Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Is proof of alien life a risk to society ?

• Please log in to reply
424 replies to this topic

#271    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

About the bible not mentioning life elsewhere in the universe does actually make sense, In my opinion I mean the Bible is about this planet and how it came to be, not other planets.  Besides what are the odds that anything would actually land on this planet considering space is expanding, and the planets are getting further away from eachother. Just my Opinion though.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#272    conspiracy buff

conspiracy buff

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:54 AM

The obvious answer is yes, proof of alien life is a risk to our society.  People have been told for centuries that we humans are the only civilization.  Everything would change if alien life is found to exist, which is probably only a matter of time.  With the infinite number of possible stars & planets throughout this solar system and universe, thinking we are the only intelligent civilization is indeed ignorant and arrogant.  I have said it in other topics and I'll say it again; I'm not a believer in random coincidence.  I don't believe God or whomever you choose to believe in would have created these planets and only have one of them inhabited.  Religion would be directly affected by discovery of ET life because of our conditioning to believe in ourselves as God's favorites and only creations.  Society as a whole would begin to question our place in the universe and how we govern ourselves.  Which is the most likely reason why government covers up knowledge of ETs and UFOs.  Those in command do not wish to lose control and will do anything to keep their power.  Just my thoughts on it, though as I'm sure there are many who disagree with that sentiment.

There is a grain of truth in every conspiracy known to man, you just have to be intelligent enough to find it.

#273    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Mainly Spherical in Shape

• 25,053 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:46 AM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 13 April 2013 - 10:51 PM, said:

About the bible not mentioning life elsewhere in the universe does actually make sense, In my opinion I mean the Bible is about this planet and how it came to be, not other planets.  Besides what are the odds that anything would actually land on this planet considering space is expanding, and the planets are getting further away from eachother. Just my Opinion though.
That makes sense, yes, the Bible is all about Mankind's relationship with God, isn't it- the OT particularly, which is all about the people of Israel's relationship with God specifically.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#274    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,730 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:18 AM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 13 April 2013 - 10:51 PM, said:

Besides what are the odds that anything would actually land on this planet considering space is expanding, and the planets are getting further away from eachother.

In most cases yes however the Milky way is set to collide with the Andromeda galaxy which means that some galaxies/solar systems/planets are coming closer together. Don't don your apocalypse party hat just yet though, it's not going to happen for another 4 billion years.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#275    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,373 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:35 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 10 April 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

I was not in fear of marauding aliens, but thanks anyway.

I am not a US citizen. The US Government has no control over me. The US government has no control over China, Korea, The MIddle East, India or Vietnam, all capable of detecting Interstellar traffic into the US, and would not keep the US Governments "secret" under wraps.

The Government scenario just does not work on a global scale. Sorry. The entire might of the UN cannot stop France, Korea or Vietnam testing Nuclear Weapons, they cannot find some WMD's in the middle east, hell, they can't even ground the Sea Shepherd. No way I believe the Government claims, they make no sense at all.
I've been pondering what the Vietnamese authorities would do if they had contact with aliens the US was trying to keep secret (oh and thanks for giving me the idea).  Frankly I just don't know.  Nowadays they don't want to irritate the Americans too much, but at the same time they want to keep them at arm's length.  I guess it would depend on the reasons for the secrecy.  Fear of public panic would not hold any water with them for the simple reason that that scenario would not happen.  Maybe the aliens are rabid anti-Communists, but then why are the Americans keeping it secret?  Obvuiously if they are Communists the opposite of that coin would prevail.  Maybe the Americans are bribing everyone out their ear, but I don't think that looks doable.  Naw -- you are absolutely on target -- a secret like that just simply could not be kept.

#276    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,373 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 14 April 2013 - 07:18 AM, said:

In most cases yes however the Milky way is set to collide with the Andromeda galaxy which means that some galaxies/solar systems/planets are coming closer together. Don't don your apocalypse party hat just yet though, it's not going to happen for another 4 billion years.
You don't quite have that right; the exapnsion of space-time does not even become noticeable until you are at size ranges considerably beyond the nearer galaxies.  The stars and planets in the Milky Way are not getting further apart.

#277    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,373 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:41 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 14 April 2013 - 06:46 AM, said:

That makes sense, yes, the Bible is all about Mankind's relationship with God, isn't it- the OT particularly, which is all about the people of Israel's relationship with God specifically.
That the Bible would leave this out were it really from God is just incomprehensible.  You can rationalize all you want but if you had an ounce of intellectual honesty you would realize this.

#278    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,730 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:44 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 14 April 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

You don't quite have that right; the exapnsion of space-time does not even become noticeable until you are at size ranges considerably beyond the nearer galaxies.  The stars and planets in the Milky Way are not getting further apart.

You are quite right. I should have been more clear that expansion doesn't have as much of an affect in a localized area. Speaking on a universal scale though 'in most cases' still holds true.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#279    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

• 25,053 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 14 April 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

That the Bible would leave this out were it really from God is just incomprehensible.  You can rationalize all you want but if you had an ounce of intellectual honesty you would realize this.
hold on? " if you had an ounce of intellectual honesty you would realize this"? So I do not have intellectual honesty now, as well as everything else? :(

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

#280    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 14 April 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

There would be absolutely no reason to talk about beings on other planets in the bible, and besides the fact that space is so incredibly huge that running into an entity from another planet is a extremely low chance strictly because of the distance issue.

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#281    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,373 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

The Bible is "The Word of God," and it doesn't even mention these things?  It is beyond me that you can't see the absurdity, and I have to conclude that the religion overwhelms good sense and intellectual honesty.

#282    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

OK :tu:

#283    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

• 25,053 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

Why would the fact that there was life on (say) Gliese 539b be relevant in any way to the Israelites and their relationship with God? The Bible doesn't mention anything about the inhabitants of Britain or the Native Americans, because they weren't relevant to the subject.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh, 14 April 2013 - 04:02 PM.

H. P. Lovecraft.

#284    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

Im not really a religious person but I dont look down on religion, whatever works for that person is fine with me

#285    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,373 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

Yea that's a bit off where I was aiming.  Let me take another shot.

The religions of India all have the concept of deep time -- that the cosmos has been around eons upon eons upon eons (some texts get really carried away here).  They also almost all have the concept of world after world after world coming and going.  They all tend to suggest that thre was an actual "beginning," too.  Interesting how this lines up with modern cosmology, not in a scientifically convincing way but just enough to stimulate the little grey cells.  The Bible on the other hand has the four corners of the earth and a few thousand years of time.

I have no desire to get "into it" about the Bible.  I find it similar to getting into it with believers in Sasquatch or alien abductions, so I will leave it at that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users