Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New York synagogue attack

ozman

Did you guys hear of the New York synagogue attack? It was similar in style to the Jerusalem attack. A man stabbed a Jewish student from Israel in the head and he was shot dead by police.

http://www.telegraph...gue-attack.html

Omg, he just looked in the news one day and saw terrorists attacking Rabbis worshiping in a synagogue and decided to carry a similar attack in New York?

I hate seeing innocent people getting attacked but I have been lately thinking about why Israelis call anyone that attacks anyone inside Jerusalem a terrorist. Everytime I hear of a Palestinian man attacking someone, they always say he is a terrorist. What if he wasn't a terrorist and it was a domestic crime? Do they have such a defination as domestic crime inside Israel?

Edited by ozman

From what I gathered this guy just had serious mental issues. A lone wolf attack like this happened recently here in Canada.

I.E.: A guy with mental issues, fed up with his life here and probably accessing to radical Muslim websites decides to 'convert'. He does, they throw him out of the mosque because he's too radical, he's p***ed because of it and goes on to commit a crime "in the name of Islam".

I fear that it's a growing trend.

Though this quote was mocked to smithereens, it definitely applies here.

"Can't we all just get along?"

Sadly, the answer is no. :no:

• Like 1

From the article: "The suspect, Calvin Peters, 49, who has a history of mental illness."

Why is this even in the Middle East forum?

Edit: Is it just because that this attack was similar to another in Israel?

Edited by Likely Guy

My mind was in Israel when posting this and totally wasn't thinking of New York. This should be in USA.

From the article: "The suspect, Calvin Peters, 49, who has a history of mental illness."

Why is this even in the Middle East forum?

Edit: Is it just because that this attack was similar to another in Israel?

Did you guys hear of the New York synagogue attack? It was similar in style to the Jerusalem attack. A man stabbed a Jewish student from Israel in the head and he was shot dead by police.

http://www.telegraph...gue-attack.html

Omg, he just looked in the news one day and saw terrorists attacking Rabbis worshiping in a synagogue and decided to carry a similar attack in New York?

I hate seeing innocent people getting attacked but I have been lately thinking about why Israelis call anyone that attacks anyone inside Jerusalem a terrorist. Everytime I hear of a Palestinian man attacking someone, they always say he is a terrorist. What if he wasn't a terrorist and it was a domestic crime? Do they have such a defination as domestic crime inside Israel?

They seem to have made an assumption based on commonality. Not such a leap of logic to assume that stabbing a Jew in the head while he's in synagogue would be an act of terrorism. If it wasn't some sort of political statement then why attack him in synagogue? By that standard we would never make a distinction about such crimes until the trial was over. By erring on the side of caution we might just warn some other poor congregant somewhere else in the city to be on higher alert....
  • Like 1

They seem to have made an assumption based on commonality. Not such a leap of logic to assume that stabbing a Jew in the head while he's in synagogue would be an act of terrorism. If it wasn't some sort of political statement then why attack him in synagogue? By that standard we would never make a distinction about such crimes until the trial was over. By erring on the side of caution we might just warn some other poor congregant somewhere else in the city to be on higher alert....

I wasn't referring to the new york head stabbing as being called an act of terrorism but I was referring to stuff that happens in Jerusalem when a muslim man does something, they automatically say "terrorist".

I wasn't referring to the new york head stabbing as being called an act of terrorism but I was referring to stuff that happens in Jerusalem when a muslim man does something, they automatically say "terrorist".

I don't mean to sound condescending but since about 1967 the world has dealt with various levels of political terror that with few exceptions have been fueled by the "Palestinian" dilemma. The fact that most of the items you might see in the news that refers to such a Muslim on Jew (or other citizen) as "terror" might be due to the biases of those actually reporting it. I doubt that every local crime in Israel is called terrorism - even when it is a murder of Jew by Muslim. They have crime gangs in Israel as well and sometimes the murders are the same mundane crimes of passion all other humans are subject to commit.
  • Like 1

Terror breeds terror. I think the data for that is in, already. When we can figure it out how to stop excusing our favorite flavor(s) of it, it will end.

Terror breeds terror. I think the data for that is in, already. When we can figure it out how to stop excusing our favorite flavor(s) of it, it will end.

Nice thought but it doesn't line up with reality. That conflict will end when one side is CRUSHED. No other way.
  • Like 1

Nice thought but it doesn't line up with reality. That conflict will end when one side is CRUSHED. No other way.

Crushed like what? Vietnam? We dropped more bombs on Vietnam than were dropped in World War 2. We didn't crush anything. We can't even crush something when we have it pegged between narrow lines on a map. You think you can inflate this hate and whatever other scurrilous excuse for violence and defeat an enemy you can't even find? "Reality" check.

Crushed like what? Vietnam? We dropped more bombs on Vietnam than were dropped in World War 2. We didn't crush anything. We can't even crush something when we have it pegged between narrow lines on a map. You think you can inflate this hate and whatever other scurrilous excuse for violence and defeat an enemy you can't even find? "Reality" check.

Vietnam is a VERY poor analogy for this conflict Yam. That was first and foremost a political struggle. Politics in the Israeli Palestinian conflict is just a means to an end. You can refuse to accept the reality of the hatred between these two peoples but it does not make it disappear. And "we" aren't the ones who will be doing the crushing. When I say crushed I am not being metaphorical. I mean the total removal of one group or the other from the land by death. These two groups of people teach their children to hate the other practically from the cradle. The idea that there will ever be a political solution - imposed from without or not - is ridiculous and it will only bring on the next round of bloodletting.

Vietnam is a VERY poor analogy for this conflict Yam. That was first and foremost a political struggle. Politics in the Israeli Palestinian conflict is just a means to an end. You can refuse to accept the reality of the hatred between these two peoples but it does not make it disappear. And "we" aren't the ones who will be doing the crushing. When I say crushed I am not being metaphorical. I mean the total removal of one group or the other from the land by death. These two groups of people teach their children to hate the other practically from the cradle. The idea that there will ever be a political solution - imposed from without or not - is ridiculous and it will only bring on the next round of bloodletting.

It's not just Vietnam, we haven't "crushed" anyone since WW2. The reality of over 60 years of failed policy in the Middle East, with millions of dead innocent human beings in its wake, is the reality I unlike you don't refuse to accept.

If you want to stop people from hating you, stop making them. You thrive on the hatred narrative though, so clearly that's the last thing you want.

From what I gathered this guy just had serious mental issues. A lone wolf attack like this happened recently here in Canada.

I.E.: A guy with mental issues, fed up with his life here and probably accessing to radical Muslim websites decides to 'convert'. He does, they throw him out of the mosque because he's too radical, he's p***ed because of it and goes on to commit a crime "in the name of Islam".

I fear that it's a growing trend.

That is exactly what happened in the Sydney siege . Mental illness, rejected by his peers and easy access to radical Islamic websites . He used the name of Islam to commit a crime that would guarentee him maximum exposure