Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Wendigo

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    cryptidexpert100

cryptidexpert100

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

Is wendigo part of native american culture? i was reading pet sematary and i am pretty sure they made that connection i just wanted to double check, not that i doubt stephen king's knowledge i just wanted to make sure

#2    oklahomaosage

oklahomaosage

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

first of all never have read that book but maybe this will help you. the wendigo is a creature that appears in legends of the algonquian people of north america. there are many variants of the wendigo, ranging from that of a human owl to that of bigfoot. in almost all tribes of the algonquian people it is thought of as a malevolent, cannibalistic creature. it serves as a waring to those that indulged in cannibalism. I believe that the ojibwe, saulteaux, cree, naskapi and the innu tribes also associated the wendigo with the winter, north, coldness, famine, gluttony, greed, and excess. the wendigo for those tribes also served as a method of encouraging cooperation and moderation. over all the wendigo is not a friendly creature, one that a person would not want to encounter in a dark ally lol. hope this helps explain things.

#3    cryptidexpert100

cryptidexpert100

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

tht does help but really should read tht book its rly good

#4    oklahomaosage

oklahomaosage

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

think I will when I have the chance

#5    Dracos Nightwolf

Dracos Nightwolf

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:37 AM

How I was told of it first from my aunt (who lived on the white earth ojibwe-suix res) was that it (a wendigo) was a normal person (usually a male, very rarely a female) who was consumed by the "wendigo spirit". It was that act of possession that caused the victim to turn into the windigo that the stories are made of...

#6    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,782 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

View Postoklahomaosage, on 24 February 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

first of all never have read that book but maybe this will help you. the wendigo is a creature that appears in legends of the algonquian people of north america. there are many variants of the wendigo, ranging from that of a human owl to that of bigfoot. in almost all tribes of the algonquian people it is thought of as a malevolent, cannibalistic creature. it serves as a waring to those that indulged in cannibalism. I believe that the ojibwe, saulteaux, cree, naskapi and the innu tribes also associated the wendigo with the winter, north, coldness, famine, gluttony, greed, and excess. the wendigo for those tribes also served as a method of encouraging cooperation and moderation. over all the wendigo is not a friendly creature, one that a person would not want to encounter in a dark ally lol. hope this helps explain things.
This is a pretty good summery of what I've heard. I think the most common description of the Wendigo, is basically a cannibalistic spirit that possesses someone who eats human flesh.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#7    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

Iv read the book, good book but in my opinion it wasnt Stephen Kings best,  Misery or Cujo were my favorite by him, Side not Stephen King doesnt even remember writing Cujo

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#8    BorisIWantToKnow

BorisIWantToKnow

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 216 posts

• Credendo Vides, Seeing is Believing

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 18 March 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

Iv read the book, good book but in my opinion it wasnt Stephen Kings best,  Misery or Cujo were my favorite by him, Side not Stephen King doesnt even remember writing Cujo
Wait, what?
He seriously doesn't rembember writing it?

“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.

#9    cryptidexpert100

cryptidexpert100

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

He was actually scared to publish Pet Sematary since he thought it was so scary, reason he doesnt rmemeber writing Cujo is from his drug/ alcohol addicition

#10    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,560 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:29 AM

View Postcryptidexpert100, on 18 March 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

He was actually scared to publish Pet Sematary since he thought it was so scary, reason he doesnt rmemeber writing Cujo is from his drug/ alcohol addicition

Has he ever written a novel on addiction? Now that would be scary as hell. Are any of his "monsters" actually addiction in the flesh?

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#11    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,311 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 19 March 2013 - 12:29 AM, said:

Has he ever written a novel on addiction? Now that would be scary as hell. Are any of his "monsters" actually addiction in the flesh?
I think he did talk about addiction in one of his books, was it "The Tommyknockers"?

Posted Image

#12    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

A wendigo is, I think, supposedly a creature like a werewolf that is changed by the bite of another such creature. Haven't seen one lately, myself. B)

#13    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

A

View PostQuiteContrary, on 19 March 2013 - 12:29 AM, said:

He wrote a book on alcoholism, The Shining, in which one of the protagonist Jack Torrance, is a recovering alcoholic who suffers cabin fever, madness, and becomes a pawn to malevolent forces while winter caretaking with his family in the Colorado Rockies at the Overlook Hotel. A place with a rich history of scandal, corruption, and death. IMO, Stephen King really slammed this one outta the ballpark.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#14    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,560 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

View PostB Jenkins, on 19 March 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

A

He wrote a book on alcoholism, The Shining, in which one of the protagonist Jack Torrance, is a recovering alcoholic who suffers cabin fever, madness, and becomes a pawn to malevolent forces while winter caretaking with his family in the Colorado Rockies at the Overlook Hotel. A place with a rich history of scandal, corruption, and death. IMO, Stephen King really slammed this one outta the ballpark.

Oh yeah! Who could forget that one! According to wiki it seems more about how angry he was capable of feeling toward his children, and the thoughts he had

"... the story evolved into a five-act novel that also included many of King's own personal demons."
" I was horrified by my occasional feelings of real antagonism toward my children."

http://en.wikipedia...._Shining_(novel)

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#15    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 19 March 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

Oh yeah! Who could forget that one! According to wiki it seems more about how angry he was capable of feeling toward his children, and the thoughts he had

"... the story evolved into a five-act novel that also included many of King's own personal demons."
" I was horrified by my occasional feelings of real antagonism toward my children."

http://en.wikipedia...._Shining_(novel)

Yes, Jack Torrance was abused and has a history of black out rages one in which his son Danny suffered a broken arm and the other by which Jack lost his academic job for assaulting a student. These circumstances are what drives him desperately to accept the winter caretaker job in order to provide for his family which he gets through none other than his now sober drinking pal from the academic days. But the core theme is alcoholism yet as the novel progresses, as Jack becomes increasingly antagonistic towards his wife and son he begins to rub his upper lip bloody and raw in his subconscious desire to hit the bottle again.

I find the Torrances some of the most sympathetic characters Stephen King ever penned. Jack Torrance simply wants to redeem himself (man up) while on the verge of hard times but discovers evil lying in wait for him and the family up in the snowbound Rockies. In the movie, we dont ever truly get a glimpse of the redeemable qualities of Jack Torrance before the madness. Jack Nicholson is simply too creepy right off the bat. In the movie, everyone just does their own thing. Danny is constantly alone on his big wheel talking to his finger friend Tony whereas in the book Danny actually goes under in a trance when Tony contacts him there's a gulf between them and Tony appears to speak across this distance like a teenaged Guardian Angel. In the book, the Torrances are an attractive couple just attempting to bury their pasts and plow full steam ahead to rebuild their once prestigious lives. Jack Torrance really has something to prove here. Jack was an ex school ballplayer. Wendy is not this meek and insecure mouse of a woman like Shelley Duvall in the movie. Kubrick changed too many dynamics and by this really failed to flesh out these characters.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users