Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dowsing

GIZZIE

Good Evening

I believe the term is dowsing.  I would like to find out as much information on this subject as possible.  A few years ago, I started dowsing, using a home made pendulum with very interesting and almost 100% accuracy.  Some people believe it is a science and can be easily explained.  However, based on my personal experience, I am not so sure.  During the period I spent dowsing, I began to have some very strange experiences such as being able to see faces which would appear in anything which would reflect.  This eventually became so scary that I stopped everything.  Incidentally, I was shown how to dowse by an extremly down to earth engineer and I remember as a child, my father showing me how to dowse for water using 2 twigs.

As I said, any information or experiences would be of great interest to me.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Magikman

• GIZZIE

• PurpleStuart

• odinsupreme

[blue]

You might want to check up on the work of the Cambridge Don T.C. Lethbridge, who did experiments and formulated theories about dowsing with pendulums. His findings, if true, are quite interesting and are based upon spirals and energies.

:s03

[/blue]

Well now Odin the Not So Supreme, I will attempt to enlighten you on the subject of dowsing but firstly, I should like to thank Loonboy for his reply - Where can I find the information you referred to?

It's difficult to explain what dowsing is to be honest, there is another term for it and I think it's called Sourcing.  There are professionals who practise the art/science to locate underground water using either 2 sticks or even a forked stick (apparently hazel wood is particularly good).  You walk around the area where you are trying to locate water and when water is present, the sticks literally jump out out of your hands.

This is just one way of dowsing; another can be by using a pendulum which rotates to give either negative or positive answers to questions posed - the results can be mind boggling uncanny and accurate and it can predict the future with 100% accuracy (depending on the questions posed and the way in which they are posed).

This is why I want to find out more about it - as I said in my post, a few years or so ago, I was using it regularly and then weird and sometimes scary things happened which makes me question whether it is a science or some kind of dabbling into something one shouldn't

I'd suggest typing "T.C. Lethbridge" into a search engine would be a good start  :)

Thank you, I will do just that - however I have a feeling that I may just have found him a year or so ago, spent hours printing off his pages and then found that it didn't help at all. I even bought a boof by a priest who practised dowsing and used it for all sorts of scientific and medical purposes but strongly advised against using it for divination purposes, stating that it would not be accurate.  I bought another book which went on and on about it being the Higher Self of Self and was totally lost and bored as it was just so pretentious.

Does anybody belonging to this site practise dowsing?  has anyone ever tried?  I believe that not everyone can do it.  It is also a very ancient practise, dating way way back (long before JC)

Sorry to disagree, but dowsing isn't 100% accurate  from what little i've seen. Wasn't there a study on it where an underwater stream was located by other means and then dowsers brought in afterwards - none of whom discovered water. Anybody else remember anymore details on this as my memory is failing me?

I'll have to drag out the details when i get a moment.

Now, i'm not saying Dowsing doesn't work - if you have a gift for it, it is something to practice and look into!

My personal theory (not that i have any proof here you understand) is it is somehow related to magnetic fields, and if that is true, it has also been theorised that strong magnetic fields can also cause the brain to 'sense' things that the viewer believes is paranormal activity.    

We are not in disagreement at all - I would consider dowsing to have the "mind and reactions" similar to a cat - you be sure as eggs are eggs that when you try to show to others that it can do something, it WON'T under any circumstances! I know it sounds a little weird, but...............I can quite understand that if a special controlled survey was set up, then sourcing would not work at all - a bit like ghosts being expected to perform at the whim of humans by posing for the camera so to speak.

However, as I know it works (for me at least) but not always (there seems to be some rule about certain categories of questions that are just not allowed). There is a Code of Conduct to be followed. Sourcing water is easy as is locating lost items, people etc and solving "mysteries" but....................and perhaps this is personal to each Dowser, if there is a hint of money, it will not work (for me).  The same for Reiki - I can make humans and animals have wonderful experiences but it has to be for free.

Thanks to your line of questioning, and because she was looking over my shoulder, i've just discovered that my girlfriend can dowse too . She's also a member of this forum (but she never posts) but i'll see if i can get her to post on this subject.  

PS,

Yes, you must convince the pixie  :sk  Man, I need a date.  :s04

Gizzie,

Dowsing is an interesting phenomena. In your situation, I would think that you opened the doors of your psychic ability a little too wide. Learning to control what comes in is a must in dealing with this.

I tried my hand a dowsing a few years ago. I was really amazed that the metal poles actually dipped on their own accord.

When we first bought our property in New Mexico we had a geologist use electronic equipment to locate water. He only found one location  that he said water could be found. Unfortunately it wasn't even inside our property line. Later, after we moved here we brought in a well driller who had a relative dowse for water. He found a number of locations on our property that he said had water. We drilled and have had a good flow of water for six years. Go figure!  :s2

Odin...to remain supreme....buy a dictionary!  :s1

Magikman, is there a pixie annihilator in our midst or is there a pixie who runs around annihilating things?

BTW...you can get dates at the grocery store. The candied ones are probably the best.  ;D

Dalia HAVING COMPUTER FUN!

BTW...you can get dates at the grocery store. The candied ones are probably the best.  ;D

Dalia,

Believe me, I've tried getting dates at the grocery store, only to be rudely rebuffed and physically assulted for my efforts.  :s04  I'm hoping for better results at the neighborhood laundrymat.  :-/

Pixieassassin is PurpleStuarts main squeeze, I was just having a little fun with her forum 'nickname'.  :D

Magikman  :sg

Magikman,

You have a date...it's in the chat room with all us other  :sk  :sf

Hurry up  :sj

Dalia

Dalia,

Sadly that's not possible while I'm at work, otherwise I would soon be looking for more than just dates.  :'(

BTW - 'candied dates' - is that another term for 'Sugar Mama?' ;D

Magikman  :sg

* - I will be on around 6:00 pm Central Time if you're still around.

I'm usually fairly succesful at dowsing with copper rods, i can art least find small items that have been lost.  Searching for water where I live though is a bit difficilt due to the amount of residual rain fall.

[blue]

Lethbridge experimented with many types of dowsing and found that pendulum dowsing was best for him. He also experimented with the length of string holding the weight and found that, when the pendulum was held over substances, the pendulum would swing if the string was at a certain length. So he concluded that substances had a vibration picked up by the pendulum.

What is interesting is that he went on to discover that certain emotions had vibration rates also.

The most fascinating thing is that his experiments led him to note that the vibrations also were configured in spirals.

Hope this helps.

[/blue]

Indeed it does help - Thank you.

Strangely enough, I can quite understand the vibrations being spiral (I can't explain why though).  Perhaps the reason why the pendulum spirals either clockwise or anti clockwise is due to the vibration picked up and likewise for the "free swinging", which is usually in a straight direction and normally means - no reply or question not posed correctly.

I also used to have a pair of dowsing rods, which when crossed over to the inside meant a "hit" or a "find" or positive reply and when turned outwards negative.  They would either gently quiver or not move at all an incorrect question was posed.

Every time, the pendulum or rods or whatever device is used, the yes and no movements must be defined.

I'm not certain about lengths of pendulum, I guess each dowser/diviner has his/her preferences.

I think it's a fascinating subject and it's interesting to see just how many different people from priests and engineers to very ordinary, but inquisitve people, like myself.

Well, I feel I should drag my self out of hiding for this...Especially since Stuart volunteered me.

I've tried dowsing with some degree of success. One time was using wire rods to follow an underground stream. it worked, but then I knew it was there, so i probably had a fair bit of subconsious influence over it. The other time have been using pendulums, each time with varing degrees of success.

(and to answer a previous question -  I'm a pixie that goes around annihilating things, usually unsuspecting chocolate bars and bottles of vodka  ;))

PIXIE!!!

So does this mean you'll be adding more pic's to your website? Huh?......does it? ::drool, drool, slobber, drool::  :sk

Magikman  :D

* - Don't let PS take the pictures, I hear his has 'orbs' all over them, thus spoiling the natural beauty of the person in the photograph.  ;)