Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thirteen

Catrat

I just saw this movie yesterday. Just wondering what you people thought of it. Pretty amazing acting and thought and it was very mentally scary, just what happened to her, like how her innocence was completely destroyed in a matter of weeks.

Holly Hunter was amazing (as always), I admit there were some scenes that I had to turn away my head, like when Tracy (the main character) was slitting her wrists, as I am terrified of wrists. It's one of those movies that is hard to watch but you feel like you've learnt something- - a little like Requiem for a Dream but more real if that's possible.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BurnSide

• Catrat

• TheCrow

• JennRose

ive never even heard of this movie. whats it about?

405346[/snapback]

Basically a girl who is thirteen who starts off being really innocent and then meets this girl who becomes her best friend and all this bad stuff happens...

No offense or anything, Catrat, but you're terrible at making people want to see a movie. laugh.gif

Maybe a little bit more detail would attract some people?

Sounds like typical teen dribble that no one over 17 would enjoy really.

I've seen a few features about it, and it looks really powerful. It's not at all a 'teeny' film. It's seems more hardcore, like the movie Kids (NOT a feel good film), but hopefully not as disturbing.

It is more focused on Holly Hunter as she tries to be a mother to a daughter who is completely changing and turning against her. Here, I'll just post a synopsis:

"Thirteen-year-old Tracy (Evan Rachel Wood) is a good girl. She's smart, gets along with her mother (Holly Hunter) and is never any trouble. But then she befriends Evie (played by Nikki Reed, who co-wrote the movie), a gorgeous and popular classmate who teaches Tracy to let loose and introduces her to the beguiling world of sex, alcohol, drugs and self-mutilation -- much to the horror of Tracy's friends, relatives and, most of all, her mother."

courtesy of Netflix

Well that makes it sound a little better, thanks. laugh.gif

You'd think it would be a stupid teeny bop movie like Mean Girls or Cinderella Story or something but I've heard some good things about it. I haven't seen it and it's not something I think I will see but it is suppose to be quite a hard hitting, emotional, dramatic movie.

Plot: Tracy is a normal 13 year old girl who is a smart, straight A student. After befriending a new girl at school, Evie; Tracy's world is turned upside down when Evie introduces Tracy to a world of sex, drugs and petty crime. As Tracy transforms herself and her identity, her world becomes a boiling, emotional cauldron fueled by new tensions between her and her mother as well as, teachers and old friends and it isn't long before Tracy's new world and attitude finally takes a toll on her.

Meh, Jennrose beat me to it. Oh well. It also scored 80% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, a movie review stie, which is really good.

Yeah Fresh tomatoes are pretty hard to get.

Well, i stand corrected, thanks guys.

Meh, Jennrose beat me to it.

420146[/snapback]

Because I am a crazy movie fanatic. tongue.gif

No offense or anything, Catrat, but you're terrible at making people want to see a movie. laugh.gif

Maybe a little bit more detail would attract some people?

420109[/snapback]

Yeah you're right...sorry.

Haha...I can't believe I said 'and all this bad stuff happens'. But yeah it's deep and quite disturbing and emotional. I cried, but I cry a lot in movies so yeah. Holly Hunter was brilliant in it, like really good. To ry to put it into more detail it's about a completely innocent person being introduced to drugs, alcohol, sex and self-mutilation and she just grows up way too fast. I guess it does just sound like a boring, typical teen movie but to me, it was so much more than that.

I recommend it to anyone reading this.

I've never seen it but I remember when it came out a couple of years back a lot of good stuff was said about it and that it wasn't at all like the teeny bopper movie.

Ames original.gif

I hate that movie... mostly for the fact that it reminds me of what happened to me at 13. I was innocent, then started to "hang" with the wrong crowd and most of the things you see in that movie happened. I am all better now, thank god. Its a sad movie, happens much to often. crying.gif

Edited by QueenoftheNight

• 4 weeks later...

i saw that movie, and thought it was a very good one. it has great acting, and my teacher was telling me that the girl who wrote the script(the best friend) is from a town near my hometown.

I felt like a pedafile after watching this film. hmm.gif

I really like this movie. I watch it every time it's on and I think I'll buy the DVD. It's just real. It's not like most movies of its genre that show the teen characters as adults played by young actors. I'm sure the collaboration with a teen writer contributed to this. It shows these girls not only at their most scandalous, but also at their silly childish moments. Also the subplot of the mother being a rocovering drug user in a 12 step program is so realistically portrayed without being too obviopus about it or letting it overtake the main action. It just seem to tell the whole story of this group of people by just showing their lives unflinchingly, without loosing any reality by laying down backstory. There are so many parts that are brilliantly uncomfortable to watch; like when Tracy yells at her mom and shows her tongue ring "no bra no panties no bra no panties", or at the end when the mom hold Tracy so tight and Tracy seems beyond nurturing. This movie masters the delicate art of conveying so much with not a line of dialogue. It's technically great too. This movie is among a group of indipendent films shot on video, but doesn't look cheap at all. They made the video aesthetic work for them with use of great and daring lighting and camera effects. Damn I love this movie! Once I get going, i can't stop talking about it. I wanted to continue following Tracy after the movie ended to see how things would resolve, but was at the same time afraid to.