Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Little White Lies

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 22 January 2013 - 06:53 PM, said:

Hi Everybody

I realise many people are unemployed at the moment but I'm interested in how many of you lie on your CVs and to what extent -

Do you fabricate your qualifications?
Do you fabricate your software skills?
Do you fabricate your work history?
Do you fabricate your profile description to match the firms requirements?

Have you ever made an email account, pretended to be someone else and requested a reference from a previous employer to see what they write about you?
If they no longer have you on record have you lied about your job title, responsibilities and salary knowing you wont be caught?
If the business no longer exists have you made stuff up to make yourself an ideal applicant for a position?
Have you ever got a friend or family member to pretend to be a boss so you can write out your own references?

Spill the beans!

Will Mr Right Wing finally confess?  Stay tuned  lol

As for me no..I don't see the point... too much to remember   I have it in my head that if I took a chance and lied on a CV, what if the person interviewing knows more about the qualifications you pretended to have and quizzes you?   Like IE -The college, he or she could have attended there?  You don't know what can happen     Same with job experience ..I feared them finding out one way or another... To sum up I am too chicken to do it lol

I would have trouble making up fake emails for a forum if I wanted multi ID;s, that would put my head astray, trying to remember all the different passwords.. Too much hassle... I stick with two emails, and only one of those I use and never changed ..

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#17    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,446 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 22 January 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

So you take calculated risks too to get ahead?

I figure what is the worst that could happen? :w00t:

#18    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

View PostSky Scanner, on 22 January 2013 - 08:02 PM, said:

They can't give negative references, they can only decline to give one. So how did you get one then?

Very true...   I have heard a few managers and bosses say if anyone calls for a reference  I can decline...  I was lucky to get good enough references when applying for jobs...

#19    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 22 January 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

So you take calculated risks too to get ahead?

If I know I wont get caught I lie away.

Long runs the fox... The thing about lying too much, is you wound up forgetting things you told..  Other liars can lie so much that they wound up believing in their own lies...

#20    The Sky Scanner

The Sky Scanner

Observer

• 5,374 posts

• The loud ones never last!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 22 January 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

Very true...   I have heard a few managers and bosses say if anyone calls for a reference  I can decline...  I was lucky to get good enough references when applying for jobs...

That's what I thought! Maybe there's wriggle room with certain misconduct cases though that i'm not aware of. I've worked for myself in one way or another for quite a few years so I don't really have any experience with references.

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#21    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,584 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

Nope, I have never lied on my CV or any of that stuff. I wouldn't want to start a business relationship based on lies of any sort. I'd be really unhappy or angry if my prospective employer lied to me, so I wouldn't want to do it to them.
Guess I'm just too honest to dink around with lying. I usually don't tell little white ones like my girlfriend looks good when she does not, let alone flat out lying in relation to jobs.

#22    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 22 January 2013 - 08:14 PM, said:

Long runs the fox... The thing about lying too much, is you wound up forgetting things you told..  Other liars can lie so much that they wound up believing in their own lies...

Lying about management experience is easy as I have the management qualifications (real ones from a real uni).

It isnt much lying at all. Once they see you know your stuff they place their confidence in you. Lets face it unless they have a polygraph machine in their office I'm getting away with it lol.

#23    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

View PostSky Scanner, on 22 January 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

That's what I thought! Maybe there's wriggle room with certain misconduct cases though that i'm not aware of. I've worked for myself in one way or another for quite a few years so I don't really have any experience with references.

Last place I worked checked references after they hired the people... A few got fired right away for lying / misleading the company.. If you have mainly worked for yourself you wouldn't have those worries ..

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 22 January 2013 - 09:22 PM.

#24    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 22 January 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

Lying about management experience is easy as I have the management qualifications (real ones from a real uni).

It isnt much lying at all. Once they see you know your stuff they place their confidence in you. Lets face it unless they have a polygraph machine in their office I'm getting away with it lol.

Like I said in a previous post, some place can hire you and wait a while then check for references and fire you just as fast..  B&Q do that, and I am sure many more like them

If you can get away with it, more power to you...Over here we would call you a chancer  lol

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 22 January 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#25    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 22 January 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

Like I said in a previous post, some place can hire you and wait a while then check for references and fire you just as fast..  B&Q do that, and I am sure many more like them

If you can get away with it, more power to you...Over here we would call you a chancer  lol

A chancer, I like it lol

#26    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,149 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

If you do lie about your qualifications I think they will notice if you get the job and can't do it.

#27    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 22 January 2013 - 09:27 PM, said:

A chancer, I like it lol

That's what I think when I see you knocking around   ..Mr Chancer  lol

Say Mr do right.. Let me know if you ever go on Jeremy Kyle show -  I lied on my CV's and got away with it   I don't normally get a chance to see day time TV but If you were on it, that would be funny :P

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 22 January 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#28    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Poltergeist

• 3,230 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

A lot of companies will fire you immidiately if you lie on your resume.  Mostly this is because the person falsely claims to have a college diploma.   They will start to verify every little thing if you you annoy someone in management.

I did have one job I left off my resume/CV.  I was only there for a few weeks before quitting.   It was a total nightmare job.   Now I just say I was unemployed during that time.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#29    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 22 January 2013 - 09:45 PM, said:

That's what I think when I see you knocking around   ..Mr Chancer  lol

Say Mr do right.. Let me know if you ever go on Jeremy Kyle show -  I lied on my CV's and got away with it   I don't normally get a chance to see day time TV but If you were on it, that would be funny :P

Thats for chavs lol

#30    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ

• 2,395 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 22 January 2013 - 10:27 PM, said:

Thats for chavs lol

Where do you work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users