Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Republicans Make Up 6 Of The Top Ten Porkers

Lt_Ripley

the Top 10 Earmarks

Byrd (D-WV) - $122,804,900

Shelby (R-AL) - $114,484,250

Bond (R-MO) - $85,691,491

Feinstein (D-CA) - $76,899,425

Cochran (R-MS) - $75,908,475

Murkowski (R-AK) - $74,000,750

Harkin (D-IA) - $66,860,000

Inhofe (R-OK) - $53,133,500

McConnell (R-KY) - $51,186,000

Inouye (D-HI) - $46,380,205

Feingold, Ryan back presidential line item veto

By HENRY C. JACKSON | Associated Press Writer

12:21 PM CST, March 4, 2009

WASHINGTON - Democratic Sen. Russ Feingold and Republican Rep. Paul Ryan formed an unlikely partnership on Wednesday, coming together to push Congress to pass line item veto legislation.

The legislation would give President Barack Obama the power to strike individual items from budget bills.

The Wisconsin lawmakers joined Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona at a press conference on Wednesday to introduce the legislation.

"Look, neither party has cornered the market on virtue when it comes to spending," said Ryan, who is the ranking member of the House Budget Committee. "... We've got 9,000 earmarks that the House passed last week, $7.7 billion. 4,000 of those earmarks are from Republicans. So it's not as if one party is doing this well and one is not. both parties have contributed to the mess we have."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-...0,2204339.story

note - FYI , The spending bill before Congress contains 9,000 earmarks, accounting for a tiny fraction of the bill's total cost. That's under a Democratic president. In 2006, a Republican budget had 12,000 earmarks.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AROCES

• ninjadude

• __Kratos__

• Bez

Top Posters In This Topic

List of Republicans just by party affiliation, not thru ideology when it comes to economics.

Anyway, who gets to sign and approve all these?

Edited by AROCES

List of Republicans just by party affiliation, not thru ideology when it comes to economics.

Anyway, who gets to sign and approve all these?

The Lt. just likes to turn even a non-partisan issue into one whenever possible. Bottom line is, this "earmark" crap has gone on for decades, and no one party is alone in it's guilt. Individuals do it if it's in teh best interest of their constituents, and sometimes if it's in their PERSONAL best interest.

It should be stopped, and it shouldn't even be a "line item" veto thing. That just gives a president the ability to choose what pork to keep.

I think ripley works for the Dems to give Repubs anti-PR. It's kinda sad...

The list only proves to me that not all Republicans are fiscal conservatives. In fact many of them are not.

note - FYI , The spending bill before Congress contains 9,000 earmarks, accounting for a tiny fraction of the bill's total cost. That's under a Democratic president. In 2006, a Republican budget had 12,000 earmarks.

He told reporters at his transition office that his package will set a "new higher standard of accountability, transparency and oversight. We are going to ban all earmarks, the process by which individual members insert projects without review."

Source

So Obama only lied to us 9,000 times instead of 12,000 times.

Edited by __Kratos__

I think ripley works for the Dems to give Repubs anti-PR. It's kinda sad...

i thought republicans handled that sort of thing themselves.. they dont need ripleys help. :lol:

what he should be doing is showing us how obama is really a republican in disguise.

He told reporters at his transition office that his package will set a "new higher standard of accountability, transparency and oversight. We are going to ban all earmarks, the process by which individual members insert projects without review."

Source

So Obama only lied to us 9,000 times instead of 12,000 times.

again you are talking about TWO different bills. The Stimulus bill that was already signed has no earmarks and that is what the source article that you were referencing was talking about. The 9000 earmarks is a different budget bill for the working government. They are COMPLETELY different bills. Please get your facts straight.

again you are talking about TWO different bills. The Stimulus bill that was already signed has no earmarks and that is what the source article that you were referencing was talking about. The 9000 earmarks is a different budget bill for the working government. They are COMPLETELY different bills. Please get your facts straight.

The point wasn't for the bills but for the earmarks comment and how there are still earmarks being pushed through...

The point wasn't for the bills but for the earmarks comment and how there are still earmarks being pushed through...

The earmarks comment was about the Stimulus bill and it indeed has none. Regardless of the republicans whining about earmarks and pork and special projects The other bill, the spending bill does have 9000 earmarks. And most of those earmarks come from republicans as Ripley's article points out. In fact, the very republicans that whined about them in the Stimulus bill.

IMO. In the current economy it does not seem to be helpful to stop any spending that would help the economy. I think Obama thinks this too.

The earmarks comment was about the Stimulus bill and it indeed has none. Regardless of the republicans whining about earmarks and pork and special projects The other bill, the spending bill does have 9000 earmarks. And most of those earmarks come from republicans as Ripley's article points out. In fact, the very republicans that whined about them in the Stimulus bill.

IMO. In the current economy it does not seem to be helpful to stop any spending that would help the economy. I think Obama thinks this too.

It really doesn't matter where they came from or who put them in there, it's the fact that Obama said he was going to crack down on them and yet, they're still flowing from both sides seemly without pause.

It also doesn't help in the current economy to throw money around without regard to the impact it will have. I somehow doubt Obama is going to go line to line, page to page reviewing each one over.

I'm glad I voted for Feingold, he loves to stir the pot and now he's standing with bipartisan support against these wastes.

Seriously, Ripley, your continuous ignorant diatribes against Republicans and Conservatives are starting to get really annoying. I'm actually thinking about leaving the forum because of all the ignorant conspiracy-theorist America/Bush/Republican/Conservative/Israel-haters here.

Who passed the stimulus bill? Democrat Congress

And who signed and approved it? Democrat President

Seriously, Ripley, your continuous ignorant diatribes against Republicans and Conservatives are starting to get really annoying. I'm actually thinking about leaving the forum because of all the ignorant conspiracy-theorist America/Bush/Republican/Conservative/Israel-haters here.

I feel the same. Like I've said I used to respect Ripley but everytime I see one of her posts all I think about is one of those soccer mom do gooders with an Obama sticker on the minivan.

I want to stay though, it's fun watching them all gather behind Obama. This way when everything collapses I'll be here to say I told you so. And you can guarentee I'll rub it in.

Left-Right...... The Federal Government is a false paradigm.... an illusion.

Its pointless to argue Democrat or Republican because they are two heads who pretend to fight with each other yet are fed by the same body.

linked-image

Both parties refuse to acknowledge the complete failure of the American monetary system[the un-Federal Reserve]

Both parties are complicate in undermining the Republic.

Edited by acidhead

Its pointless to argue Democrat or Republican because they are both the same party fed by the same body.

linked-image

Both sides of the aisle are liars. Corrupt and only out to keep each other rich and in power. I believe there was a time when the people elected cared for their constituents, but that high up, that powerful...it is all about money and power and staying in business. We have been sold up the river a long time ago. All of them are milking the government teat for all they can get until the collapse and then they will be set for life and the rest of us will be screwed.

They could care less.

Democrats AND republicans have destroyed this country...do you think they are going to fix it? THEY are the ones who bumbled and mishandled billions of dollars, and now they know how to fix it? If they know how to fix it now, why didnt they prevent it before? Because they didnt see it coming and dont know what to do. Any number of economist cant seem to agree on the best course.

So whether 60% of the folks taking money are republicans or 10% or 90% or 0%...it really doesnt matter. 100% of us civilians are SCREWED. We have been burdened with tens of thousands of dollars in debt with no gurantee that it will work, and a small possibility it could stretch out the problem and make it just worse and last longer. We werent asked about it, we didnt get to vote about it. It was taken from us. That was republicans and democrats that did that. Obama did that, and Bush did that too.

No ones hands are clean.

Both sides of the aisle are liars. Corrupt and only out to keep each other rich and in power. I believe there was a time when the people elected cared for their constituents, but that high up, that powerful...it is all about money and power and staying in business. We have been sold up the river a long time ago. All of them are milking the government teat for all they can get until the collapse and then they will be set for life and the rest of us will be screwed.

They could care less.

Democrats AND republicans have destroyed this country...do you think they are going to fix it? THEY are the ones who bumbled and mishandled billions of dollars, and now they know how to fix it? If they know how to fix it now, why didnt they prevent it before? Because they didnt see it coming and dont know what to do. Any number of economist cant seem to agree on the best course.

So whether 60% of the folks taking money are republicans or 10% or 90% or 0%...it really doesnt matter. 100% of us civilians are SCREWED. We have been burdened with tens of thousands of dollars in debt with no gurantee that it will work, and a small possibility it could stretch out the problem and make it just worse and last longer. We werent asked about it, we didnt get to vote about it. It was taken from us. That was republicans and democrats that did that. Obama did that, and Bush did that too.

No ones hands are clean.

I wholeheartedly agree. I just don't like everyone jumping on the "HOPE" bandwagon like we're gonna cruise out of this recession within a year. It makes me think less of the people in my country...which I don't like doing.

It also doesn't help in the current economy to throw money around without regard to the impact it will have.

Ah but it does.

Who passed the stimulus bill? Democrat Congress

And who signed and approved it? Democrat President

And a very good thing it was. You have no idea now immensely satisfying that is. No amount of economic nihilism or neo-hooverism will stop things from getting better.

And a very good thing it was. You have no idea now immensely satisfying that is. No amount of economic nihilism or neo-hooverism will stop things from getting better.

Immensely satisfying indeed that the stock market took a dive after the Stimulus was signed by the President.

Getting better, huh?

Edited by AROCES

Immensely satisfying indeed that the stock market took a dive after the Stimulus was signed by the President.

Getting better, huh?

Did you happen to notice that any other economic news could effect the stock market? (And by stock market I suppose you are referring to the DOW which is actually just 30 companies of thousands up thousands of stocks available) I am not saying that the stimulus didn't have an effect at all, but there were other factors at play long before the stimulus bill was even thought of.

(I'll give a hint, it has to do with companies admitting to how profitable they are/were/will be)

Its pointless to argue Democrat or Republican because they are two heads who pretend to fight with each other yet are fed by the same body.

linked-image

Both parties refuse to acknowledge the complete failure of the American monetary system[the un-Federal Reserve]

Both parties are complicate in undermining the Republic.

couldnt have put it any better.

Did you happen to notice that any other economic news could effect the stock market? (And by stock market I suppose you are referring to the DOW which is actually just 30 companies of thousands up thousands of stocks available) I am not saying that the stimulus didn't have an effect at all, but there were other factors at play long before the stimulus bill was even thought of.

(I'll give a hint, it has to do with companies admitting to how profitable they are/were/will be)

We all know that. But the issue is the Stimulus was not a good news for the market and you saw that as well.

Getting better, huh?

It has not even taken effect yet. The stock market reacts to all sort of bizarre stuff. Most of which is pure BS. We have CNBC claiming for the past year that everything is ok and the downturn is over. The stock market will be an indicator of the stimulus some time later. It's current behavior can be directly attributed to republicans and republican policies of the last 8 years.