Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Was Uffington White Horse really a unicorn?


  • Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#46    Skeptic Chicken

Skeptic Chicken

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Joined:20 Jul 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Australia

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:18 AM

That thing alread looks like a unicorn -_-

My User Name is a loving memory of how much I want to know about the worlds secrets, that I forgot to look up the definition of "skeptical" before I made my account.

#47    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,110 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:57 PM

View Postbee, on 30 December 2011 - 10:41 PM, said:

nice first post Ct Scarlet....welcome to the forum.


mmmmmmmmmmmm Sirius....


that whole area....extending to Avebury and Silbury Hill etc is choc-a-bloc with mystery.

Have you heard about Silbury maybe being a white pyramid originally?

When I have more time I'm going to get my maps out and have a look at alignments with Dragon Hill and Silbury Hill.


:tu:

Heh, if this PDF represents that 'theory', I wouldn't be bothered by it much:

Based on independent research following the publication of the book
Silbury Dawning: The Alien Visitor Gene Theory and new findings from
the English Heritage Silbury Hill Conservation Project 2007- 2008
.

http://silbury.files...te-pyramid3.pdf


#48    whiteRider

whiteRider

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined:03 Oct 2012

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:04 AM

View Postrashore, on 22 December 2011 - 08:12 PM, said:

IMO, kind of stupid.. They want to take a piece of 3,000 art and make a modern addition to it. May as well start defacing other art to suit our wishes as well, blech. Mona Lisa mustache anyone?

I have to think that if the original carvers took the time to make something that has lasted so long, well if it was meant to have a horn they would have carved that in too, and it would have survived just as well as the rest of the carving has.

If these folks want a unicorn so bad.. Why don't they just take their money and find another hill to carve it into?

View PostAncientExplorer, on 23 December 2011 - 03:08 AM, said:

To me that would just be ruining it. I agree with rashore, if it was supposed to be a unicorn, it would be. Why can`t we just leave special things alone, and not try to change them  <_<

View PostDougal, on 23 December 2011 - 09:14 AM, said:

How on earthy can they even try and justify defacing an ancient work of art like that?

The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me :|

View Postbee, on 23 December 2011 - 09:31 PM, said:

I think that the original Uffington Horse....may have been a stylized dragon...

There is hill very near it called Dragon Hill.



http://www.berkshire...ragon_hill.html


and it may have been put there to represent the natural electro-magnetic-(plasma?) energy lines that criss cross the

countryside (and the whole earth)


where to begin with you lott ??  FIRST  i will start with bee .  it is called dragon hill  for a reason . and that reason is that it is the said place that st george himself slay the dragon . the legend says the grass and vegetation where he slay the dragon  did not grow again .

SECONDLY  the shape and figure of the horse has been speculated to have changed over the years for a reason . and that is that natural growth and vegetation can  bury it in a matter of decades leaving it unseen to the eye and buried below dirt .  THERE HAS TO BE an UPKEEP  for the horse to be seen . this is  and was done  once a year  by my people for  thousands of years .

THIRD .  it is also  the place where king alfred  who was one of the last true kings of england in the 800,s fought off saxon invaders . after summoning an army with the blowing stone  AKA  the rock of england (research that it will blow your  minds )      ALSO   when you talk about the oxford mail u must know that the very university of oxford  was put into place by none other THAN KING ALFRED  he was the first to establish education for his people . with his learning centers he put into place

this is nothing but a small glimpse . a single sentence from a extensive library that is english history .

you should  also know that on may day and summer soltice and other special ceremonial and spiritual days throughout the year that were later adapted by dirty christians and intergrated by our people .  were all celebrated at the white horse  . these practices continued late into the 1700,s  

these people were my ancestors . and i will not have people bending truth for fiction, fantasy,fun .

there was no aliens there was no unicorn there was no bigfoot on my land .

but dragons ?  ask me about those  another day

have a good day  .


#49    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

    Spartan Forever!!!!

  • Member
  • 3,733 posts
  • Joined:31 Mar 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Abu Dhabi, UAE

  • Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:40 AM

Quote

these people were my ancestors . and i will not have people bending truth for fiction, fantasy,fun .

Quite authoritative, huh?

Discuss, Debate. Enlighten.
Dont command, instruct or show your stiff upper lip. eh!

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#50    DieChecker

DieChecker

    I'm a Rogue Scholar

  • Member
  • 18,661 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, Oregon, USA

  • Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:02 AM

View PostwhiteRider, on 03 October 2012 - 04:04 AM, said:

where to begin with you lott ??  FIRST  i will start with bee .  it is called dragon hill  for a reason . and that reason is that it is the said place that st george himself slay the dragon . the legend says the grass and vegetation where he slay the dragon  did not grow again .
And that was on Dragon Hill, right. Not where the Horse is layed out?

Quote

SECONDLY  the shape and figure of the horse has been speculated to have changed over the years for a reason . and that is that natural growth and vegetation can  bury it in a matter of decades leaving it unseen to the eye and buried below dirt .  THERE HAS TO BE an UPKEEP  for the horse to be seen . this is  and was done  once a year  by my people for  thousands of years .
So, you are saying it is definately a horse? Not a dragon?

Quote

these people were my ancestors . and i will not have people bending truth for fiction, fantasy,fun .

there was no aliens there was no unicorn there was no bigfoot on my land .
So, it seems you are agreeing with the people who are saying it is not a unicorn, and that it would be wrong to change it? So why did you quote them and seem like you wanted to correct them? Just curious....

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#51    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

    SCIENCE!

  • Member
  • 10,775 posts
  • Joined:08 Nov 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Queensland, Australia.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:21 AM

View PostwhiteRider, on 03 October 2012 - 04:04 AM, said:

these people were my ancestors . and i will not have people bending truth for fiction, fantasy,fun .
Given the demographics of this place, those people were probably the ancestors of most posters.
Mine were native Britons.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#52    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

    Psychic Spy

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:India

  • If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:51 AM

View PostStill Waters, on 22 December 2011 - 04:39 PM, said:

Call in the evolutionists.They cab probably attest this possibility the best.


#53    Batfastard

Batfastard

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Joined:26 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NW England

  • I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:07 AM

View PostwhiteRider, on 03 October 2012 - 04:04 AM, said:

these people were my ancestors . and i will not have people bending truth for fiction, fantasy,fun .

Hmm interesting - they are also my ancestors, but I will draw your attention to:

View PostwhiteRider, on 03 October 2012 - 04:04 AM, said:

  it is also  the place where king alfred  who was one of the last true kings of england in the 800,s fought off saxon invaders . after summoning an army with the blowing stone  AKA  the rock of england (research that it will blow your  minds )   

The blowing stone is nothing more than a legend, so not sure where you get your 'truth' from, what is the likelyhood of a king who's lung capacity was so massive that he could blow this stone and create a loud enough noise that attracted the local villagers to fight the viking invaders - indeed a king who according to legend had health problems for all his adult life and someone whom it has been suggested may have suffered from Crohns Disease - seems more likely to be 'fantasy', something which you seem to be against?

I also wanted to point out that it was actually VIKING invaders that Alfred fought off - the Danes had been attacking England from 868 to 880 when the Viking leader was surrounded and sued for peace and wasforceably baptised as a Christian by Alfred along with 29 of his leaders.


#54    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,110 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 03 October 2012 - 06:51 AM, said:

Call in the evolutionists.They can probably attest this possibility the best.

You seem bent on twisting any discussion into a discussion about evolution. You must have nightmares about Darwin and evolution, lol.

==


I still haven't seen an explanation why this 'horse' resembles a running (wild)cat in many ways. It has a long slender body, it has whiskers (or fangs if you like), very UNlike a horse. Well, I had an explanation... just turn back a page.


#55    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

    Psychic Spy

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:India

  • If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 27 December 2011 - 06:36 PM, said:

Lol, then those things would be really huge lips.Man, the Uffington horse looks nothing like a horse.

Either the socalled 'repairs' throughout the ages destroyed the original horse-image beyond recognition, or it was never meant to depict a horse.

I didn't want to post it in the "Oera Linda" thread, but it could be one of Freya's cats (she drove a carriage pulled by cats). In that thread I tried to explain that one of the alternative names for the 'Heel Stone' (in Stonehenge), 'Freya's He-ol' is nothing but 'Freya's Hall' or Sessrumnir, an alternative name some Nordic gave to Stonehenge.

Posted Image

.

Posted Image
The above is a illustration of a Prime Hindu Goddess called Durga riding on her favoured vehicle which can be a tiger or a lion (two cats).
Whats your take on the Freya,Durga and Celtic-Vedic connections?


#56    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,110 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 03 October 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:


The above is a illustration of a Prime Hindu Goddess called Durga riding on her favoured vehicle which can be a tiger or a lion (two cats).
Whats your take on the Freya,Durga and Celtic-Vedic connections?

Man, you're fast, lol.

Well, I'd say it was one of Freya's cats, and knowing how the Nordics called Stonehenge, it seems plausible.

But I don't think it is very plausible people from India travelled all the way to England to carve out that cat.

If you mean the shared imagery has some meaning, I'd say no; Freya drove a carriage pulled by cats, Durga sat on one (or two). But sure, it could be true they were connected somehow.

Would that change what we know about the "Uffington Horse"?


#57    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

    Psychic Spy

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:India

  • If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 03 October 2012 - 10:37 AM, said:

Man, you're fast, lol.

Well, I'd say it was one of Freya's cats, and knowing how the Nordics called Stonehenge, it seems plausible.

But I don't think it is very plausible people from India travelled all the way to England to carve out that cat.

If you mean the shared imagery has some meaning, I'd say no; Freya drove a carriage pulled by cats, Durga sat on one (or two). But sure, it could be true they were connected somehow.

Would that change what we know about the "Uffington Horse"?
Ofcourse Indians didn't go out all the way and carved the horse and returned to India.Was talking about cultural migrations and transfers.
"Uffigton Cat" you mean by your own suggestion,yes it would as the Celtic Druid culture and the Vedic culture share quite a lot so if this horse/unicorn is actually a cat it can help to draw more similes in a way that is suggested by my previous post.
And i think you are too quick to dismiss the shared imagery,both were using cats as a mode of transport (the illustration of Durga riding a tiger is not absolute,scriptures only suggest that the tiger/lion was her vehicle and could have been attached to a cart i.e 'Vahana')


#58    whiteRider

whiteRider

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined:03 Oct 2012

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

View PostBatfastard, on 03 October 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

I also wanted to point out that it was actually VIKING invaders that Alfred fought of

correct .

also .the legend of the blowing stone exists  .  but so does  the blowing stone itself


the word dragon  was more recently replaced by the word dinosaur . dragons lingered on strained ever tapering branches until there was no more dra-un. for one man to kill a single dragon on his own was a great feat

Edited by whiteRider, 03 October 2012 - 02:32 PM.


#59    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,110 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 03 October 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

Ofcourse Indians didn't go out all the way and carved the horse and returned to India.Was talking about cultural migrations and transfers.
"Uffigton Cat" you mean by your own suggestion,yes it would as the Celtic Druid culture and the Vedic culture share quite a lot so if this horse/unicorn is actually a cat it can help to draw more similes in a way that is suggested by my previous post.
And i think you are too quick to dismiss the shared imagery,both were using cats as a mode of transport (the illustration of Durga riding a tiger is not absolute,scriptures only suggest that the tiger/lion was her vehicle and could have been attached to a cart i.e 'Vahana')

Not only Freya used a carriage pulled by cats, so did Cybele and Rhea:

Rhea only appears in Greek art from the 4th century BC, when her iconography draws on that of Cybele; the two are therefore often indistinguishable;[10] both can be shown on a throne flanked by lions or on a chariot drawn by two lions. In Roman religion, her counterpart Cybele was Magna Mater deorum Idaea, who was brought to Rome and was identified in Roman mythology as an ancestral Trojan deity. On a functional level, Rhea was thought equivalent to Roman Ops or Opis.

Most often Rhea's symbol is a pair of lions, the ones that pulled her celestial chariot and were seen often, rampant, one on either side of the gateways through the walls to many cities in the ancient world. The one at Mycenae is most characteristic, with the lions placed on either side of a pillar that symbolizes the goddess
.

http://en.wikipedia....hea_(mythology)


Cybele play /ˈsɪbɨliː/ (Phrygian: Matar Kubileya/Kubeleya "Kubeleyan Mother", perhaps "Mountain Mother"; Lydian Kuvava; Greek: Κυβέλη Kybele, Κυβήβη Kybebe, Κύβελις Kybelis), was an originally Anatolian mother goddess. Little is known of her oldest Anatolian cults, other than her association with mountains, hawks and lions. She may have been Phrygia's State deity; her Phrygian cult was adopted and adapted by Greek colonists of Asia Minor, and spread from there to mainland Greece and its more distant western colonies from around the 6th century BCE.

In Greece, Cybele met with a mixed reception. She was partially assimilated to aspects of the Earth-goddess Gaia, her Minoan equivalent Rhea, and the Corn-Mother goddess Demeter. Some city-states, notably Athens, evoked her as a protector but her most celebrated Greek rites and processions show her as an essentially foreign, exotic mystery-goddess, who arrives in a lion-drawn chariot to the accompaniment of wild music, wine, and a disorderly, ecstatic following.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybele

I see much more resemblance between Freya and Rhea/Cybele than between Frey and Durga

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durga
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freyja


#60    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

    Psychic Spy

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:India

  • If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 03 October 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

Not only Freya used a carriage pulled by cats, so did Cybele and Rhea:

Rhea only appears in Greek art from the 4th century BC, when her iconography draws on that of Cybele; the two are therefore often indistinguishable;[10] both can be shown on a throne flanked by lions or on a chariot drawn by two lions. In Roman religion, her counterpart Cybele was Magna Mater deorum Idaea, who was brought to Rome and was identified in Roman mythology as an ancestral Trojan deity. On a functional level, Rhea was thought equivalent to Roman Ops or Opis.

Most often Rhea's symbol is a pair of lions, the ones that pulled her celestial chariot and were seen often, rampant, one on either side of the gateways through the walls to many cities in the ancient world. The one at Mycenae is most characteristic, with the lions placed on either side of a pillar that symbolizes the goddess
.

http://en.wikipedia....hea_(mythology)


Cybele play /ˈsɪbɨliː/ (Phrygian: Matar Kubileya/Kubeleya "Kubeleyan Mother", perhaps "Mountain Mother"; Lydian Kuvava; Greek: Κυβέλη Kybele, Κυβήβη Kybebe, Κύβελις Kybelis), was an originally Anatolian mother goddess. Little is known of her oldest Anatolian cults, other than her association with mountains, hawks and lions. She may have been Phrygia's State deity; her Phrygian cult was adopted and adapted by Greek colonists of Asia Minor, and spread from there to mainland Greece and its more distant western colonies from around the 6th century BCE.

In Greece, Cybele met with a mixed reception. She was partially assimilated to aspects of the Earth-goddess Gaia, her Minoan equivalent Rhea, and the Corn-Mother goddess Demeter. Some city-states, notably Athens, evoked her as a protector but her most celebrated Greek rites and processions show her as an essentially foreign, exotic mystery-goddess, who arrives in a lion-drawn chariot to the accompaniment of wild music, wine, and a disorderly, ecstatic following.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybele

I see much more resemblance between Freya and Rhea/Cybele than between Frey and Durga

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durga
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freyja
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devi
This link will gives you a god descriptive of the Vedic godesses.There is a close parallel between Rhea and Kali(a form of Durga).





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users