Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Male tortoiseshell cat 'genetically impossibl

Still Waters

A veterinarian has adopted a tortoiseshell cat that she claims is a "genetic impossibility" because it is male.

Male cats, like human beings, have only one X chromosome in their DNA meaning that they should be unable to inherit different colours.

The cat's new owner owner Karen Horne , 38, said: ''As a vet I can tell you that it is genetically impossible to get a male cat that is tortoiseshell coloured.

''My colleagues and I have 30 years of experience between us and we have never seen anything like this.''

Of eight million pet cats in Britain only a couple a year are born male tortoiseshells.

The eight-week-old kitten was brought into Mrs Horne's veterinary surgery in Harpenden, Herts., with his three tortoiseshell sisters by local charity Cat and Kitten Rescue.

But asMrs Horne set about vaccinating the siblings she discovered to her amazement that one was a boy.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Juupy froot

• bLu3 de 3n3rgy

• little_dreamer

• Still Waters

Top Posters In This Topic

A veterinarian has adopted a tortoiseshell cat that she claims is a "genetic impossibility" because it is male.
Then kinda funny how it's right there huh