Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Ban Christmas lists for children says charity

christmas list children charity santa

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,806 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:39 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 05 November 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

My daughter writes a letter every year to Santa..  This year, she has a list of things she wants...

1 - Chemistry set  with lab coat
2 - Doctors play set
3 - Telescope
4 - Globe light
5 - Poster / Canvas of Elvis Presley
6 - A dog that can walk and bark... A fureal friend
7 - Crayola lights art set
8 - A toy with crazy hair.... She cannot remember the name of   lol
9 - An electric car racing track..like Hot Wheels
10 - A few DVD's

She has worked hard all year and I feel she deserves what she asked for...    I see no pressure in any of it..  I have bought 5 of the items already  and my husband  is planning on getting the rest soon.. We want all got before Dec arrives ... I like to see a child get excited and look forward to Christmas.. Because I know it doesn't last long.. This time next year she may well  no longer believe in Santa..  I value it while it lasts

That is quite a substantial list, but I am really liking the fact the chemistry set went number one. This would encourage so much development of knowledge for her to have such a thing. Most of those gifts further encourage it also, like the telescope and doctors play set.

Kinda reinstated a bit of faith I have in our future generations tbh.

#17    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:49 AM

And she likes Elvis! Your daughter is awesome.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#18    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 11,852 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:27 AM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 05 November 2012 - 05:31 PM, said:

Seems Mother's union want to break families apart
Well they ARE called "Mother's Union" and not "Family Union" or "Parent's Union", there's obviously an inherent bias there.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#19    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 5,932 posts

• I might have been born yesterday
    but, I stayed up all night.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:48 AM

View Postglorybebe, on 05 November 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

When I was a kid, I never got what was on my list.  And now, being a single mother with limited income and an ex who always tries to top my gifts...I get my daughter to pick one large gift and a couple of smaller gifts.  I believe in quality not quantity.  I have thrown out too many 'gifts' that lasted one day.  I've also taught my daughter Christmas is about giving not getting.  Eventhough we are not well off, we make sure that we give to the less fortunate rather and give each other less.  This is the time to shape our children's perceptions of society.  I don't eant my daughter to be one of those gimme, gimme kids.
I made a list when I was little. Only one present, usually at the top, was the 'Santa Present'. Everything else was the small gifts we gave each other but which held the most memory. My grandparents (mom's side) always gave us socks and that (since they're long since gone) all of us have sorely missed.Last Christmas, there must have been 17 pairs of socks given out, plus a lot of laughs and remembrances.

#20    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 5,932 posts

• I might have been born yesterday
    but, I stayed up all night.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:55 AM

Added thought:

A friend's daughter burst out crying a couple years ago on Christmas morning. She was so tired of opening presents and her parents making a big deal of everything, taking pictures etc.

I think that the poor little tyke would have been happier with a box of coloured markers and a big cardboard box.

#21    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,574 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

It doesn't last forever and when your children work out what Santa really is .... well christmas is not as special as it once was  .

This strikes me as amazingly sad.  And for whomever Christmas loses its magic with Santa taken out of it... you have the wrong idea.

And I'm not talking about Jesus, although for Christians of course that should be the focus right? Christmas is generosity, giving of spirit, traditions, family, etc. It's not about getting the biggest, best or most gifts. Sad.

Embrace the impossible.

#22    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,555 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

View PostTsa-La-Gie Oyate, on 05 November 2012 - 08:43 PM, said:

Children needa learn patience and not having the "gimmes", they will not have every single thing on the Christmas toy list. We fear spoiling our children while at the same time we don't want our children to go empty handed. It's a paradox unto itself on properly raising children to independence with an emphasis of not depraving them.

When the economy is generally bad, millions of parents out of work and families are without a stable income. Children may grow up in these times on the importance of what you have isn't important, Christmas isn't originally about toys or things, the spirit of the holiday shouldn't be replaced entirely by materialism...the time of faith, family and friends are what we naturally possess and valued most.
This is not just about economy but social too. Parents nowadays seem to dishouner their children more and more now as families break up. I have seen mums and dads shout at thier children as they were neighbours that hated each other.

All children should be given presents and not mums and dads spending loads of money on themselves that will not make the child happy

#23    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

View Posttipotep, on 06 November 2012 - 12:51 AM, said:

Good stuff BM , I agree .

It doesn't last forever and when your children work out what Santa really is .... well christmas is not as special as it once was  .

I think you are talking more about  the innocence of thinking there is a Santa, writing the letter,leaving things out for him and his reindeer,  hoping to wake up and catch him etc.. will be gone, and if so, you are right, that part will be gone.. BUT  it wont stop her  or my young boy from looking forward to Christmas...  I know when I found there was no Santa.. it didn't stop me from looking forward to Christmas lol

Speaking of my baby boy.. he wont know what Christmas is for a few years yet.. I would say he would be happy with something that squeaks  and the christmas wrapper it came in   lol..

View PostOrcseeker, on 06 November 2012 - 03:39 AM, said:

That is quite a substantial list, but I am really liking the fact the chemistry set went number one. This would encourage so much development of knowledge for her to have such a thing. Most of those gifts further encourage it also, like the telescope and doctors play set.

Kinda reinstated a bit of faith I have in our future generations tbh.

Yes, her list to start with had up to 4 items on it, that is what she would usually ask for, just a few items.. She never asks for anything expensive..She is fascinated with science and wants to be a doctor...She never stops talking about the planets and how great it would be to  see other planets ..She asked for a  starter telescope.. they are not expensive,  so I said if you are good, and your report cards are good, then you will get one...  She is determined to learn more.. We get her kids science books to read that will help her on her way..   They don't teach science at her school, so we do what we can to encourage it at home.

When we told her she could add a few more items on there, she didn't believe us, because every other year  she was told only a few items....But her dad said ,you worked your backside off, and done well..You helped your mom out when little Aaron came... You are eager to learn more.. this will be the only year you can add a few more on..Due to the fact we now have the little one Aaron..when we have more kids the presents shrink..She understands ... She still thinks we are tricking her by saying you can add a few more on.. I feel good she asked for things that encourages her further..and I don't feel bad for the list.. When we added up the total cost.. it was not that expensive...and it is worth it .It's once a year and I am not going to sweat it....

View PostHasina, on 06 November 2012 - 03:49 AM, said:

And she likes Elvis! Your daughter is awesome.

She has from she was 6 yrs old..   I never understood why?  She just thinks he is the bee's knees ...I am not a fan myself though !

She got an Elvis Presley book last year.. When she opened it and saw the book, she let out a squeal with excitement..

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 06 November 2012 - 03:04 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#24    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,555 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 06 November 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

She has from she was 6 yrs old..   I never understood why?  She just thinks he is the bee's knees ...I am not a fan myself though !

She got an Elvis Presley book last year.. When she opened it and saw the book, she let out a squeal with excitement..
I was 10 when i started to listen to Elvis Songs and still do, and abba and pretty much every pre 90's bands

#25    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,730 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

I remember the 'rich' kids coming back to school bragging about what Santa brought them...I was a good girl, and Santa enver brought me what I asked for.  Let me tell you, that really hurt and added a lot of confusion.  Of course, my brother soon told me about Santa and although I was devestated, it explained why I never got what I asked for at Christmas.  Maybe that is why the Polar Express is one of my favourite Christmas shows.

But, again, I make sure my daughter gets what she asks for at Christmas, just limited.  I want her to have great memories.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#26    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:10 PM

View Postglorybebe, on 06 November 2012 - 04:25 PM, said:

I remember the 'rich' kids coming back to school bragging about what Santa brought them...I was a good girl, and Santa enver brought me what I asked for.  Let me tell you, that really hurt and added a lot of confusion.  Of course, my brother soon told me about Santa and although I was devestated, it explained why I never got what I asked for at Christmas.  Maybe that is why the Polar Express is one of my favourite Christmas shows.

But, again, I make sure my daughter gets what she asks for at Christmas, just limited.  I want her to have great memories.

I think it is lovely you will do what you can to give her great memories...  I do that too...I put what I can afford away months before Christmas allowing me to save... I buy a few presents from September  onwards.. Leaving December free with nothing more to buy..I never feel the need to rush out before Christmas ...Years before I had kids. I never would have saved, and I was usually broke come Christmas...Don't ask   lol   But having kids taught me to be more careful with money and save..

I teach my kid, that if you want nice things , you have to earn  it..  Growing up anything we wanted, we earned it.. as long as it was not overly expensive..  I have always worked hard to get the things I wanted.. My kids will do the same

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#27    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,730 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 06 November 2012 - 05:10 PM, said:

I think it is lovely you will do what you can to give her great memories...  I do that too...I put what I can afford away months before Christmas allowing me to save... I buy a few presents from September  onwards.. Leaving December free with nothing more to buy..I never feel the need to rush out before Christmas ...Years before I had kids. I never would have saved, and I was usually broke come Christmas...Don't ask   lol   But having kids taught me to be more careful with money and save..

I teach my kid, that if you want nice things , you have to earn  it..  Growing up anything we wanted, we earned it.. as long as it was not overly expensive..  I have always worked hard to get the things I wanted.. My kids will do the same

And that us what I want to instill in ny daughter.  It is really unfortunate (actually it pisses me off)  for her to come home and tell me how her friends get to go to concerts and have all the latest gadgets when I work hard for everything we get and make her do chores...and other parents say that childhood is for playing and not working.  I told her that those parents aren't doing their kids any favours, they will move out and not have a clue how to clean their house properly.

#28    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

I'm just going to give my kids coal. I'm sure that will teach them real quick. Santa sees all.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#29    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,730 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

View PostHasina, on 06 November 2012 - 06:18 PM, said:

I'm just going to give my kids coal. I'm sure that will teach them real quick. Santa sees all.

Funny that!  I was just in a store and saw chocolates that look like lumps of coal....should go get some lol

#30    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,806 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 06 November 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

Yes, her list to start with had up to 4 items on it, that is what she would usually ask for, just a few items.. She never asks for anything expensive..She is fascinated with science and wants to be a doctor...She never stops talking about the planets and how great it would be to  see other planets ..She asked for a  starter telescope.. they are not expensive,  so I said if you are good, and your report cards are good, then you will get one...  She is determined to learn more.. We get her kids science books to read that will help her on her way..   They don't teach science at her school, so we do what we can to encourage it at home.

When we told her she could add a few more items on there, she didn't believe us, because every other year  she was told only a few items....But her dad said ,you worked your backside off, and done well..You helped your mom out when little Aaron came... You are eager to learn more.. this will be the only year you can add a few more on..Due to the fact we now have the little one Aaron..when we have more kids the presents shrink..She understands ... She still thinks we are tricking her by saying you can add a few more on.. I feel good she asked for things that encourages her further..and I don't feel bad for the list.. When we added up the total cost.. it was not that expensive...and it is worth it .It's once a year and I am not going to sweat it....

I think this is a great intimidate you have implemented as parents. I am sure she will get plenty of use and learn an abundance of things from those presents. Every child should receive such a balance of learn and play every Christmas. A big *thumbs up* to your family.

Edited by Orcseeker, 06 November 2012 - 07:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users