Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

NASA to "Boldly Go"

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#16    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

Are things are possible! I still haven't figured at what the aren't using nuke power for aircraft and cars. A unlimited clean power source.

#17    TSS

TSS

Observer

• Closed
  • 5,750 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:09 PM

View Postsergeantflynn, on 18 September 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

Anything is possible .

To misuse a Guy Martin quote, I'll believe anything is possible when I see a man eat his own head! Until then, anything isn't possible.

#18    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:34 PM

Maybe i can be the first Earth Ambassador to Omicron Persei 8

#19    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,724 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:34 PM

View PostThe Sky Scanner, on 18 September 2012 - 05:09 PM, said:

To misuse a Guy Martin quote, I'll believe anything is possible when I see a man eat his own head! Until then, anything isn't possible.
Indeed, despite people continually claiming that anything is possible the human race doesn't get to decide that. The laws of nature are not like traffic rules, you can't break them.

The question then is "what is possible". We still don't understand everything so there may still be surprises ahead. That is why experiments like the one described in the original post are necessary. Is warp drive possible... even the people carrying out the experiments don't know that yet.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#20    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,474 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 18 September 2012 - 05:34 PM, said:

Indeed, despite people continually claiming that anything is possible the human race doesn't get to decide that. The laws of nature are not like traffic rules, you can't break them.

The question then is "what is possible". We still don't understand everything so there may still be surprises ahead. That is why experiments like the one described in the original post are necessary. Is warp drive possible... even the people carrying out the experiments don't know that yet.
The Laws of Nature are only valid until they are disproven. Such "Laws" place restrictions on those who would try to disprove them because they do not conform to received Scientific Laws, and therefore receive no funding.

IMO - all Physical Laws represent the known state of Science at the time of formulation, and therefore should not be "Ring - Fenced" by such dogma. Einstein and Newton both made serious errors in their lifetime. No one Mathematician or Scientist should be revered to the point that contrary ideas and hypotheses are considered a Heresy to Scientific Orthodoxy.

#21    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:50 PM

View Postwolfknight, on 18 September 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

Are things are possible! I still haven't figured at what the aren't using nuke power for aircraft and cars. A unlimited clean power source.
I think the soviets tinkered with nuclear powered aircraft way back but the weight of the reactor and the shielding for the crew made it non-viable.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#22    Alisdair.MacDonald

Alisdair.MacDonald

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:01 PM

View Postshaddow134, on 18 September 2012 - 05:50 PM, said:

I think the soviets tinkered with nuclear powered aircraft way back but the weight of the reactor and the shielding for the crew made it non-viable.

Maybe they know it is already too late, and that is why they are so desperately looking for a way 'off this rock'?

Edited by Mider, 18 September 2012 - 06:01 PM.

#23    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:08 PM

View PostMider, on 18 September 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

Maybe they know it is already too late, and that is why they are so desperately looking for a way 'off this rock'?

Maybe they already do.  Just think of it as Plan B.

Even back in the 1950s and 1960s, when many people thought there was going to be a nuclear war, wouldn't it make sense to start working on a Plan B, just in case?

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/40033080" width="400" height="250" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Edited by TheMacGuffin, 18 September 2012 - 06:15 PM.

#24    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,724 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 18 September 2012 - 05:47 PM, said:

The Laws of Nature are only valid until they are disproven. Such "Laws" place restrictions on those who would try to disprove them because they do not conform to received Scientific Laws, and therefore receive no funding.
That statement is so wrong it deserves a whole new category of wrongness all of its own. The laws of nature are absolute. What changes is our understanding of the laws of nature. Our understanding may change and improve but the rules remain the same.

View Postkeithisco, on 18 September 2012 - 05:47 PM, said:

IMO - all Physical Laws represent the known state of Science at the time of formulation, and therefore should not be "Ring - Fenced" by such dogma. Einstein and Newton both made serious errors in their lifetime. No one Mathematician or Scientist should be revered to the point that contrary ideas and hypotheses are considered a Heresy to Scientific Orthodoxy.
Strawman argument. No one here is claiming that any scientists should be revered. No one here is claiming that new ideas should not be investigated. In fact had you read and understood my post you would have understood that I was making the very point we need to continue research and experimentation in order to understand the laws of nature fully.

I repeat:

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 18 September 2012 - 05:34 PM, said:

Now please point out where I am saying that we should stick to "dogma"

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#25    Shayde

Shayde

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:15 PM

If anything, there's one thing we ought to consider if this is an actual project.

Think of any of the poor scientists who are wearing any sort of colour coded uniforms. Especially red ones....

#26    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:36 PM

View Postshaddow134, on 18 September 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

Who knows in a another 100 years....
I would narrow that scale down to 50. Significant technological advancements can be attained between now, and fifty years from now.

#27    TSS

TSS

Observer

• Closed
  • 5,750 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:44 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 18 September 2012 - 06:13 PM, said:

Now please point out where I am saying that we should stick to "dogma"

I wouldn't mind seeing the answer to that too, since your reply to me stated the opposite. :unsure2:

#28    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,360 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

The only question I have with the article is how such a warping of space is to be done for the experiment. I thought to create this kind of field/spacetime effect would require gravity control? Are they simply trying to put a lot of energy in a small volume to try to bend spacetime?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#29    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,724 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:51 PM

View PostThe Sky Scanner, on 18 September 2012 - 06:44 PM, said:

I wouldn't mind seeing the answer to that too, since your reply to me stated the opposite. :unsure2:
Exactly.

The problem here is that so many people misunderstand what is meant by scientific laws. They seem to think that because our understanding changes that these laws are man made. They don't understand that the laws of nature underpin the universe. Ever single particle, every force in the universe has to obey them.

When they are rewritten by man it is because we have understood what those rules are a little more. The rules themselves remain the same.

As to the subject of this topic... if these loopholes do not exist nothing man can do will change that. If they do exist then we need to understand them so that we can exploit them. Our knowledge will move forward. What we know to be possible or not will move forward. What is ACTUALLY possible or not will remain the same.

Posted Image
Click on button

#30    Alisdair.MacDonald

Alisdair.MacDonald

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 18 September 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

Maybe they already do.  Just think of it as Plan B.

Even back in the 1950s and 1960s, when many people thought there was going to be a nuclear war, wouldn't it make sense to start working on a Plan B, just in case?

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/40033080" width="400" height="250" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Yes, and you can be sure that in the event plan B is needed. The common man won't have a chance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users