Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

MPs banned from eating scrambled eggs

scrambled eggs omelettes house of commons chefs mps

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,331 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

MPs were at the centre of a new food scare last night after the Commons banned traditional scrambled eggs and omelettes – because they are ‘too dangerous’.

Chefs at the House of Commons are now forbidden to make two of the most popular light meals in Britain with fresh eggs on the grounds that they could be contaminated with salmonella or other bugs.

MPs at Westminster can still order scrambled egg or omelette, but they will be made with liquid pasteurised egg from Holland instead.

http://www.dailymail...mbled-eggs.html

Posted Image

#2    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,562 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

oh Mr Fawkes, where are you when we need you....?
they should be more concerned with being pelted with eggs rather than eating them, as a certain Mr Milliband will attest to, but they obviously don't realise that banning eggs in parliament just gives us more ammunition outside of it.
silly mummy's boys.....

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

#3    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsuitable for large vehicles

• 24,835 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

It doesn't make clear who decided on this absurdity; it says "A Commons spokeswoman", so does that mean it was the house of Commons itself that decided it? it sounds very much like another of these stories where either "Brussels" or "Health & Safety" get blamed, but it turns out it's some absurd little jobsworth within their own organisation interpreting guidelines ludicrously over-zealously once again.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#4    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

has a cape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:50 PM

but... scrambled eggs cooked properly should be well outside of the temperature danger zone*! just how runny are they cooking these things normally?

*i wish i had more opportunities to use my serv-safe certification

#5    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,540 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:06 AM

If there was one group that noone'd care if they got gastro, it'd be the self-serving politicians.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#6    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,847 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

I'd be less surprised at the news that politicians had been banned from eating pork - it borders on cannibalism!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#7    shrooma

shrooma

doesn't have one screw fully tightened.....

• 3,562 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

nice to see you back Ealdwita!
hope you've took some photos....?
:-)

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on due to your lack of understanding.

#8    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

Why do they have to import the eggs from Holland?...nobody makes pasteurized liquid eggs in the UK?

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#9    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,697 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

If the eggs are properly washed at the farm, properly cooked before serving and there is correct food handling, it's rarely a problem.

A story from my long ago high school days: Our chemistry teacher, who was a tiny, wiry bald-headed guy once told the class that he couldn't wait for lunch, his wife had made him a tongue sandwich. Someone in the class asked what that was and he said, "It's made from cow's tongue, and it's delicious!" There was sort of a collected "Ewwww" from the class so he asked, "What's the matter with that?" The students replied, "Ewwww, you eat something that comes out of an animal's mouth?" The chemistry teacher wryly replied, "You eat eggs, don't you?"

Good point!

#10    Aggie

Aggie

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

View PostSundew, on 19 August 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

If the eggs are properly washed at the farm, properly cooked before serving and there is correct food handling, it's rarely a problem.

A story from my long ago high school days: Our chemistry teacher, who was a tiny, wiry bald-headed guy once told the class that he couldn't wait for lunch, his wife had made him a tongue sandwich. Someone in the class asked what that was and he said, "It's made from cow's tongue, and it's delicious!" There was sort of a collected "Ewwww" from the class so he asked, "What's the matter with that?" The students replied, "Ewwww, you eat something that comes out of an animal's mouth?" The chemistry teacher wryly replied, "You eat eggs, don't you?"

Good point!

lol at your high school pals!!

And I agree with your former teacher: picked cow tongue is delicious!

No matter what happens....never stop believing in people.....never stop believing in love♥♥

#11    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,697 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

View PostAggie, on 19 August 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

lol at your high school pals!!

And I agree with your former teacher: picked cow tongue is delicious!

Never had the pleasure myself, it just doesn't moooove me, lol!

#12    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,847 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:04 PM

View Postshrooma, on 19 August 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

nice to see you back Ealdwita!
hope you've took some photos....?
:-)

Thanks shrooma. Photos on their way soonest.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#13    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsuitable for large vehicles

• 24,835 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostAggie, on 19 August 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

Why do they have to import the eggs from Holland?...nobody makes pasteurized liquid eggs in the UK?
i should hope not. Sounds ghastly. Does it include any actual Egg, i wonder, or is it all made from lovely healthy artificial ingredients in a factory in the Hague?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users