Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Do movies influence UFO sightings ?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#31    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,529 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

I had to leave the theater during "Jaws". I was eight, but still.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#32    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,558 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 03 April 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

I had to leave the theater during "Jaws". I was eight, but still.

hehehe :w00t:   Yeh and still to this day, whenever I go swimming in the 'real sea'... in whatever country, even the UK, JAWS is on my mind.  I used to fearlessly swim about, never a care in the world... but jaws changed the whole game for me, and countless others. Just glad I dont live in OZ...

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#33    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,090 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

Of course they do, it's what started the whole thing off.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#34    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:35 AM

View Postitsnotoutthere, on 03 April 2013 - 09:39 PM, said:

Of course they do, it's what started the whole thing off.

I thought also that the newspaper report of Roswell and its "flying discs" probably got everyone going as well. It may be a bit like Foxx Mulder's poster in the X-Files, the one that says "I want to believe", and that too will color one's perception.

BTW, does you location of "a green a pleasant land" come from Blake's poem?

#35    chopmo

chopmo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

• aaaah rabble rabble rabble rabble

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:37 AM

ROFL seeder, you are right to fear our waters. :P

Mind you I hate the bloody ocean because salt water makes me feel sticky and bleh, I have slipped up a few times and been careless. Swam on the beach at sunrise just after the trawlers go into dock (and drop the blood and guts along the way) in a renown place for sharks... big night previously didn't even think twice untill I got home and went HOLY ****ING BAT FLIPPING MONKEYS!

Second time was snorkling by myself and seen a 1.5m (approx.) reef shark about 20-50m (don't know what the water visibility was that day but it looked a fair bit back on the brink of being able to see it) away from me, looked down at the coral then looked back up and it was gone. TBH I'm more worried about Crocodiles.

Blackwater and Rogue did not help with that fear haha. I had seen the inspiring crocodile's (there's about 8 BIGBOY! crocs I have seen in my time but undoubtly hundreds more) photos from the NT, they weren't having a pull when the sized the croc for the movie. Most screwed up thing about them is, Reef/Ocean/Fresh Water/Salt Water/Estury they will go anywhere if they want to.

Movies intrigue the mind of reality and tend to warp general thoughts. Over conciousness of fear is what really let's the boogie man in. We live normally with the fact the we could all die at any given moment because some idiot presses a red button. Bred to be insensitive on the important things which leads to an oversensitive "ground based fear".

Still f* spiders.

#36    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,401 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:38 AM

I just remember those Flying Monkeys in the Orig,Oz ! Wow ! I didnt sleep for weeks !
And then as a grown man Alien just about did me in for chest pains ! :tu:
justDONTEATUS !

This is a Work in Progress!

#37    AlienDan

AlienDan

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:40 AM

Of course they do. More people will be looking for UFOs, more people will be inspired to hoax UFOs, more people will think random objects in the skies are UFOs.

Posted Image

Same psychology applies to other types of movies. Normally you wouldnt be to scared to walk around in your house during the night, but after watching a ghost or horror movie, I bet you'll think about it more.

Edited by AlienDan, 04 April 2013 - 02:42 AM.

#38    Chosen Undead

Chosen Undead

I'm not a Mutant.

• 1,564 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:20 AM

View PostSweetpumper, on 03 April 2013 - 08:48 PM, said:

I don't remember too many people seeing dinosaurs after Jurassic Park came out.
Dinosaurs and UFOs, brilliant logic, yeah, the exact same thing.

#39    Chosen Undead

Chosen Undead

I'm not a Mutant.

• 1,564 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

View PostThe Skater Boy, on 03 April 2013 - 08:41 PM, said:

As far as the topic question goes, I don't think movies have much influence on sightings/experiences at all. Well, perhaps on the attention seekers of the world who crave a spotlight, but for the majority of folk? Nah.

Do you really think so? really? they don't have much influence?

After people are exposed to the UFO phenomenon through movies or pop culture, they're more likely to attribute any weird occurrence in the sky to them.

#40    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,558 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

View PostSpace_Jockey, on 05 April 2013 - 08:23 AM, said:

Do you really think so? really? they don't have much influence?

After people are exposed to the UFO phenomenon through movies or pop culture, they're more likely to attribute any weird occurrence in the sky to them.

and before sci fi movies, heck before TV, there wasnt so much talk of ufo's or aliens, at all. It has to a large extent...exploded since we all got TV and the associated media played on it. A larger increase in  ET/UFO phenomena took place at a similar time as the space race was on, first trip to the moon and all that, it opened peoples imaginations and made them think of space more

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#41    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,229 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

View Postseeder, on 03 April 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

I also think a very telling thing is this: Most early abduction reports for example, have the person recount stories of the insides of craft having levers.. maybe a few buttons. A bit like the old Flash Gordon type ships.... which is funny really, because WE used levers and buttons in the similar period. But now, most equipment we have is screens/monitors, keyboards and mice, OK we are moving more and more into touch screens and voice commands, holograms etc, and we are hardly very advanced even now.

I'm not so sure.   It's possible that we are the most "advanced" creatures there are.   I understand in the context of talking about aliens crossing billions of miles to get here, we seem to be behind.   We may have the best tech out there.

#42    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,478 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

View Postseeder, on 05 April 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

and before sci fi movies, heck before TV, there wasnt so much talk of ufo's or aliens, at all. It has to a large extent...exploded since we all got TV and the associated media played on it. A larger increase in  ET/UFO phenomena took place at a similar time as the space race was on, first trip to the moon and all that, it opened peoples imaginations and made them think of space more

Before TV odd happenings were often attributed to wee folk or held some religious significance or some other rather Earthly explanation. It hasn't always been about aliens from space, that is a relatively new development.

Edited by Slave2Fate, 05 April 2013 - 02:05 PM.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#43    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,229 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

View PostThe Skater Boy, on 03 April 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

Define "real evidence".
I think "real evidence is self-defined.

#44    spayneuter

spayneuter

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 132 posts

• Live Long And Prosper.
    Please spay and neuter.

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:13 PM

Yes.

What a man dwells on, he becomes.

#45    Esoteric Toad

Esoteric Toad

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

• Where does one get certified as an "Ancient Astronaut Theorist" or "Cryptozoologist"?

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 03 April 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

Apparently a picture posted to the internet from a camera that has multi-mega pixel capabilities would be real evidence. Right?
It would be better than anecdotal stories and blurry blobs. Imagine a craft being photographed clearly from multiple locations.

Think Russian meteor. While it may not prove definitively that it is an alien space ship it would certainly go a long way to prevent the usual "could be anything" response.

Also keep in mind the evidence required by us evil skeptics varies just as it does for those that believe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users