Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iraqi man 'filmed terror targets'

Crazy_Lemons

Iraqi man 'filmed terror targets'

Big Ben was featured on the video seized by police

An Iraqi man filmed video footage of potential targets for a terrorist attack on London, a court was told.

Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament and the London Eye were among the sights on tapes made by Rauf Mohammed, Woolwich Crown Court heard on Tuesday.

The recordings could be of use to someone "angered" by the West's action in his homeland, prosecutors said.

Mr Mohammed, 26, of Glenparke Road, Forest Gate, east London, denies making and possessing articles for terrorism.

He told police the two videos seized were "harmless" tourist souvenirs.

"He said he was a peace-loving man who admires our country's values," prosecutor Michael Taylor told the jury.

But counsel said: "Anyone planning an attack - a rocket attack or suicide bombing - needs to know the layout of his targets."

He told the court: "This is not a tourist video. Its purpose was to help terrorists plan and carry out an attack on our capital."

The court heard the footage was shot sometime before January 2005.

On one of the videos was a 2003 speech by Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, in which he discussed the current conflict in Iraq.

Mr Taylor told the jury: "You have to decide whether he kept this because he believed what Osama bin Laden was saying."

The trial continues.

sorce-http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5257070.stm

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coldethyl

• samanthauk23

• girty1600

• Crazy_Lemons

I think they better have a lot more evidence than just possible Tourists films.

If he has any terrorist links at all, fry him.

If he has any terrorist links at all, fry him.

hmmm... from what my Brit hubby tells me, the UK does not have the death penalty....

hmmm... from what my Brit hubby tells me, the UK does not have the death penalty....

Doesn't have to be the government..........

Doesn't have to be the government..........

Meh. I say just...put him in the hand of Pro-White groups in the US. They'll do worse, most likely.

Meh. I say just...put him in the hand of Pro-White groups in the US. They'll do worse, most likely.

Just Americans period. We're sick of this terrorist crap.

i think terrorisim is the only one to have it,am i right? :hmm:

Here in Algarve we had 3 muslism mans filming our Comercial Center (was one the best of Europe),then noone never seen them,this was a month before Euro 2004.

And until now it wasn't happened anything.

The good place for them to explode is the Palace of Bukingham where is the Royal Family.

Edited by Endymion

Here in Algarve we had 3 muslism mans filming our Comercial Center (was one the best of Europe),then noone never seen them,this was a month before Euro 2004.

And until now it wasn't happened anything.

The good place for them to explode is the Palace of Bukingham where is the Royal Family.

I do think things are looking bad for the genuine innocent muslims who are just trying to get along. Now that people are on edge all that some muslims have to do now is sneeze then everyone points and shouts terrorist.

Edited by chaoszerg

So now people aren't allowed to film buildings anymore? :hmm:

The video images themselves probably don't mean to much, but if there was any narration that went along with the film (and there are few silent movies made these days) it could definintely show the intent of the person who shot it.

I do think things are looking bad for the genuine innocent muslims who are just trying to get along. Now that people are on edge all that some muslims have to do now is sneeze then everyone points and shouts terrorist.

Here in Canada everytime something happens that puts a bad light on their religion they get mad and say "You don't understand us!" come and we will educate you. If they really want to stop being perceived as "indifferent" to extremists and gain societies trust, then they need to start being vocal against the terrorism and educate their own.

Edited by Shaftsbury

Its sad, isn't it? All this hate is fueled by fear. I'm not hateful but I am scared to death at times. I can't even understand why Eastern muslims would want to stay in the Western countries. At the very least I would be afraid a brick might come through my bedroom window or worse.

Here in Canada everytime something happens that puts a bad light on their religion they get mad and say "You don't understand us!" come and we will educate you. If they really want to stop being perceived as "indifferent" to extremists and gain societies trust, then they need to start being vocal against the terrorism and educate their own.

I know what you mean. I live in a college town that has about 10,000 Asian students each year. Its true. They will invite anyone who's interested to come in to their homes, mosques and lives. I wish these same people would stand up to terrorism and its roots. If there is ever to be an end to all this then I think it needs to come from them. Its becoming more obvious that the US efforts in Iraq are not producing and positive results.

i think terrorisim is the only one to have it,am i right? :hmm:

Nope - no death penalty here, period! The worst we can hope for is if we deport foreign offenders back to theor own country they may get the death penalty there, but if it's terrorist action they'll probably be welcomed back as heroes!

if it's terrorist action they'll probably be welcomed back as heroes!

At least from the violent minority they might. :(

So now people aren't allowed to film buildings anymore? :hmm:

The police would have more evidence than just filming to seize it, they don't have to tell the papers everything (and normally don't like to)....

I see people (of all nations) filming in London all the time, as I work there, hell, they even film the police and the police give them a wave, so I imagine there is more to this than an innocent souvenir....

At least from the violent minority they might. :(

I'm not so sure it's a minority back in their homeland.... saw a scary documentary the other day about training up young kids to have extremist values in the middle east....could have been the view of the documentary producers, but it didn't seem a minority thing....