Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What did Edgar Rice Burroughs know?

MasterFlint

Edgar Rice Burroughs is a famous Arthur, im sure everyone has heard of Tarzan, and after the recent John Carter Movie (which was great btw!) now people have probably been introduced to his John Carter of Mars Series starting with the Princess of Mars and so on..... there are several books in the series.....

Anyway, he wrote the first book in the series in 1912.... Mr. Burroughs died in 1950.... I saw the movie first, was intrigued and read the first book the Princess of Mars, and now I've started on the second book Gods of Mars... They're great books, very entertaining, the second doesn't come close to the first in my opinion but still very good... Long story short if anyone is familiar with the work of Richard C. Hoogland at enterprisemission.com and have seen the images in his books about mars... you start to wonder if it's all just a coincidence or what??

Burroughs of the early 1900's paints a near perfect in comparison picture to a theory someone like Hoogland would come up with today.. The super thin atmosphere on mars, the ancient ruins, the barren seas that were once magnificient oceans... The picture and history painted by Burroughs seems to match what Hoogland has pictures of, such as things that look like ancient buildings and ruins!!! Not to mention Cydonia... Then there's pictures on the internet of things that very clearly look like trees on Mars! And the most intriguing coincidence to me was when I was reading Gods of Mars the other day and a new batch of characters popped up called the Black Pirates of Barsoom.... now these people are apparently fierce warriors who travel to mars from one of mars's moons to make war on the people on mars (the therns). Does that seem strange to anyone else??? Ever heard of Phobos?!?! The moon of mars that is misshapen and is the ONLY moon anyone knows about that isn't a sphere, but instead is more like an oval and has very strange markings that looks like rivets that many believe could be a hollow spaceship and not a moon at all!!!!! And then you have a writer in the 1900's describing a warrior race from a moon of mars, it's all very strange! And it makes you wonder......did Burroughs know something the rest of us didn't? With discoveries like frozen water on mars, organic molecules found, and all the very strange photo's from mars showing ruins and canals.........could any of the places and stories in Burrough's novels be based on any ancient martian facts that the public just doesn't know about....?

What do you think?

I think Burrugh's Mars as I read it is a very different place from what we find in fact. You take a few similarities and blow them out of proportion and ignore the differences.

• Like 1

Not really, there are enough anomalies on mars that if it isn't populated now I think you'd have to agree that it was most likely populated some time in it's ancient past... to some degree. There's no disputing the evidence on Cydonia, there was some type of civilization there once.

• Like 1

I'm skeptical; the "Face on Mars" is now known to be people jumping to conclusions, as also with the "pyramids." Time will tell, but don't hold your breath.

I think Richard C Hoagland briefings to the UN and Nasa about Cydonia are very convinving, there is more at Cydonia then just the face and the pyramids... When you take a look at all the mathematics he discovered intertwined in Cydonia it's just amazing. The hidden message he found in the math about the 30 degree line I believe it is was a pretty amazing revelation it seemed like. I don't remember the scientific terms, it's been a while since I seen it... But the whole pyryamid/triangle inside a sphere/circle and how it always leads to a celestial bodies center of energy somewhere on the 30 degree line on the object, whether it be the gigantic extinct volcano on mars, the volcano in Hawaii on earth, the red spot on jupiter, or what have you... Really cool stuff...

• Like 1

The face and pyramids weren't people jumping to conclusions, there's clear symmetry with the face... and the pyramids are arranged in 5 points that you could clearly trace into a star/pentagram, it isn't random. Nature doesn't create patterns like that. They aren't random mounds in the middle of no where, where they stand is precise and artificial.

The face and pyramids weren't people jumping to conclusions, there's clear symmetry with the face... and the pyramids are arranged in 5 points that you could clearly trace into a star/pentagram, it isn't random. Nature doesn't create patterns like that. They aren't random mounds in the middle of no where, where they stand is precise and artificial.

I have seen and photographed some inexplicable symmetrical patterns within nature... so it does happen
  • Like 1

Edgar Rice Burroughs is a famous Arthur

A famous Arthur?

• Like 7

You might just as well ask did H. G. Wells know something that we didn't, since his premise- that the Martians decided to come here when their own planet became uninhabitable- is not dissimilar to Mr. H's theories. Except for the taking over by force, of course. But if they came in the ancient past, they probably wouldn't have needed to do that. I'm afraid i don't really understand all mr. H's ideas about geometry and so on, I'm, afraid, so I couldn't comment there.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh

Face?

about1.gif

newfaceonmars.jpg

Pyramid?

l-mar6.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cydonia_%28region_of_Mars%29

He knew how to paint? If I painted a picture of the earth flat, does that make it flat?

Edit: I can't take Richard C. Hoagland seriously not with his laughable space Nazis.

Edited by Rlyeh

The "Sleeping Ute Mountain" in Ute territory near Cortez, Colorado, is an astonishing example of a perfectly natural formation.

Listen man.... when a 5000 year old book says someone/something went to mars and built an image of his face on mars....and then a face on mars is found! Something, some form of intelligent life was there at some point in time...

Listen man.... when a 5000 year old book says someone/something went to mars and built an image of his face on mars....and then a face on mars is found! Something, some form of intelligent life was there at some point in time...

Welcome to UM Master Flint, word of advice...fasten your seatbelt....

• Like 2

a 5000 year old Book? So you're saying Mr. Burroughs wrote his book based on some ancient text or Tome?

So are we saying that someone from Earth went to mars and constructed the Face, rather than the Face being constructed by the ancient natives of Mars, who may then have come to Earth? So in effect it's the opposite of the usual Ancient Aliens theory?

It could be any possibility, but for there to be an ancient Summerian story about an alien from another planet coming to earth, then getting banished to mars and constructing his face on mars.......and then nasa photographing a face on mars!!!! There just has to be something to it... Cydonia was an inhabitated place, by one intelligent lifeform or several, by natives of mars, or from people of earth, or from some other alien, dimensional, or supernatural life form......something was there!

Also, I aint new to UM Forums, just been away for like 5 or 6 years.... apparently if you don't use your UM Username for so long, it gets deleted? lol. I used to be TheEssenceofExcellence.... many many years ago hahahaha...

Edgar Rice Burroughs is a famous Arthur, im sure everyone has heard of Tarzan, and after the recent John Carter Movie (which was great btw!) now people have probably been introduced to his John Carter of Mars Series starting with the Princess of Mars and so on..... there are several books in the series.....

LOL at Colonel Rhuairidh.

How uncanny, I referenced ERB in another post earlier today. I have seen John Carter. It was OK. I have not read the books.

Anyway, he wrote the first book in the series in 1912.... Mr. Burroughs died in 1950.... I saw the movie first, was intrigued and read the first book the Princess of Mars, and now I've started on the second book Gods of Mars... They're great books, very entertaining, the second doesn't come close to the first in my opinion but still very good...

I will take your word for it, not that I get much opportunity to settle down with a book these days. Do you know of they plan to sequel the movie?

Long story short if anyone is familiar with the work of Richard C. Hoogland at enterprisemission.com and have seen the images in his books about mars... you start to wonder if it's all just a coincidence or what??

I am familiar, could be a co-incidence, and it could be that ERB inspired Mr Hoagland. Mr Hoagland is full of crap I am afraid. We can see that his Moon Cities do not exist with a garden variety telescope. I dabble in astronomy myself, but I have never seen a light on at Mars.

Burroughs of the early 1900's paints a near perfect in comparison picture to a theory someone like Hoogland would come up with today..

Not hard, as I mentioned earlier today the Martian Canali ideal died down in the early 1900's when spectral analysis showed us no water in the Mars atmosphere. We got there in 1965 with Mariner and saw for ourselves. Better telescopes already told us much of this.

The super thin atmosphere on mars, the ancient ruins, the barren seas that were once magnificient oceans... The picture and history painted by Burroughs seems to match what Hoogland has pictures of, such as things that look like ancient buildings and ruins!!! Not to mention Cydonia... Then there's pictures on the internet of things that very clearly look like trees on Mars!

You do not think Lowell's zealous fever about Martian Irrigation systems might have inspired this?

Abe pointed out that Cydonia is a hill, paredolia is not restricted to earth it would seem. Same with the "tree's" yo just have to look a little closer. Not seeing these things from Curiosity in the live cam are we?

And the most intriguing coincidence to me was when I was reading Gods of Mars the other day and a new batch of characters popped up called the Black Pirates of Barsoom.... now these people are apparently fierce warriors who travel to mars from one of mars's moons to make war on the people on mars (the therns). Does that seem strange to anyone else??? Ever heard of Phobos?!?! The moon of mars that is misshapen and is the ONLY moon anyone knows about that isn't a sphere, but instead is more like an oval and has very strange markings that looks like rivets that many believe could be a hollow spaceship and not a moon at all!!!!! And then you have a writer in the 1900's describing a warrior race from a moon of mars, it's all very strange! And it makes you wonder......did Burroughs know something the rest of us didn't?

Phobos is indeed fascinating, but at only a mean radius of 11.1 km you want some serious gravity boots, and there is no atmosphere, and it is going to crash into Mars in about 30 million years. It has an unusually close orbit. Fascinating place, but you are not going to find civilisations on there. It's much smaller than our moon, which has a much larger diameter at 3 474.8 kilometres.

The "strange markings" are mapped craters

200px-PhobosMROnames.jpg

And it is not hollow. We got a good picture way back on Viking 1

220px-Phobos.jpg

It is not spaceship.

With discoveries like frozen water on mars, organic molecules found, and all the very strange photo's from mars showing ruins and canals.........could any of the places and stories in Burrough's novels be based on any ancient martian facts that the public just doesn't know about....?

Nope, and this is how we know Hoagland is wrong, we do not only have several rovers on Mars, but we have photographed it, and as time has moved, telescopes have just got better. Now we have cams on the planet. And we have analysis that says we are not going to find civilisations thriving there.

What do you think?

I think that Mr Hoagland is absolutely full of it, Mars is fascinating, but it's a fossil. I think you have a good imagination, but I know Mars is nothing like EBR describes.

• Like 4

Welcome to UM Master Flint, word of advice...fasten your seatbelt....

Nonsense like that doesn't need to be argued with. He's free to post what he likes, and if he persuades someone other than himself, all power to him. Not worth the waste of time.

• Like 1

It could be any possibility, but for there to be an ancient Summerian story about an alien from another planet coming to earth, then getting banished to mars and constructing his face on mars.......and then nasa photographing a face on mars!!!! There just has to be something to it... Cydonia was an inhabitated place, by one intelligent lifeform or several, by natives of mars, or from people of earth, or from some other alien, dimensional, or supernatural life form......something was there!

Sumerian - not translated by Stitchin I hope?

I aint sure if they're going to make a sequel or not, I hope they do, but I kinda doubt it. They didn't promote that movie well at all, having never read the books before it came out, and without OF MARS, in the title of the movie, I had no idea what it was about and thought all the previews of the movie looked horrible.... if it wasn't for hearing about it on coast to coast am one night and learning what the movie was actually about I never would have seen it... With the marketing for the movie being so bad, I doubt they plan on making a sequel.... But hey! Disney is supposed to make Star Wars Episodes 7,8 and 9!!!!! So im sure that'll satisfy all of us science fiction space flick lovers out there for a good long while...

Nonsense like that doesn't need to be argued with. He's free to post what he likes, and if he persuades someone other than himself, all power to him. Not worth the waste of time.

The same was said about the AA theory and rocks...yet the thread went on to over 600 pages if I recall correctly....

• Like 3