Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Toad in the Hole

djdodo

user posted image

This toad was found inside a sealed - hollow flint nodule in 1900 - when quarrymen near Lewes - Sussex - cracked it open. Its mummified body and the parts of its tomb can be seen in the Booth Museum - Brighton. While this particular animal was found dead - there are many well documented cases of freshly quarried stones broken open to reveal a living toad in a close -fitting hole - with no apparent way in. If the stone formed around the toad - how could it survive millions of years without sustenance - or withstand the heat ans terrible pressure necessary to create rocks ?

This amazing .. I never saw anything like this .. I mean .. no food no water .. not even air .. What a mystery to be solved .. rolleyes.gifcool.gif

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• djdodo

• Kryso

• Aslan

• gollum

Top Posters In This Topic

Possibly some sort of suspended animation? There are some animals( I think its mice...i'm not sure) that actually freeze during winter months and then literally thaw out in the summer. thumbsup.gif

as i know .. Frogs freeze in the pond in winter .. then come back to life .. but this case is diffrent .. The frog is not frozen blink.gif

Maybe in its tadpole like stage it found a small crack and wiggled through. And it the tadpole was there, then it means that water had to be around it as well. So if these rocks are flint, or other formations, then maybe the frog survived by licking dripping water, that contained high concentrations of minerals, that washed down through the rock? And as it grew, it became to big to get back out again, and with the dripping water, the hole was sealed, the same way a stalactite forms? Then it’s body entered a hibernation state! That’s my uneducated guess!

Maybe in its tadpole like stage it found a small crack and wiggled through. And it the tadpole was there, then it means that water had to be around it as well. So if these rocks are flint, or other formations, then maybe the frog survived by licking dripping water, that contained high concentrations of minerals, that washed down through the rock? And as it grew, it became to big to get back out again, and with the dripping water, the hole was sealed, the same way a stalactite forms? Then it’s body entered a hibernation state! That’s my uneducated guess!

your uneducated guess, sounds quite educated, and probably the best explaination i've heard!

What interests me more is why was there a void inside the flint in the first place, i often go flint hunting in a disused quarry to nap (the flint not to have a kip) and very rarely come accross hollow flint, sure i've found things like other rocks in side or fossles but the fossles are allway flat but never in a void.

What happened to the item that caused the void? it's not a frog shaped void so what caused it to be there?

Then again i don't spend all my life in a quarry and pound to a penny i'll find a voided flint now i've said all this!

"sods law" live by it, die by it and be made to look stupid by it!!

It's probally just a frog (a really old frog) that went into hibernation and because of something... (earthquake, fire, radiation) it didnt wake up as it was supposed to and went into suspended animation. While in my backyard several years ago (miles upon miles from any lake, forrest, or even a puddle) My dog was digging a hole for about 2 years. After much curiosity, I finally got my mom to let me find out what he was digging for. about 3 ft down I came across a pale grey frog in the ground. as soon as I dug him out he came back to life. I took a pic of him, but lost it a while ago. if anyone knows what it is, that would be great. It was 2" long and was a dull grey color, + was found in the middle of kansas.

It's probally just a frog (a really old frog) that went into My dog was digging a hole for about 2 years, about 3 ft down I came across a pale grey frog in the ground. as soon as I dug him out he came back to life. if anyone knows what it is, that would be great. It was 2" long and was a dull grey color, + was found in the middle of kansas.

Frogs do hibernate for all sorts of reasons. A frog will dig down many meters sometimes, in soil or boggy ground, and can then go into a state of hibernation for years at a time! As I said on another post, one frog has been known to go into hibernation for 27 years! (Some types of frogs can live to 40 years old!)

I’m not sure what type of frog - or toad - your little dogs friend was. Maybe it lost some colouring after being in the ground - in hibernation - for years, which slowly sucks the life from the particular creature, and they slowly start to consume their own bodies, in the sense of fat, tissue etcetera!

I don't know about how the creatures get into the stone, but there was one scientist that placed three toads into three seperate cases of plastic, then 13 years later cracked them open, and two of the three were still alive. I can't say how strict this test was conducted, but it seems that they can remain alive without nurishment, or air.

I've also heard instances of a coal miner finding metal thimbles, or even necklaces, and coins inside blocks of coal, upon testing the items were only 50-100 years old, even tho the coal veins were much older.

It's an interesting photo, Dj.

According to this book I have open on my knees at the moment, it was given to Booth Museum by somebody called Charles Dawson, a 'known hoaxer' - which does tend to cast doubt on things.

Having said that, cases of entombed animals do undoubtedly happen. The Fortean Times has run a few good articles on the subject over the years.

Try this:

Unmuseum

Edited by Aslan