Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

‘I only know what I hear on Fox News’ says

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31    Dr. Mirdad

Dr. Mirdad

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 252 posts

• “Ask not of things to shed their veils. Unveil yourselves, and things will be unveiled.”

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 25 January 2013 - 01:25 AM, said:

Argue anything you like but calling terrorists Islamic is truth. Calling all Islamist terrorists and you have an arguement and I've never heard that said.
??
So your calling all terrorists Islamist?

“Often you shall think your road impassable, sombre and companionless. Have will and plod along; and round each curve you shall find a new companion.”

#32    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

does any one knows what kind of reaction the world and media would have had
should a muslim man set a church on fire ??
would be the same reaction ?

why muslims have to suffer as group for actions of individuals
and why other religious group do not suffer from the action of one person
if that's not racisim . i don't know what is racisim anymore

by the name of Allah the Gracious the Merciful
Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots
And from the evil of an envier when he envies"
truthful was Allah The Most High And Great

#33    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 23 December 2012 - 05:02 PM, said:

45 beers and got in a car and drove to a Mosque.  It is a wonder he didn't kill somebody on the way there.  I don't think 20 years is enough. You can't get Fox news in Canada, so I am told, because they have laws about lieing on the news.
That would indicate to me that Canada is engaging in censorship.

#34    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

We get about a dozen English TV channels here, mainly cable networks -- not the American broadcast networks -- so I miss PBS and Fox and MSNBC.  We do get CNBC and BBC for news (as well as an all news English channel originating in Singapore).

This is a pretty good political balance I think, but I make it a point to read the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, and the two Washington papers (Times and Post) to get balance.  I of course can't read them entirely but I scan the headlines and do read most of the editorials. (This plus two British papers, the Times and the Guardian).

I think people should discipline themselves to watch and read things they disagree with.  There are usually several good arguments on every side of every issue, and if one reads only one side of things, one progressively gets more and more ideologically ossified.

#35    Mantis914

Mantis914

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 23 December 2012 - 05:02 PM, said:

45 beers and got in a car and drove to a Mosque.  It is a wonder he didn't kill somebody on the way there.  I don't think 20 years is enough. You can't get Fox news in Canada, so I am told, because they have laws about lieing on the news.

If that's the case, you couldn't get a politician in front of a news camera...

#36    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,330 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

So..let's see if I understand this.
A man gets stupefyingly drunk then goes and commits vandalism then blames tv for making him do these things?
He is stupid, gullible and easily manipulated.
Just how stupid does society plan on becoming anyways?

#37    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,537 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 25 January 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

I think people should discipline themselves to watch and read things they disagree with.  There are usually several good arguments on every side of every issue, and if one reads only one side of things, one progressively gets more and more ideologically ossified.
My Signature quote should sum this up quite nicely :tu:

Edit: It's not my signature, but it is another Hebrew Proverb - "The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him". (Proverbs 18:17).  Basically, the first who speaks sounds convincing. And unless you look at alternative points of view which may be equally convincing, you haven't a hope of understanding.

Edited by Paranoid Android, 25 January 2013 - 04:16 PM.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#38    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,400 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

The arsonist made up an excuse to try in getting away with the crime: I don't think FOX News encourages hatred against a religion or violent actions towards a group of people. They spout hysteria in the name of TV ratings and a cheap thrill in selling their conservative agenda. Also what on earth anyone had 45 beers...impossible, the man assumed he drank that many, so he was completely drunk not to know how many he had.

Edited by Tsa-La-Gie Oyate, 25 January 2013 - 04:33 PM.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#39    sam12six

sam12six

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

View PostTsa-La-Gie Oyate, on 25 January 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

Also what on earth anyone had 45 beers...impossible, the man assumed he drank that many, so he was completely drunk not to know how many he had.

I can pretty easily drink about half that in a casual night out shooting pool. It shouldn't be that difficult for someone doing nothing but sitting drinking and being mad to down a couple of cases in the course of a long evening.

As far as the FOX vs everybody else media discussion, as always, it both amuses me and saddens me to watch the sides go back and forth. The media is like a debate team meet. The sides each have their talking points to defend and their goal isn't to be right or tell the truth, it's to sound more convincing. The only difference is that the sponsors of this particular debate team meet are using it as a distraction so no one will notice them circulating through the audience picking pockets.

As far as the actual subject of the thread, I really hope the FOX Defense wasn't actually a factor in his reduced sentence. It's as specious a defense as a kidnapper and rapist saying he watched Popeye cartoons and knew kidnapping was OK since Bluto kept grabbing Olive Oyl without ever ending up in prison.

The "hate speech needs to be banned" people frustrate me. First, what constitutes hate speech is purely subjective (barring situations where someone literally suggests that listeners commit crimes). Second, it's like the nuts who shoot up schools. There are crazy people who are ticking time bombs who will eventually go off. All they're looking for is something to point them in a given direction. Sure, certain political viewpoints give them a more clear direction, but in absence of those, they'll eventually hear God or Satan telling them what to do. Eliminating speech that might cause someone to dislike someone isn't the solution, the solution is finding a way to identify walking time bombs before they go off.

#40    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 12,632 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

View Postlightly, on 24 December 2012 - 10:36 PM, said:

if this poor guy learned,  from Fox news that  THE muslims don't believe in jesus,   then that's one more thing they are both Wrong about.   The Quran version is very similar to the Bible. ..including virgin birth.

.. i don't want "political views"  from something claiming to be a news source.
Where, pray tell, do you find real news any longer?  The big 3?  CNN perhaps?   And yes the Muslims believe in Issa.  He will destroy the crosses (ban Christianity) and kill all those who do not convert to Islam.  I'd say that's not quite the same Jesus I learned to love.

Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#41    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,969 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

View PostDr. Mrdad, on 25 January 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

??
So your calling all terrorists Islamist?
Are you trying to pull me into a strawman argument? Sure there are terrorists of all creeds but America's problem is with a particular type. Islamic. You can play technicalities all day but unless you've just awoken from a 12 year coma when you hear the word terrorist in an American news forum it will always mean Islamic unless specifically stated otherwise.

Posted Image

#42    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:34 AM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 25 January 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:

Are you trying to pull me into a strawman argument? Sure there are terrorists of all creeds

No they are not.
Give us a list of all the Amish, Jain, or Zoroastrian terrorists if you want to claim that.
Fact is, there are different religions with different contents out there. Some spawn terrorists, others do not.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#43    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,969 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:39 AM

View PostZaphod222, on 01 February 2013 - 04:34 AM, said:

No they are not.
Give us a list of all the Amish, Jain, or Zoroastrian terrorists if you want to claim that.
Fact is, there are different religions with different contents out there. Some spawn terrorists, others do not.
I'm not going to do that. All I was saying is that terrorists by definition are everywhere in the world. They don't have to have a religious drive.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-, 01 February 2013 - 04:40 AM.

Posted Image

#44    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:03 AM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 01 February 2013 - 04:39 AM, said:

I'm not going to do that. All I was saying is that terrorists by definition are everywhere in the world. They don't have to have a religious drive.

Not all terrorists have to have "religious drive". But the islamic holy war against the USA is an entirely islamic undertaking.
It is absurd to try to claim that the islamic jihad is unrelated to religion.

Edited by Zaphod222, 01 February 2013 - 05:04 AM.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#45    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,969 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:07 AM

Hey man I agree. I think you've got my words taken out of context.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users