mania.

Evidence of the Holy Spirit is accompanied by manifestations of power that cannot currently be explained by science.

One day we may learn that the human brain is capable of things, which we're not currently aware, and this too will be accepted as non-spiritual in origin.

However, by that time, we may also realize that there is an underlying power, which we all have access to, if we're willing to believe and cultivate it.

Edited by Raptor Witness

Yes .... but I dont understand the point you are making or why you are addressing me about it ?

Unless you are referring to my comments about Loa ? If you are , its equally confusing ... a Loa isnt a Demon or a Djinn , nor do they have anything to do with Voodoo .... if you follow the thread of the conversation it makes more sense than just picking out a comment and applying it out of context.

And also if you had read some posts in this thread you would see an extensive one where I outline some of the dynamics of a 'bad spirit'.

.... I mean ... we are only on page 2 here ... try reading page 1 first.

My fault back to earth, I was in no way trying to insult you