Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Celebrating summer solstice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    sublime_serenity75

sublime_serenity75

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:23 AM

June 21st is upon us, and I'm pondering what I will do to celebrate the solstice with my family.  I've found innumberable sites on the net regarding it's history and various other names, but I'm looking more towards ceremonies that people carry out.  

This is from Selena Fox & the website Circle Sanctuary

Stay up all night on Solstice Eve and welcome the rising Sun at dawn. Make a pledge to Mother Earth of something that you will do to improve the environment and then begin carrying it out. Have a magical gift exchange with friends. Burn your Yule wreath in a Summer Solstice bonfire. Exchange songs, chants, and stories with others in person or through the mail. Do ecstatic dancing to drums around a blazing bonfire.

-Source

Do you practice any of these?  What other things do you do to celebrate the solstice?   grin2.gif  grin2.gif

No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical
ss's hangout

#2    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,775 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 13 June 2005 - 01:53 PM

My Pagan group is going to have a noon time celebration. I am not exactly sure what we are doing other than it is African.  I wanted to do it at dawn but for some reason nobody want to do that.  sleepy.gif

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#3    TaintedDoughnuts

TaintedDoughnuts

Voted Most Original Username 2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

• Moo.

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:05 PM

i never really thought about celebrating the solstice... maybe ill spend some time with my family original.gif

#4    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 13 June 2005 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE(TaintedDoughnuts @ Jun 13 2005, 06:05 PM)
i never really thought about celebrating the solstice... maybe ill spend some time with my family original.gif

View Post

It's a natury pagan celebration called Midsummer or Litha...

http://members.tripod.com/ladyshadowfeather/id30.html  here's some info on it.

As for me, depending on the day before is... I might see about seeing some friends.  Good news of bad... I'll try very hard to see some friends...

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#5    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,917 posts

• Paranoid Android... One Mippippi, two Mippippi, three Mippipi....

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:44 PM

It's winter down-under.  No summer solstice for us.

But there is a festival known as "Winter Magic" out in the Blue Mountains on the outskirts of Sydney, held during the winter solstice.  I normally go there.  It's basically one big festival where people try to sell you stuff at highly inflated prices, but I have friends out that way, and it's an excuse to go and see them.  

Besides, who can pass up the chance to get drunk, pass out in sub-zero temperatures and die of hypothermia

Edit - grammar

Edited by BFG, 14 June 2005 - 02:45 PM.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users