Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Theologian's Nightmare

Anomalocaris

Just for fun, this is a story written by Bertrand Russell, a philosopher, mathematician, logician and British writer winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature and known for his influence on analytic philosophy, his mathematical work and his social activism.

by Bertrand Russell

(from Fact and Fiction, 1961)

The eminent theologian Dr. Thaddeus dreamt that he died and pursued his course toward heaven. His studies had prepared him and he had no difficulty in finding the way. He knocked at the door of heaven, and was met with a closer scrutiny than he expected. "I ask admission," he said, "because I was a good man and devoted my life to the glory of God." "Man?" said the janitor, "What is that? And how could such a funny creature as you do anything to promote the glory of God?" Dr. Thaddeus was astonished. "You surely cannot be ignorant of man. You must be aware that man is the supreme work of the Creator." "As to that," said the janitor, "I am sorry to hurt your feelings, but what you're saying is news to me. I doubt if anybody up here has ever heard of this thing you call 'man.' However, since you seem distressed, you shall have a chance of consulting our librarian."

The librarian, a globular being with a thousand eyes and one mouth, bent some of his eyes upon Dr. Thaddeus. "What is this?" he asked the janitor. "This," replied the janitor, "says that it is a member of a species called 'man,' which lives in a place called 'Earth.' It has some odd notion that the Creator takes a special interest in this place and this species. I thought perhaps you could enlighten it." "Well," said the librarian kindly to the theologian, "perhaps you can tall me where this place is that you call 'Earth.'" "Oh," said the theologian, "it's part of the Solar System." "And what is the Solar System?" asked the librarian. "Oh," said the theologian, somewhat disconcerted, "my province was Sacred Knowledge, but the question that you are asking belongs to profane knowledge. However, I have learnt enough from my astronomical friends to be able to tell you that the Solar System is part of the Milky Way." "And what is the Milky Way?" asked the librarian. "Oh, the Milky Way is one of the Galaxies, of which, I am told, there are some hundred million." "Well, well," said the librarian, "you could hardly expect me to remember one out of so many. But I do remember to have heard the word galaxy' before. In fact, I believe that one of our sub-librarians specializes in galaxies. Let us send for him and see whether he can help."

After no very long time, the galactic sub-librarian made his appearance. In shape, he was a dodecahedron. It was clear that at one time his surface had been bright, but the dust of the shelves had rendered him dim and opaque. The librarian explained to him that Dr. Thaddeus, in endeavoring to account for his origin, had mentioned galaxies, and it was hoped that information could be obtained from the galactic section of the library. "Well," said the sub-librarian, "I suppose it might become possible in time, but as there are a hundred million galaxies, and each has a volume to itself, it takes some time to find any particular volume. Which is it that this odd molecule desires?" "It is the one called 'The Milky Way,'" Dr. Thaddeus falteringly replied. "All right," said the sub- librarian, "I will find it if I can."

Some three weeks later, he returned, explaining that the extraordinarily efficient card index in the galactic section of the library had enabled him to locate the galaxy as number QX 321,762. "We have employed," he said, "all the five thousand clerks in the galactic section on this search. Perhaps you would like to see the clerk who is specially concerned with the galaxy in question?" The clerk was sent for and turned out to be an octahedron with an eye in each face and a mouth in one of them. He was surprised and dazed to find himself in such a glittering region, away from the shadowy limbo of his shelves. Pulling himself together, he asked, rather shyly, "What is it you wish to know about my galaxy?" Dr. Thaddeus spoke up: "What I want is to know about the Solar System, a collection of heavenly bodies revolving about one of the stars in your galaxy. The star about which they revolve is called 'the Sun.'" "Humph," said the librarian of the Milky Way, "it was hard enough to hit upon the right galaxy, but to hit upon the right star in the galaxy is far more difficult. I know that there are about three hundred billion stars in the galaxy, but I have no knowledge, myself, that would distinguish one of them from another. I believe, however, that at one time a list of the whole three hundred billion was demanded by the Administration and that it is still stored in the basement. If you think it worth while, I will engage special labor from the Other Place to search for this particular star."

It was agreed that, since the question had arisen and since Dr. Thaddeus was evidently suffering some distress, this might be the wisest course.

Several years later, a very weary and dispirited tetrahedron presented himself before the galactic sub-librarian. "I have," he said, "at last discovered the particular star concerning which inquiries have been made, but I am quite at a loss to imagine why it has aroused any special interest. It closely resembles a great many other stars in the same galaxy. It is of average size and temperature, and is surrounded by very much smaller bodies called 'planets.' After minute investigation, I discovered that some, at least, of these planets have parasites, and I think that this thing which has been making inquiries must be one of them."

At this point, Dr. Thaddeus burst out in a passionate and indignant lament: "Why, oh why, did the Creator conceal from us poor inhabitants of Earth that it was not we who prompted Him to create the Heavens? Throughout my long life, I have served Him diligently, believing that He would notice my service and reward me with Eternal Bliss. And now, it seems that He was not even aware that I existed. You tell me that I am an infinitesimal animalcule on a tiny body revolving round an insignificant member of a collection of three hundred billion stars, which is only one of many millions of such collections. I cannot bear it, and can no longer adore my Creator." "Very well," said the janitor, "then you can go to the Other Place." Here the theologian awoke.

"The power of Satan over our sleeping imagination is terrifying," he muttered.

• Like 5

The story is probably correct.

• Like 1

Just for fun, this is a story written by Bertrand Russell, a philosopher, mathematician, logician and British writer winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature and known for his influence on analytic philosophy, his mathematical work and his social activism.

by Bertrand Russell

(from Fact and Fiction, 1961)

The eminent theologian Dr. Thaddeus dreamt that he died and pursued his course toward heaven. His studies had prepared him and he had no difficulty in finding the way. He knocked at the door of heaven, and was met with a closer scrutiny than he expected. "I ask admission," he said, "because I was a good man and devoted my life to the glory of God."

I know this is just a story intended to make a point, but Bertrand Russell's portrayal of an "eminent theologian" suggests little in the way of theology. In mainstream Protestant theology (and considering Russell was born and lived in the United Kingdom I'm going to assume his discourse was towards the Church of England, rather than the Roman Catholic, which may be a different matter), if you were to appear before the judgement seat of God and say "I ask admission because I was a good man and devoted my life to God's glory", the Bible God would not allow that person in. The protestant idea of God would say "no one is good but God alone, you trust your own goodness about that of Jesus' sacrifice. Begone".

But as I said, this is rather a minor point, since the concept of the story is not about the specific theology but the place of man within the universe. Nevertheless, having an interest in protestant theology I felt I needed to get that off my chest first.

"Man?" said the janitor, "What is that? And how could such a funny creature as you do anything to promote the glory of God?" Dr. Thaddeus was astonished. "You surely cannot be ignorant of man. You must be aware that man is the supreme work of the Creator." "As to that," said the janitor, "I am sorry to hurt your feelings, but what you're saying is news to me. I doubt if anybody up here has ever heard of this thing you call 'man.' However, since you seem distressed, you shall have a chance of consulting our librarian."

The librarian, a globular being with a thousand eyes and one mouth, bent some of his eyes upon Dr. Thaddeus. "What is this?" he asked the janitor. "This," replied the janitor, "says that it is a member of a species called 'man,' which lives in a place called 'Earth.' It has some odd notion that the Creator takes a special interest in this place and this species. I thought perhaps you could enlighten it." "Well," said the librarian kindly to the theologian, "perhaps you can tall me where this place is that you call 'Earth.'" "Oh," said the theologian, "it's part of the Solar System." "And what is the Solar System?" asked the librarian. "Oh," said the theologian, somewhat disconcerted, "my province was Sacred Knowledge, but the question that you are asking belongs to profane knowledge. However, I have learnt enough from my astronomical friends to be able to tell you that the Solar System is part of the Milky Way." "And what is the Milky Way?" asked the librarian. "Oh, the Milky Way is one of the Galaxies, of which, I am told, there are some hundred million." "Well, well," said the librarian, "you could hardly expect me to remember one out of so many. But I do remember to have heard the word galaxy' before. In fact, I believe that one of our sub-librarians specializes in galaxies. Let us send for him and see whether he can help."

After no very long time, the galactic sub-librarian made his appearance. In shape, he was a dodecahedron. It was clear that at one time his surface had been bright, but the dust of the shelves had rendered him dim and opaque. The librarian explained to him that Dr. Thaddeus, in endeavoring to account for his origin, had mentioned galaxies, and it was hoped that information could be obtained from the galactic section of the library. "Well," said the sub-librarian, "I suppose it might become possible in time, but as there are a hundred million galaxies, and each has a volume to itself, it takes some time to find any particular volume. Which is it that this odd molecule desires?" "It is the one called 'The Milky Way,'" Dr. Thaddeus falteringly replied. "All right," said the sub- librarian, "I will find it if I can."

Some three weeks later, he returned, explaining that the extraordinarily efficient card index in the galactic section of the library had enabled him to locate the galaxy as number QX 321,762. "We have employed," he said, "all the five thousand clerks in the galactic section on this search. Perhaps you would like to see the clerk who is specially concerned with the galaxy in question?" The clerk was sent for and turned out to be an octahedron with an eye in each face and a mouth in one of them. He was surprised and dazed to find himself in such a glittering region, away from the shadowy limbo of his shelves. Pulling himself together, he asked, rather shyly, "What is it you wish to know about my galaxy?" Dr. Thaddeus spoke up: "What I want is to know about the Solar System, a collection of heavenly bodies revolving about one of the stars in your galaxy. The star about which they revolve is called 'the Sun.'" "Humph," said the librarian of the Milky Way, "it was hard enough to hit upon the right galaxy, but to hit upon the right star in the galaxy is far more difficult. I know that there are about three hundred billion stars in the galaxy, but I have no knowledge, myself, that would distinguish one of them from another. I believe, however, that at one time a list of the whole three hundred billion was demanded by the Administration and that it is still stored in the basement. If you think it worth while, I will engage special labor from the Other Place to search for this particular star."

It was agreed that, since the question had arisen and since Dr. Thaddeus was evidently suffering some distress, this might be the wisest course.

Several years later, a very weary and dispirited tetrahedron presented himself before the galactic sub-librarian. "I have," he said, "at last discovered the particular star concerning which inquiries have been made, but I am quite at a loss to imagine why it has aroused any special interest. It closely resembles a great many other stars in the same galaxy. It is of average size and temperature, and is surrounded by very much smaller bodies called 'planets.' After minute investigation, I discovered that some, at least, of these planets have parasites, and I think that this thing which has been making inquiries must be one of them."

At this point, Dr. Thaddeus burst out in a passionate and indignant lament: "Why, oh why, did the Creator conceal from us poor inhabitants of Earth that it was not we who prompted Him to create the Heavens? Throughout my long life, I have served Him diligently, believing that He would notice my service and reward me with Eternal Bliss. And now, it seems that He was not even aware that I existed. You tell me that I am an infinitesimal animalcule on a tiny body revolving round an insignificant member of a collection of three hundred billion stars, which is only one of many millions of such collections. I cannot bear it, and can no longer adore my Creator." "Very well," said the janitor, "then you can go to the Other Place." Here the theologian awoke.

"The power of Satan over our sleeping imagination is terrifying," he muttered.

The last sentence in particular is quite interesting. It changes the entire nature of the parable. Up to the final sentence what we have is a narrative about the enormity of the universe, the sheer scope of it, that if higher beings exist that they may barely even know we exist (if that), and the arrogance of man in elevating themselves up as special. The last sentence changes it all from that, into a parable about the nature of closed-minded faith, that despite being shown something amazing, the closed-minded would rather denounce it as the work of Satan rather than entertain the enormity of what is in front of us. I for one would have found the whole thing more profound if the last sentence were chopped, that it ended with Dr Thaddeus waking up and staring out at the stars.

Just my opinion.

• Like 4

PA

We agree that it would be fair to suppose that any educated Englishman who was interested in religion would be familiar with the Anglican 39 Articles.

http://anglicansonli...e_articles.html

Article 12 provides as follows:

"Albeit that good works, which are the fruits of faith, and follow after justification, cannot put away sins, and endure the severity of God's judgemnet; yet are they pleasing and acceptable to God in Christ, and do spring out necessarily of a true and lively faith; insomuch that by them a lively faith may be as evidently known as a tree discerned by the fruit."

That does not recite a Catholic position on good works, but also doesn't conflict with the action in the story. The theologian is speaking with a janitor (and so, unless we adopt the theology of Bruce Jay Friedmnan's Steambath, not speaking with God) and the line is spoken at the door of the celestial realm, not at "the judgment seat of God."

The theologian wishes to persuade the janitor, a fellow creature, that the theologian is worthy of help to proceed along his way. It is entirely appropriate that the theologian would offer evidence to his fellow creature so that the theologian's "lively faith" may be "evidently known.".

The story was written by a mathematician, someone who valued proof when making fact-statements According to the quoted matter above, the form of proof which the theologican offers is fully consistent with Anglican doctrine.

I suppose it goes without saying that I am fonder of the story's last sentence than you are.

PA

We agree that it would be fair to suppose that any educated Englishman who was interested in religion would be familiar with the Anglican 39 Articles.

http://anglicansonli...e_articles.html

Article 12 provides as follows:

That does not recite a Catholic position on good works, but also doesn't conflict with the action in the story. The theologian is speaking with a janitor (and so, unless we adopt the theology of Bruce Jay Friedmnan's Steambath, not speaking with God) and the line is spoken at the door of the celestial realm, not at "the judgment seat of God."

The theologian wishes to persuade the janitor, a fellow creature, that the theologian is worthy of help to proceed along his way. It is entirely appropriate that the theologian would offer evidence to his fellow creature so that the theologian's "lively faith" may be "evidently known.".

The story was written by a mathematician, someone who valued proof when making fact-statements According to the quoted matter above, the form of proof which the theologican offers is fully consistent with Anglican doctrine.

The quote you referenced refers to good works being fruits of the faith. I have no problem with that. However, the hypothetical Dr Thaddeus called himself "a good man", something anathema to protestant Christianity. Being a "good man" and "being a man who does good deeds" are not interchangeable statements in protestant theology. I was in the Anglican system for 13 and a half of my fifteen years as a Christian, while I'm no expert on every jot and tittle of Anglican law, every sermon on works and faith and "doing good deeds" was accompanied with the assertion that no one is good.

Though this does bring up an alternate interpretation of the parable (assuming we ignore the final sentence). Perhaps God wanted to test the righteous man by bringing him to the servants, the lowly who do the daily chores. Dr Thaddeus, confident in his own righteousness tells the servant "Take me to the master, for I am a good man who has done many deeds and served God faithfully". What if, instead, he were to say "I am a sinner, I have done many wrongs through my life, but by the Grace of God I am here this day, what shall I now do to praise God"? In an instant the scene changes, the servant turns out to have a couple of holes through each of his hands, as Jesus turns and embraces Thaddeus as a brother and heir to the kingdom.

Sure, it's bastardising the meaning of the parable, but you get that sometimes, I suppose. As I said, the exact theology behind the statement is not really the point of the parable, so moving on to the other point you raised :)

I suppose it goes without saying that I am fonder of the story's last sentence than you are.

It's not that I don't "like" the ending, I just think it cheapens what was a great parable about the hugeness of the universe. But instead of being about that, the parable is about "get away from me Satan, my faith is strong in the Lord".
  • Like 1

Dr. Thaddeus must have gotten his degree in theology from a very questionable website.

• Like 3

PA

Part of the scriptural foundation for Article 12 is Luke 6: 45,

A good person out of the store of goodness in his heart makes good, but an evil person out of a store of evil produces evil; from the fullness of the heart the mouth speaks.

The Greek for good is the same here as in Jesus' remark about God at Luke 18:19, agathos. If Luke can speak of a good person based on his or her making good, then so can the fictional theologian. The Greek quoted does not restrict the making good only to speech, but it is interesting that words are probably the sort of good that the threologian would have felt he had brought forth.

I just think it cheapens what was a great parable about the hugeness of the universe.

I don't think the hugeness of the universe is what made the dream a nightmare for the theologian.

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 1

I think realizing that he wasn't as important as he thought he was, was the reason for calling it a nightmare.

• Like 3

I don't think the hugeness of the universe is what made the dream a nightmare for the theologian.

Yes, it seems that the theologian has at least a small notion about how big is the universe. However, after discovering how insignificant it is humanity, besides the fact that these surreal beings don't know who we are, his disappointment was imminent.

• Like 1

It is not a religious story. It is a science fiction /fantasy story (until the last few lines ) Then, as PA points out, it changes the emphasis/ perspective. You could read a lot of things into it which is not surprising given the author. It is clever and well written But it does exhibit contextual fallacies which we can see come from the attitude of the author. It mixes religious belief and a "real" scientific world/universe which is NOT connected to the belief. (otherwise the theologian would have been recognised immediately.) It is about the author's attitude to humanity and to religion. To explain another contextual anomaly. How did the theologian find "heaven" and how did he access it. If he could do that, then any knowledgeable person from within that far superior civilization would know where he came from and how he got there.

I think the theologian (unsurprisingly ) demonstrated some of Russel's own wisdom/philosophy in the last line. Indeed, a recognition of how our mind influences and shapes our dreams, in response to our beliefs. There was a lot of ironical humour in that concluding line, and it also demonstrates some skill as a story teller to add such a strong "twist in the tale."

PA

Part of the scriptural foundation for Article 12 is Luke 6: 45,

The Greek for good is the same here as in Jesus' remark about God at Luke 18:19, agathos. If Luke can speak of a good person based on his or her making good, then so can the fictional theologian. The Greek quoted does not restrict the making good only to speech, but it is interesting that words are probably the sort of good that the threologian would have felt he had brought forth.

The text still refers to a good man in the sense of the works that he performed. There can be people who do good things, and we would call them "good people". However, as a justification for entering heaven (for that is what the theologian was dreaming about, what he thought was entering heaven) there can be no "bring me before God because I am a good man who has done great deeds". Such an attitude is the first step down the path of "justification by works" rather than faith.

The theologian is just a figment of Bertrand Russell's mind, a vehicle for Russell to tell his own story. The only reason it was a "nightmare" is because Russell deemed that it was a nightmare. If I had that dream I wouldn't find it nightmarish. Maybe I'd even get the Beatles to do a Yellow Submarine on it, it's a little trippy, but not nightmarish. As I said, I just think the story was more powerful without the theologian muttering under his breath about the power of Satan. But that's just me, it's how the story comes across to me, and I find the story a little diminished because of it. Again, that's just me.

PA

The text still refers to a good man in the sense of the works that he performed. There can be people who do good things, and we would call them "good people".

Which is what happened in the story, A human being, one of that "we" you mentioned, speaking informally with another creature, described a human being as a good person. So did Jesus, according to Luke. So what?

It is clear that Jesus meant one thing by "good" in one saying, and another thing in another saying. Russell's theologian likewise meant one thing when asking directions from a janitor and would mean something else when teaching a class or receiving the judgment of God..

The theologian did not comment on whether he was "justified" by his works.There is nothing in his informal remark that excludes him from the Anglican Communion, for the reasons explained in an earlier post.

The only reason it was a "nightmare" is because Russell deemed that it was a nightmare.

No, it is conventional to refer to an emotionally disturbing dream, especially one from which the dreamer awakes, as a "nightmare." The dreamer is depicted as discovering that both his life and his afterlife were very different than he had supposed. That a dream would offer an opposing stance to the dreamer's waking stance is psychologically realistic. That's the story Russell tells.

If I had that dream I wouldn't find it nightmarish.

Well, good. Oh dear, there's that word again. Doh. Anyway, when reading a story, we are often asked to try to understand how things look from the character's perspective, even when it differs from our own. The story character did awake in distress, and did cope with his distress by entertaining the thought Russell mentions. Our task as readers is to understand why the character was distressed and why that thought helped the character cope.

PA

Which is what happened in the story, A human being, one of that "we" you mentioned, speaking informally with another creature, described a human being as a good person. So did Jesus, according to Luke. So what?

It is clear that Jesus meant one thing by "good" in one saying, and another thing in another saying. Russell's theologian likewise meant one thing when asking directions from a janitor and would mean something else when teaching a class or receiving the judgment of God..

The theologian did not comment on whether he was "justified" by his works.There is nothing in his informal remark that excludes him from the Anglican Communion, for the reasons explained in an earlier post.

The opening sentence of the sequence notes that Dr Thaddeus dreamt that he died and had gone beyond this world. Regardless of whether he was speaking to a janitor or not, he knew he was in the nether-world. In fact, his opening statement to the janitor confirmed this, as he announced he wanted to see God on account of him being a good person. In protestant theology, whether or not a person does good deeds, when confronted with the question of salvation the answer is always "I am a sinner who does not deserve this". Dr Thaddeus does not come off as such, instead he comes across as "I should get to see God because I have done all these good things".

Which brings me back to the alternate (albeit, wrong) interpretation of the dream - would things have been different if Dr Thaddeus had told the janitor "I am a sinner... what must I now do", rather than rely on his own self-righteousness. And as has been said, this isn't the point of the parable, so it's not really helpful to even dwell on it.

No, it is conventional to refer to an emotionally disturbing dream, especially one from which the dreamer awakes, as a "nightmare." The dreamer is depicted as discovering that both his life and his afterlife were very different than he had supposed. That a dream would offer an opposing stance to the dreamer's waking stance is psychologically realistic. That's the story Russell tells.

Well, good. Oh dear, there's that word again. Doh. Anyway, when reading a story, we are often asked to try to understand how things look from the character's perspective, even when it differs from our own. The story character did awake in distress, and did cope with his distress by entertaining the thought Russell mentions. Our task as readers is to understand why the character was distressed and why that thought helped the character cope.

But the dreamer here is a figment of Russell's mind, so what he concludes is what he decided his character would decide. And as said, I think it would have been far more powerful had the story been left hanging, with Dr Thaddeus staring out at the night sky, wondering, questioning. But as I have said (this is about the third time now, I think), this is just how I see it. Others might see it differently.
  • Like 1

PA

Regardless of whether he was speaking to a janitor or not, he knew he was in the nether-world.

There is no whether. He was speaking to a janitor.

In protestant theology, whether or not a person does good deeds, when confronted with the question of salvation the answer is always "I am a sinner who does not deserve this".

He is not confronted with the question of salvation. He is confronted with the question of why any fellow creature in the dream should care about him at all.

Dr Thaddeus does not come off as such, instead he comes across as "I should get to see God because I have done all these good things".

You seem to have backed off from Thaddeus claiming salvation for his works, to him claiming he deserves to be judged for that reason (just as Article 12 says that works are fit matters for God's judgment). Next stop? My position: he is trying to enlist the assistance of a fellow creature, by claiming that he is worthy of help. Not a word about what happens if and when he gets to meet God, which doesn't happen in the story.

... would things have been different if Dr Thaddeus had told the janitor "I am a sinner... what must I now do", ...

Beats me. What could the janitor do differently besides pass him along to somebody who might be able to give him some help?

Others might see it differently.

Including a Nobel laureate in literature. I have symapthy for the reader with literary ambition who imagines "With the same materials, I could have written a better story." OK, then do that. Meanwhile, Russell has wirtten his story and he makes a different point than you would.

Edited by eight bits

PA

There is no whether. He was speaking to a janitor.

He is not confronted with the question of salvation. He is confronted with the question of why any fellow creature in the dream should care about him at all.

You seem to have backed off from Thaddeus claiming salvation for his works, to him claiming he deserves to be judged for that reason (just as Article 12 says that works are fit matters for God's judgment). Next stop? My position: he is trying to enlist the assistance of a fellow creature, by claiming that he is worthy of help. Not a word about what happens if and when he gets to meet God, which doesn't happen in the story.

Beats me. What could the janitor do differently besides pass him along to somebody who might be able to give him some help?

Including a Nobel laureate in literature. I have symapthy for the reader with literary ambition who imagines "With the same materials, I could have written a better story." OK, then do that. Meanwhile, Russell has wirtten his story and he makes a different point than you would.

I don't think you are quite understanding my point, 8bits. Whether the creature is the janitor or not, Thaddeus recognises that he is in the afterlife. And despite recognising where he is he still appeals to his good deeds as reason for the creature to help him. No Protestant who truly understands salvation by Grace would speak even to a janitor in the afterlife about how good they were in life.
  • Like 1

PA

Whether the creature is the janitor or not, Thaddeus recognises that he is in the afterlife.

And despite recognising where he is he still appeals to his good deeds as reason for the creature to help him.

Presumably the idea that God is unimpressed with works was worth teaching in part because many creatures are impressed with good works.

Conclude: if I am looking for a favor from a Protestant's God, then I'd better keep my good works to myself. On the other hand, if I am looking for a favor from a fellow creature, then I might find that mentioning a few good things about me helps to oil the machinery. BTW, this strategy was effective in the story, the janitor did exert himself on Thaddeus' behalf.

No Protestant who truly understands salvation by Grace would speak even to a janitor in the afterlife about how good they were in life.

Is there some Biblical verse you could point to that covers the protocol for soliciting travel directions from janitors in the afetrlife?

Edited by eight bits