Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Britain has deserted me.

drug smuggler bali lindsay sandiford

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

A British grandmother facing execution for smuggling drugs into Bali has criticised the Government for failing to help her legal fight to escape the firing squad.

Lindsay Sandiford, 56, was sentenced to death in January after being caught carrying 10.6lb of cocaine worth £1.6million into the holiday island from Bangkok in May last year.

A Just Giving online fund set up by supporters has raised only a third of the £8,000 she needs to take her case to Indonesia’s Supreme Court after a lower court rejected her appeal.

View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,177 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:54 PM

I could care less :no:

Did she know that what she was doing was Illegal? Did she know what the penalties in the Country are? Did she hope to make lots of money from her activities?

keep within the laws of the Country of which you are living - fairly basic advice actually. Why should the UK Taxpayer pay for the defence of a drug Mule??

#3    shrooma

shrooma

. . . . Dazed & Confused . . . .

• 3,846 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 22 April 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

I could care less :no:

[i]Did she know that what she was doing was Illegal? Did she know what the penalties in the Country are? Did she hope to make lots of money from her activities?
yes, yes, and yes.

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#4    smurf0852

smurf0852

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

she broke a law in that country and as a drug smuggler of cat a drugs she deserves it

#5    mike72

mike72

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:52 AM

She deserves what she's getting. Break the law in another country and face the consequences.

#6    dannyboy52

dannyboy52

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 114 posts

• You Can Fool Some People All Of The Time,And All Of The People Some Of The Time, But You Cant Fool All Of The People All Of The Time

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:53 AM

I dont believe in executions for criminals.Let them rot in prison till they go nuts, but no to executions.

#7    shrooma

shrooma

. . . . Dazed & Confused . . . .

• 3,846 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:19 AM

View Postdannyboy52, on 23 April 2013 - 12:53 AM, said:

I dont believe in executions for criminals.Let them rot in prison till they go nuts, but no to executions.
not even for the rape and murder of children....?

"Get off your knees, the party's over."
-How do you sleep-
The Stone Roses.

#8    Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

• Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today...
    As You don't know what tomorrow bring's.......

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:20 AM

As the saying goes

"If You cannot do the time.... dont do the crime...."

I dont agree with the death sentence, they should lock her up, killing her is a bit harsh

Posted Image

#9    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,800 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:16 AM

It's funny how here in Australia, we are expected to show sympathy and rush to help those convicted of smuggling drugs to other countries.

They are a criminal there solely for monetary gain. If they think the government of their country is going to act as a safety net they can forget it.

#10    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

View Postdannyboy52, on 23 April 2013 - 12:53 AM, said:

It doesn’t matter whether you agree with it or not, it is the law of that country.  She took the risk and was willing to live of the rewards no doubt and so she should take responsibility for her actions and suffer the consequences that risk brings when caught.

Posted Image

#11    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

• Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

I don't agree with the death penalty, but I guess that is a separate topic.  Unfortunately for her, she got caught.  And no it isn't fair that it seems people higher up the chain can bribe and get off with a much lighter sentence.  But hey, it's a risk she took and she lost out.  If she had got away with it I am sure she would have made a nice wad of cash and wouldn't have been complaining!  I've never been to the place but am aware of the strict penalities for drug smuggling.  So I am very sure she was aware of the risks if she was caught.

And I think it is totally right that she should pay for her own defense.

#12    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,885 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

In the article it said she cooperated with police which lead to four other suspects arrested yet none of them got the death penalty. Does that seem fair to anyone?

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#13    dannyboy52

dannyboy52

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 114 posts

• You Can Fool Some People All Of The Time,And All Of The People Some Of The Time, But You Cant Fool All Of The People All Of The Time

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:23 AM

[

View Postshrooma, on 23 April 2013 - 01:19 AM, said:

not even for the rape and murder of children....?
]I used to think that I personally could/would kill anyone who abused or killed  any of my children, but I now think  that I couldn't live with myself for taking another human being's life, no matter what the circumstances. I abhor anyone who abuses children in any shape or form,and I am sure there are enough criminals in jail who can dish out just revenge from within, but no to killing another person. I personally saw enough killing in different circumstances in a different time era.

#14    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,610 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:10 AM

I don't find this topic unrelated to the issue of capital punishment.

The death penalty for drugs is unreasonable but the death penalty itself is something we as a species will outgrow, and all pressure should be given in that effort.

The societies which have already abolished it are shining lights and hope for the whole world. Britain and Europe in general should at least pressure Bali over the topic, even if not this specific case but that in itself would make an excellent touchstone.

In time Bali and even my own society will grow beyond this. Prayers to her.

#15    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

• 6,293 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 24 April 2013 - 05:10 AM, said:

I don't find this topic unrelated to the issue of capital punishment.

The death penalty for drugs is unreasonable but the death penalty itself is something we as a species will outgrow, and all pressure should be given in that effort.

The societies which have already abolished it are shining lights and hope for the whole world. Britain and Europe in general should at least pressure Bali over the topic, even if not this specific case but that in itself would make an excellent touchstone.

In time Bali and even my own society will grow beyond this. Prayers to her.

Forcing your beliefs on another country is just wrong. It’s their laws and their rights, they probably feel the same about countries that don’t have the death penalty, and they should force their beliefs onto us.

Their beliefs are equally right to them as ours our to us.. do what makes yours more acceptable?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users