Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman starts speaking in past-life language

UM-Bot

A woman in India suddenly started speaking in a form of Bengali that was used over 150 years ago.

In a baffling case from the 1970s, reincarnation researcher Ian Stevenson investigated the mystery surrounding 32-year-old Uttara Huddar who, out of nowhere, suddenly started to speak fluently in a language that she had never learned or been exposed to.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...t-life-language

• Like 1

The article skips the fact she was being treated in a psychiatric hospital at the time..

• Like 2

Interesting. I wonder what the truth is.

• Like 1

Interesting. I wonder what the truth is.

I do hate bursting bubbles but, the truth is...

Uttara Huddar was a woman in India who normally spoke Marathi. While in the hospital undergoing psychiatric treatment, she began manifesting a personality called Sharada, who spoke in Bengali. Stevenson had recordings analysed by Bengali speakers, who disagreed among themselves about the subject's fluency.[5] It cannot be ruled out that the subject may have learned Bengali earlier in life: both she and her father had a long-standing interest in Bengal, her home city had 1% native Bengali speakers, she had read Bengali novels in translation, and she herself had taken lessons in reading Bengali.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenoglossy#Cases_subjected_to_scientific_investigation

You know, the English language from 150 years ago is something Ive never (knowingly) spoken, but I dont think it will be out of the question for me to be able to pick it up real quick! Were my great grandma still here Im sure we could understand one another. 150 years isnt much time for a language to change

• Like 9

I do hate bursting bubbles but, the truth is...

Uttara Huddar was a woman in India who normally spoke Marathi. While in the hospital undergoing psychiatric treatment, she began manifesting a personality called Sharada, who spoke in Bengali. Stevenson had recordings analysed by Bengali speakers, who disagreed among themselves about the subject's fluency.[5] It cannot be ruled out that the subject may have learned Bengali earlier in life: both she and her father had a long-standing interest in Bengal, her home city had 1% native Bengali speakers, she had read Bengali novels in translation, and she herself had taken lessons in reading Bengali.[6]

http://en.wikipedia....c_investigation

You know, the English language from 150 years ago is something Ive never (knowingly) spoken, but I dont think it will be out of the question for me to be able to pick it up real quick! Were my great grandma still here Im sure we could understand one another. 150 years isnt much time for a language to change

Case closed

• Like 3

Very true, But it doesn't explain why teenagers are so hard to understand, Mine just communicates in a series of grunts that only his friends seem to understand.

• Like 4

I was so skeptical, that I was not even willing to do the 10 minutes of research it took seeder to find more info, haha.

• Like 1

I would be far more impressed if she woke up making 150 year old sandwich recipes.

• Like 2

Very true, But it doesn't explain why teenagers are so hard to understand, Mine just communicates in a series of grunts that only his friends seem to understand.

You have to isolate them(Like a vacation in the wilderness or France) then they have no option but to talk english to you. The problem is that once they start talking you may regret it lol.

• Like 3

You have to isolate them(Like a vacation in the wilderness or France) then they have no option but to talk english to you. The problem is that once they start talking you may regret it lol.

Aint that a fact!

Kids..bah! ..you spend the first 2 years teaching them how to stand up and talk...... and then spend the next 16 years telling them to shut up and sit down :w00t:

I was so skeptical, that I was not even willing to do the 10 minutes of research it took seeder to find more info, haha.

In fairness Ive come across this tale before

• Like 2

I find cases of people who get a knock to the head and then wake up with genius level abilities, like a person with no musical talent who is then able to play Beethoven or with the ability to create stunning works of art much more interesting.

• Like 2

But the correspondence between the genealogy and her statements about the relationships of the male members of the family seems beyond coincidence,” Stevenson wrote in a paper published in The Journal of the American Society for Psychical Research in July 1980 ...

Yeah but .... this story has far too many holes in it for me to find credible. An educated woman with multiple personalities and with a father who had an intense interest in that region and time period. How difficult would it have been for her to get access to the same material he checked? She was a double M.A.

A bit of information, a dash of dramatic flair mixed with a pinch of delusion and whala!

Stevenson wrote on far more intriguing cases. Why has this one surfaced after all this time?

• Like 1

I find cases of people who get a knock to the head and then wake up with genius level abilities, like a person with no musical talent who is then able to play Beethoven or with the ability to create stunning works of art much more interesting.

Do you mean that you hear about cases or read about them on forums like this?

I'll wager my house that there has never been a case of someone who could not play Beethoven who got knocked in the head and suddenly, with no further training, could play Beethoven. Maybe a change in brain chemistry or structure improved their ability to learn some things, but not that they could just suddenly play an instrument they could not play before.

Happens to me sometimes after a night on the vodka.

Your irreverent comments are as bad as mine. Happy to know you.

Your irreverent comments are as bad as mine. Happy to know you.

Why, thank you!

Edited by SheWomanCatTypeThing

I'll wager my house that there has never been a case of someone who could not play Beethoven who got knocked in the head and suddenly, with no further training, could play Beethoven. Maybe a change in brain chemistry or structure improved their ability to learn some things, but not that they could just suddenly play an instrument they could not play before.

Next time you're going to try to tell us acquired savant syndrome doesn't exist.

edit: oh wait...

Edited by Rolci

I wish Stevenson were still around to investigate cases like Cpt. Robert Snow's. We have too few good researchers and even less common sense people who are willing to undergo a past life regression, note down the facts and check them out like this police captain has. When there is a 100% match you know something's going on, but of course it's easier to be an armchair skeptic, so why bother.

...We have too few good researchers...

Yeah Rolci, I'm wid yoo. Dese ones nowadays use too much information and evidence and come to really boring conclusions. Not like the good ole days when you could just call yourself a researcher and say any old .. er really cool theory and be beleeved!! Thems were the dayz.

Don't know about reincarnation but, matter,and maybe the information it, cannot be destroyed.

Johnny Winter just died who sai who was Jimi Hendix even thogh he was alive when Jimi died. Who's the new/Jimi/Johnny?

Don't know about reincarnation but, matter,and maybe the information in it, cannot be destroyed?.

Johnny Winter just died who said he was Jimi Hendrix even though he was alive when Jimi died. Who's the new/Jimi/Johnny?

Really ha!.... Let me know when you find out!

Edited by mskate

http://nypost.com/2014/04/20/how-a-brain-injury-turned-a-college-dropout-into-a-genius/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2583329/Brain-injury-leaves-woman-new-artistic-talent.html

Do I have a house now?

Edited by Rolci

Get a few Old Ales down Old Harry Bartlett in the Snug during the evening and he'll talk to you for hours in all kinds of incomprehensible tongues and dialects!

(Mind you, he doesn't make a great deal of sense when he's sober....1988 if I remember rightly)