Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Guillermo del Toro’s At The Mountains Of Mad

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Its still on he says

http://www.scifinow....ign=twitterfeed

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#2    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

:D this was my favorite Lovecraft story! I'm excited~ I like del Toro.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#3    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

View PostHasina, on 09 January 2013 - 07:02 PM, said:

:D this was my favorite Lovecraft story! I'm excited~ I like del Toro.
Yeah and if you ask me Its not really anything like Prometheus. LOL to be honost I was very disappointed with Prometheus

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#4    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,477 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Joy.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 09 January 2013 - 07:12 PM.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#5    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 09 January 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

Yeah and if you ask me Its not really anything like Prometheus. LOL to be honost I was very disappointed with Prometheus
Very much agreed! Prometheus stunk.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#6    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

I agree that Prometheus was not that superb, and in my opinion, explaining the Aliens lessens the fear of them.  It perhaps has the barest similarity to At the Mountains of Madness at best.  Looking forward to seeing a shoggoth on the big screen, particularly with the current IMAX 3D technology.  Of course it can not do a true shoggoth justice, I am sure they do not want the entire audience to go mad upon the first sight of one.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#7    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

Well this has brightened up my day. Lovecraft's greatest work amongst many masterpieces.

In the meantime I'd recommend this to tide folks over: http://www.selfmadeh...n=9781906838126

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#8    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

View PostInsanity, on 09 January 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

I agree that Prometheus was not that superb, and in my opinion, explaining the Aliens lessens the fear of them.  It perhaps has the barest similarity to At the Mountains of Madness at best.  Looking forward to seeing a shoggoth on the big screen, particularly with the current IMAX 3D technology.  Of course it can not do a true shoggoth justice, I am sure they do not want the entire audience to go mad upon the first sight of one.
Yeah and its like the article said At The Mountains of Madness did come first

#9    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:11 AM

If del Toro does this right, this could be the horror film of the decade or of the Millenium (not a hard feat to commit).

My anticipation is in the clouds! :tu:

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#10    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

View PostAmbush Bug, on 10 January 2013 - 02:11 AM, said:

If del Toro does this right, this could be the horror film of the decade or of the Millenium (not a hard feat to commit).

My anticipation is in the clouds! :tu:
Same here there have been Lovecraft movies but none of them are really that good in my opinion. Im super excited to see what Del Toro can come up with while directing it. I mean this could be a BIG deal like you said.

#11    Sixth

Sixth

Poltergeist

• 2,304 posts

• Scientists get funky about having their research poached

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

Ha, I'm reading this right now. Can't say I'm excited - Lovecraft creates such an atmosphere that there's really no need for a movie. Oh well. Del Toro doesn't suck so it might be interesting.

do your palms ever itch?

#12    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

View PostAramis, on 12 January 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

Ha, I'm reading this right now. Can't say I'm excited - Lovecraft creates such an atmosphere that there's really no need for a movie. Oh well. Del Toro doesn't suck so it might be interesting.
Thats just it Del Toro is pretty good at creating atmosphere, at least I think he is I mean look at the hellboy movies, but I just think if anyone could do justice to a Lovecraft story its Del Toro. Again just my opinion

#13    Sixth

Sixth

Poltergeist

• 2,304 posts

• Scientists get funky about having their research poached

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

Hellboy does not have the kind of atmosphere that this book does. In fact, I can't see any Lovecraft work translating to film that well. The books really can't be improved upon (and we all know Hollywood can't do a fricking adaptation to save their lives). But again, yes, Del Toro might be the man who will do the closest job resembling respect to the original work.

We should all keep in mind that this book is one that reeeeeeeeally highlights Lovecraft's racism and ideas about lower classes. I hope that it comes across in the movie. T'will be fun.

do your palms ever itch?

#14    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

• 2,521 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

LOL good ole racism, JK. Yeah it might not even be made to begin with so all we can do is hope

#15    Hasina

Hasina

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

I wonder who will act in it. Any guesses or hopes?

Posted Image

~MEH~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users