Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 3 votes

Favorite Historical Mystery

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#91    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,089 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:13 PM

As many will know, one of my most favorite mysteries is "Doggerland" :

http://www.unexplain...0

It was the area that is now the North Sea, and it got catastrophically flooded around 6150 BCE, after it was already steadily sinking because of rising sea levels and post glacial isostatic adjustment.

Why is it a mystery to me?

Because it was something close to a post-glacial North European paradise, it was densely populated, and because no recognizable myths have survived of its final submergence (caused by a huge tsunami that may have lasted for 2 days on end).

And the Strait of Dover  - formed right after the tsunami caused by the Storegga Slide - looked quite differently : many huge white cliffs standing close together and by that creating a dangerous situation (very strong sea currents)  for those who wanted to sail through it (and they did have boats back then, 8150 BP).

If there ever had been real "Pillars of Hercules", then these would have been it, 8150 years ago.

And those brave enough to pass those huge white chalk pillars would enter a shallow sea with mud shoals and a few remaining islands.

Edited by Abramelin, 11 June 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#92    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,670 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

This site always gives endless unexplained mysteries in all contexts: http://listverse.com...-spooky-things/

#93    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,773 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

View PostGatofeo, on 10 June 2013 - 04:13 AM, said:

And the ever-present mystery:
Why can't women drivers understand the concept of a 4-way stop sign? She could have a PhD in astrophysics from Harvard -- pull up to a 4-way interersection: can't figure out who goes next and when she goes. <grumble>
The real mystery is the people that don't even have a stop sign who come to a complete stop and then start waving out their window to get you to go ahead. These people are responsible for countless crashes as the unwitting victim pulls out and is hit by someone going around the idiot in the other lane.

The other problem people are the ones that are doing 35 mph in a 55 mph zone and then when you pass them, all of a sudden they're tailgating you and doing 60 mph, with murder on their face, in the mirror. What is funny is that if you speed up and get a little ahead of them, or switch lanes, then they go back to doing 35mph.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#94    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,773 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

View Postsards, on 07 June 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

For me the most important mystery is finding the Alexandria Library
It burned down, fell over and sank into the swamp...

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#95    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,670 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

It will take me some time to find the sources but... I believe that the repository at Alexandria and many of the countless tomes held there had already been translated and distributed to other founts of Learning. I will need to re-check this, but I believe that the city of Toledo (Spain) held several hundred of these ancient documents and were consulted by the Jewish, Christian, and Arabic scholars that had been invited by the Moorish Rulers to live there over a period of several centuries. It is a magical place, built on a steep hill, but probably more famous for its sword-manufacturies that span over 1,000 years.

Sevilla was also another city of learning, and Avilla,  in those times and much of what these scholars learned and recorded gave rise to the "Enlightenment" in Europe after the Dark Ages.

#96    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 8,818 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:21 PM

Keithisco is correct, though no doubt many of the copies have also been lost.

The Library at Alexandria used underhanded means to buttress its collection.  Egypt had a law that all writings brought to port must be given over to the Library for copying.  Then the Library returned the copies, not the originals.

Plenty of research was done at the Library though.  The results of the research done there was also lost, unless it had been written about and the writings brought to another city.

Plenty was lost, that's for sure.  But nothing Earth shattering.  There were almost certainly no ancient Egyptian writings there.  It was a Greek library through and through, and by then not even the Egyptians knew the extent of their own history.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#97    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,670 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:00 PM

View PostHarte, on 11 June 2013 - 10:21 PM, said:

Keithisco is correct, though no doubt many of the copies have also been lost.

The Library at Alexandria used underhanded means to buttress its collection.  Egypt had a law that all writings brought to port must be given over to the Library for copying.  Then the Library returned the copies, not the originals.

Plenty of research was done at the Library though.  The results of the research done there was also lost, unless it had been written about and the writings brought to another city.

Plenty was lost, that's for sure.  But nothing Earth shattering.  There were almost certainly no ancient Egyptian writings there.  It was a Greek library through and through, and by then not even the Egyptians knew the extent of their own history.

Harte

So true Harte, and also so sad...
I am planning a trip a trip to Toledo in 3 weeks and have arranged to meet with the Keeper of Antiquities (poor Spanish translation, but you know what I mean). I am not getting my hopes up for anything extraordinary, but as most of the original documents are sealed in an environmental vault, and rarely seen, then there is always hope...

If the link can be proven between documents there with the documents that may have been at Alexandria then that is enough reward for me.

#98    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,530 posts

• Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge -Albert Einstein

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:51 AM

View Postthe L, on 11 June 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

Ctesibius works."father of pneumatics"  (none of his works survived)
Dionysius of Thrace Language works
Euclid geometry works.
Herophilus works, who defined that brain not heart is seat of intelligence.
Archimedes works
Astonomer Ptolomey works
Hypatia works(?)
Eratosthanus works who messured size of earth
Aristarchus of Samos book was in Alexandria who argued that earth orbits around sun and that stars are very far away.
Three volumes of history of the world written by Babylonian priest Berrosus were lost.
volume I had from creation of the world to hte great flood. And Bible have few pages from beging of time till flood. Berrosus wrote whole book.
Aristotele works. (This topic is topic of its own)
Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides tragedies.
Anaximander of Miletus  works. (Carl Sagan: For ages men had used sticks to club and spear eachother and Anaximander used stick to messure time) beside others things he do. He done first experiment in the history.(?)

To name a few.
I think that one document survive and it was a list of "all" books kept in library.
Hey L.. is that all thoughts and speculations, or actually evidence that, it was in fact at the library at alexandria?

"The Truth Is Out There, Its Up To Us To Find The Answers."

"Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge." - Einstein

#99    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,530 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:53 AM

View Postkeithisco, on 11 June 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

This site always gives endless unexplained mysteries in all contexts: http://listverse.com...-spooky-things/
there is a site like that but even better... http://www.crystalinks.com/ (CLICK A-Z) EVERYTHINGGG IS ON THEre

#100    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,530 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:54 AM

View Postkeithisco, on 11 June 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

It will take me some time to find the sources but... I believe that the repository at Alexandria and many of the countless tomes held there had already been translated and distributed to other founts of Learning. I will need to re-check this, but I believe that the city of Toledo (Spain) held several hundred of these ancient documents and were consulted by the Jewish, Christian, and Arabic scholars that had been invited by the Moorish Rulers to live there over a period of several centuries. It is a magical place, built on a steep hill, but probably more famous for its sword-manufacturies that span over 1,000 years.

Sevilla was also another city of learning, and Avilla,  in those times and much of what these scholars learned and recorded gave rise to the "Enlightenment" in Europe after the Dark Ages.
i think it burned down?

#101    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,530 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:58 AM

The Belmez Faces

Posted ImageIn 1971, in the small Spanish village of Belmez, Maria Pereira claimed a human face spontaneously appeared on her cement kitchen floor. It wasn't long before she destroyed the floor and replaced it - and a new face promptly appeared.

More and more faces continued to appear on the floor of Maria Pereira's kitchen, attracting thousands of visitors every day. Some were male, some female, some large, and some small. In time, she discovered that the house, built around 1830, apparently stood above a graveyard used by the Romans, Spanish Muslims and then Medieval Christians.

But did Maria Pereira just paint the faces herself?

If so, she never benefited financially from all the attention. She lived a simple life in that same house and eventually died in 2004.

Paranormal fans who just love these unexplained mysteries suggest that the faces were manifested on the floor by telekinesis. This notion was based on the claim that the expressions on their faces used to change with the mood of Maria Pereira.

Of course, scientists have found it possible to analyze the molecular changes in the whitewash and prove that some fakery was involved. Many now believe that the paintings were actually created by Maria's son, Diego Pereira.

#102    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,530 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:05 AM

D. B. Cooper (aka “Dan Cooper”) is a pseudonym given to a notorious aircraft hijacker who, on November 24, 1971, after receiving a ransom payout of $200,000, leapt from the back of a Boeing 727 as it was flying over the Pacific Northwest somewhere over the southern Cascades.
Cooper has not been seen since and it is not known whether he survived the jump. In 1980, an eight year old boy found $5,800 of soggy $20 bills washed up on the banks of the Columbia river. The serial numbers matched those of the ransom money which had been noted to make it easier to track Cooper later.
Cooper escaped from the plane by jumping off the rear airstair with a parachute leading aviation authorities to add stricter measures about the design of planes to prevent it from happening again. In addition, this event caused airports to install metal detectors for the first time.

#103    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,530 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:09 AM

The Green Children of Woolpit were two children who appeared in the village of Woolpit in Suffolk, UK, in the 12th century. The children were brother and sister and they had green colored skin. Their appearance was normal in all other areas. They spoke an unrecognized language and refused to eat anything other than pitch from bean pods. Eventually their skin lost its green color. When they learned English they explained that they were from the ‘Land of St Martin’ which was a dark place because the sun never rose far above the horizon. They claimed that they were tending their father’s herd and followed a river of light when they heard the sounds of bells – finding themselves in Woolpit.
Some of the more unusual theories proposed for the origin of the children are that they were Hollow Earth children, parallel dimension children, or Extraterrestrial children.

Those are some other interesting unexplained mysteries I've been reading about. THere is soooo much out there its always fun to post and see the replies from everyone and talk about some of this stuff.

#104    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:33 AM

View PostLucidElement, on 12 June 2013 - 03:51 AM, said:

Hey L.. is that all thoughts and speculations, or actually evidence that, it was in fact at the library at alexandria?

As I said before I think there is a list of works (which is not complete) what was in library. I study about library some 5 years ago. If you insist I could check.
Despite what Harte said we actually cant know is there any earth shaking work.
Perhaps one ancient mathmatician found formula for calculating prime numbers. We dont know.
As a proof that there WAS a earth shaking works there is that we dont have all major Aristotele works. We glorify Aristotele based on his notes for education his pupils which we collect in book and called a book. Now you can imagine what hides in other LOST Aristotele works which he personally collected and thought it was important. We actually have only Aristotele sketches not art.
Also despite what keithisco wrote libraries in Spain didnt have lost work from Alexandria. For example see above my example of Aristotele.
What was lost was lost. During library of Alexandria there were two more great libraries in ancient world which didnt have half of books what lied in Alexandria.
We know that based on fact that we dont have preserved major works of ancient world. Also Alexandria was center of world and have famous library.
Its logic to conclude that have greatest number of works.
Also despite what keithisco said about Enlightenment and dark ages...well there is period in between which move Europe from dark ages and its called renaissance.
And its based on European scholars mosty Cicero. When in renaissance earth wasnt center of universe but sun, suprisingly man become center of universe.
That doctrine is called humanism. And its responsible for renaissance. Ofcourse there are others factors as Ottoman conquest of Constantinopolis and influnces on Cicero and then  Islam scholars. But humanism led to todays science and it was invented in Europe. Imho opinion its greatest European invention.
But those libraries in Spain were great.
Also Harte said that Egyptians didnt know their own history. Well... British and Americans dont know their own history too but their historians DO know.
Same here. Egyptians didnt know but Berrosus maybe wrote chapter about their history. We cant know for sure did they or didnot know own history.
Harte conclude that on speculations that we today know more about AE then AE themselves. Which are pure speculations.

Edited by the L, 12 June 2013 - 06:55 AM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#105    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:57 AM

When I mention prime numbers...I think thats one of my favourites scientific historical mystery.
Right now to find large prime number reward is 150 000 $
And to find formula, reward is immortality. :w00t:

Maybe we UMers should open a thread and try to find soultion.
I have my "formula" with which I can get to high prime numbers. But it doenst work always. I have one young female mathmatician which helps me a little. If we discover something I will let you know. (Meaning probably wont.Because Im far from 1/4 Euler)

Edited by the L, 12 June 2013 - 07:05 AM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users