Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Women In Professional Sports


  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,512 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:twilight zone's outer limits

  • Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:45 AM

This thread likely belongs in this board because it deals with change over time. Will women ever be able to compete against men in professional sports in which size and strength are requirements? A woman will try out as a kicker on one of the pro football teams. I'm referring to more physical positions, though (linebacker, quarterback). At least one woman played pro hockey, but she wasn't at the same competitive level as the men were. There are and were great drivers and jockeys of both genders, but those sports are nothing like boxing and wrestling. Will there ever come a time when women can compete against men in sports like rugby? Will the best female athletes ever match the best male athletes in those kinds of sports, or will they ever be able to realistically compete against them?

It's true that present female athletes break past male athletes' records in some events at the Olympian level, and it's not just relegated to swimming. Track and field events are susceptible too. It's doubtful that women can compete against men in sports like mixed martial arts, though (even Rousy). Will this always be the case?

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#2    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

    Common Sense Aficionado

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts
  • Joined:18 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:DarkSide of TheMoon

  • "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:07 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 22 February 2013 - 04:45 AM, said:

This thread likely belongs in this board because it deals with change over time. Will women ever be able to compete against men in professional sports in which size and strength are requirements? A woman will try out as a kicker on one of the pro football teams. I'm referring to more physical positions, though (linebacker, quarterback). At least one woman played pro hockey, but she wasn't at the same competitive level as the men were. There are and were great drivers and jockeys of both genders, but those sports are nothing like boxing and wrestling. Will there ever come a time when women can compete against men in sports like rugby? Will the best female athletes ever match the best male athletes in those kinds of sports, or will they ever be able to realistically compete against them?

It's true that present female athletes break past male athletes' records in some events at the Olympian level, and it's not just relegated to swimming. Track and field events are susceptible too. It's doubtful that women can compete against men in sports like mixed martial arts, though (even Rousy). Will this always be the case?

At somepoint in time someone is going to try and push this.Though most male athletes even just at journeyman lvl will refuse to fight a female in combat sports.Rhonda Rousey is an exceptional athlete,has beat several men in judo but full on mma or boxing she would be at a extreme disadvantage.I have trained female fighters the differences are to extreme.I believe women should be able to fight each other in combat sports but never mix and match or you will have either a staged fight or a massacre.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#3    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,512 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:twilight zone's outer limits

  • Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:31 AM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 22 February 2013 - 05:07 AM, said:

At somepoint in time someone is going to try and push this.Though most male athletes even just at journeyman lvl will refuse to fight a female in combat sports.Rhonda Rousey is an exceptional athlete,has beat several men in judo but full on mma or boxing she would be at a extreme disadvantage.I have trained female fighters the differences are to extreme.I believe women should be able to fight each other in combat sports but never mix and match or you will have either a staged fight or a massacre.

Rhonda Rousey is like Laila Ali. They're the best at what they do, but they couldn't compete against mediocre male fighters. Do you recall that lame professional boxing match between a larger woman and a smaller man? It proves your point. Boys and girls can compete against each other until a certain age. It becomes impossible after that. I refer to the higher levels of sports where size, strength, speed, etc. play roles in an athlete's success. I don't see a time when the best women can fairly compete with the best men.

On the other hand, I often thought that girls and women were stronger than they and some males thought. Like you, I trained women. Some of them were much stronger than they thought they were while others were much weaker than they thought they were. Like men, it all depended on genetic potential.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#4    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

    Common Sense Aficionado

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts
  • Joined:18 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:DarkSide of TheMoon

  • "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:48 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 23 February 2013 - 04:31 AM, said:

Rhonda Rousey is like Laila Ali. They're the best at what they do, but they couldn't compete against mediocre male fighters. Do you recall that lame professional boxing match between a larger woman and a smaller man? It proves your point. Boys and girls can compete against each other until a certain age. It becomes impossible after that. I refer to the higher levels of sports where size, strength, speed, etc. play roles in an athlete's success. I don't see a time when the best women can fairly compete with the best men.

On the other hand, I often thought that girls and women were stronger than they and some males thought. Like you, I trained women. Some of them were much stronger than they thought they were while others were much weaker than they thought they were. Like men, it all depended on genetic potential.

Exactly!As males our bodies are can sustain more punishment.Because of testosterone our bones are harder,muscles stronger,even our skin is thicker.Yes some top level female fighters could kick the crap out of your average guy walking down the street,but against a guy in decent shape and just basic knowledge of fighting could end a fight against them very quickly.I do not ever see the day coming when a female can block or run through a 6'5 260 linebacker who runs a quick 40.No offense to any females who read this,i know some can be quite badass haha but their is a reason no man should ever hit a woman in a sporting event or not.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#5    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,512 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:twilight zone's outer limits

  • Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:14 AM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 23 February 2013 - 04:48 AM, said:

Exactly!As males our bodies are can sustain more punishment.Because of testosterone our bones are harder,muscles stronger,even our skin is thicker.Yes some top level female fighters could kick the crap out of your average guy walking down the street,but against a guy in decent shape and just basic knowledge of fighting could end a fight against them very quickly.I do not ever see the day coming when a female can block or run through a 6'5 260 linebacker who runs a quick 40.No offense to any females who read this,i know some can be quite badass haha but their is a reason no man should ever hit a woman in a sporting event or not.

Some women are anomalies. They're bigger and stronger than most men. They would have no chance if they had to fight their male counterparts, though. Things change after boys enter their early teens. Laila Ali and Rhonda Rousey might be able to beat up Chuck Norris if they all become thirteen-year-olds. Not so much if they're all thirty-year-olds. Males should be grateful for testosterone! We might be stuck in "seventh grade" without it.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#6    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

    Common Sense Aficionado

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts
  • Joined:18 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:DarkSide of TheMoon

  • "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:19 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 23 February 2013 - 05:14 AM, said:

Some women are anomalies. They're bigger and stronger than most men. They would have no chance if they had to fight their male counterparts, though. Things change after boys enter their early teens. Laila Ali and Rhonda Rousey might be able to beat up Chuck Norris if they all become thirteen-year-olds. Not so much if they're all thirty-year-olds. Males should be grateful for testosterone! We might be stuck in "seventh grade" without it.

Very true but mix a bit of alcohol in with it and we become stuck in "seventh grade" with it hahaha

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#7    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,512 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:twilight zone's outer limits

  • Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:23 AM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 23 February 2013 - 05:19 AM, said:

Very true but mix a bit of alcohol in with it and we become stuck in "seventh grade" with it hahaha

I referred to size and strength. However, you were right too. You might have been too generous. That was one reason that I stopped drinking.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#8    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

    Common Sense Aficionado

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts
  • Joined:18 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:DarkSide of TheMoon

  • "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:30 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 23 February 2013 - 05:23 AM, said:

I referred to size and strength. However, you were right too. You might have been too generous. That was one reason that I stopped drinking.

That is why i pushed myself when i was younger to find my limit.Becoming a loud mouth jackass,throwing your friends around and breaking **** at parties only attracts a certain kind of woman.The wrong kind lmao :lol:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#9    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Joined:08 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 23 February 2013 - 04:48 AM, said:

know some can be quite badass haha but their is a reason no man should ever hit a woman in a sporting event or not.

Unless the man is defending himself, of course.

If some mad woman starts trying to attack me with a cricket bat I'd punch her lights out.

And what if the woman is bigger and stronger than the man?


#10    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

    Common Sense Aficionado

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts
  • Joined:18 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:DarkSide of TheMoon

  • "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 23 February 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

Unless the man is defending himself, of course.

If some mad woman starts trying to attack me with a cricket bat I'd punch her lights out.

And what if the woman is bigger and stronger than the man?

Well their are certain exceptions to the rule if being attacked with something,if she is bigger and stronger i suggest he get his ass to the gym and take some kind of self defense class lmao.Damnit man i read this and started laughing so hard almost spit coffee all over my computer  :lol:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#11    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,512 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:twilight zone's outer limits

  • Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:33 AM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 23 February 2013 - 05:30 AM, said:

That is why i pushed myself when i was younger to find my limit.Becoming a loud mouth jackass,throwing your friends around and breaking **** at parties only attracts a certain kind of woman.The wrong kind lmao :lol:

You might have mentioned one of them. I was a happy and nice drunk. I was sad when I was sober. I never was mean in any state.

Did you fight in the past? It sounded like you were involved in the martial arts. My two cousins fought in competitions and exhibitions here and there. I just boxed for the sport of it, and I took karate.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#12    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Joined:17 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Pineapple under the Sea

  • Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

I think in certain sports where it's mostly skill then women should be able to compete against men.  But it's just science that men are stronger and quicker than women, we are built completely different.

I lift weights and can build strength and some muscle, but without drugs (and some women do have an actual hormonal imbalance but generally speaking) I could not get anywhere near the level of muscle as a man could.

I think women are getting stronger and faster than ever before but as women excel and push boundaries, so do men.

Edited by Moon Gazer, 25 February 2013 - 09:38 AM.


#13    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

    Common Sense Aficionado

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts
  • Joined:18 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:DarkSide of TheMoon

  • "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

View PostMoon Gazer, on 25 February 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

I think in certain sports where it's mostly skill then women should be able to compete against men.  But it's just science that men are stronger and quicker than women, we are built completely different.

I lift weights and can build strength and some muscle, but without drugs (and some women do have an actual hormonal imbalance but generally speaking) I could not get anywhere near the level of muscle as a man could.

I think women are getting stronger and faster than ever before but as women excel and push boundaries, so do men.

Agreed some sports such as tennis,baseball,and golf women should be able to compete against anyone.Sports such as football,boxing,mma,even basketball i just do not think would be a good idea at all.I have no doubt someone will try and do some of these things some day,just my opinion it will not turn out good.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#14    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

    Common Sense Aficionado

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts
  • Joined:18 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:DarkSide of TheMoon

  • "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 24 February 2013 - 03:33 AM, said:

You might have mentioned one of them. I was a happy and nice drunk. I was sad when I was sober. I never was mean in any state.

Did you fight in the past? It sounded like you were involved in the martial arts. My two cousins fought in competitions and exhibitions here and there. I just boxed for the sport of it, and I took karate.

Yes detective boxing and mixed martial arts.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#15    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,512 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:twilight zone's outer limits

  • Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:05 AM

View PostMoon Gazer, on 25 February 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

I think in certain sports where it's mostly skill then women should be able to compete against men.  But it's just science that men are stronger and quicker than women, we are built completely different.

I lift weights and can build strength and some muscle, but without drugs (and some women do have an actual hormonal imbalance but generally speaking) I could not get anywhere near the level of muscle as a man could.

I think women are getting stronger and faster than ever before but as women excel and push boundaries, so do men.

That's all true. You obviously agree that women can't and won't ever match men in size and strength, although they may improve in given sports over time. I don't think that incredibly strong women always have anomalous bodies (in the health sense), though. Some healthy, normal women are incredibly strong. There's a lot of variation both between and within the two human genders. Some females have great genes for size, strength, speed, etc.. They can optimize their physical traits in natural ways. Of course, many female athletes are enhanced by artificial means in ways that they weren't in the past. You still find accounts of great female athletes and fighters from the past, though. Some of them entertained their contemporaries in strong-woman acts in traveling circuses. Some of them performed feats of strength at beaches and on stages. That's not to mention the long list of historical "Xenas", as well as female combat athletes of all kinds.

There is one reality with billions of versions.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users